How to not get dizzy during a layback spin? | Golden Skate

How to not get dizzy during a layback spin?

autumnsun

Spectator
I’ve been working on my layback spin lately and I can’t figure out how to not get dizzy while spinning. If I do a ‘layback’ while looking straight ahead of me, I’m perfectly fine (although i can’t arch my back as much as I need to by looking forward, I’m just sticking my leg far out behind me). Whenever I begin to look at the ceiling while spinning, I loose my balance and go on my toe pick. Any suggestions?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’ve been working on my layback spin lately and I can’t figure out how to not get dizzy while spinning. If I do a ‘layback’ while looking straight ahead of me, I’m perfectly fine (although i can’t arch my back as much as I need to by looking forward, I’m just sticking my leg far out behind me). Whenever I begin to look at the ceiling while spinning, I loose my balance and go on my toe pick. Any suggestions?
Your coach should be teaching you these techniques or you should be asking them. If you can't talk to your coach and properly learn from them, you must find one that you can.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Agree with Ic3Rabbit. Your problem does not sound like a dizziness problem. It sounds like a balance problem. They can be related, however they aren't always. Either way, you need to have a coach that can diagnose the issue and help you fix it.

As for dizziness, you get used to it. I promise. I've been skating for years and it eventually gets better. Don't take this to mean that it goes away; it doesn't. Eventually, you'll be able to skate through it.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In one of Roman Sadovsky's "back to the ice" videos he talked about getting dizzy when you spin. He is a very good (and fast) spinner, and he said he gets used to it and doesn't get dizzy. But after a layoff from skating, he got dizzy from spinning. He had to gradually increase the speed, number of revolutions, and number of spins he did until he grew accustomed to spinning again.

chiyung

Rinkside
In one of Roman Sadovsky's "back to the ice" videos he talked about getting dizzy when you spin. He is a very good (and fast) spinner, and he said he gets used to it and doesn't get dizzy. But after a layoff from skating, he got dizzy from spinning. He had to gradually increase the speed, number of revolutions, and number of spins he did until he grew accustomed to spinning again.
This is so true for my daughter. She got dizzy when she started the layback spin (as well as the invert camel spin), and then got used to it. Then when she tried to spin faster, she got dizzy again. Every time she tried to increase the rotational speed of the spin, she got dizzy at first, and then her body adjusted.

I recall that when my daughter started learning the layback spin with her coach, she practiced spinning in scratch spin position while looking at the ceiling, in order to getting her head in that position. After her dizziness subsided after a few days, her coach slowly guided her to the correct layback and correct invert camel spin positions.

sashavis

Rinkside
Country
United-States
As some of the other posters mentioned, talk to your coach.

As for the dizziness--unfortunately, you just have to suffer through it for a while. Layback spins have made me vomit in the past due to how dizzy they made me (and I did them with proper technique, and I was taught by my coaches, don't worry--they knew about my issues with layback spins), and they just told me to keep doing them, and that the extreme dizziness would go away with time. It has (or maybe I've just gotten used to it?), and while it still makes me feel a tad bit ill, it gets better and better the longer I work on them.