Hurricane Irene | Golden Skate

Hurricane Irene

sillylionlove

Medalist
I am hoping that everyone who is being affected by Hurricane Irene (myself included) stay safe this weekend.

silverpond

On the Ice
A group of us spent the weekend working at the medical center where we're employed. We were the "command center" for the IT department, and we were on hand to ensure that all systems were operational and that our patients would continue to receive the best of care.

The rain and wind were quite intense for several hours. By 10 am on Sunday morning, the storm had passed to the north, and we were sent home. I was one of the fortunate ones to have not sustained any damage - my house is fine, with no loss of power. Many of my colleagues did not fare so well, as their power was out for several days this week.

My heart goes out to the folks in Vermont. Seeing that beautiful state suffer so much destruction was devastating. God bless them all.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Many people here in CT are still without power--we're so glad ours is back. We were under a "mandatory" evacuation, but stayed home anyway. Fortunately the ocean did not make it up to the front lawn. They warn you that there will be no police or fire coverage, but the police were up and down the street the whole storm, and fire personnel were there a few times when wires went down.

Vermont almost never has this kind of weather drama, and it is very difficult for them. They are expecting more rain soon, which won't help. I love the state, lived there 22 years, and hope that things improve for them soon.

silverpond

On the Ice
Some people north of me are still without power. The remnants of the tropical storm that hit the New Orleans area is projected to head north and east and will eventually reach the East coast in a few days. The last thing we need around here is more rain. Sure wish there was a gentle way of shifting it to Texas and other rain-starved areas!

heyang

Record Breaker
I made out pretty well. Lost power for 10 hours from 2am Sunday to about Noon. A huge tree came down in the yard, but didnt' hit anything or block anything. Tree service still hasn't had time to come out and remove it. My almost 12 yr old nephew wanted to try out the chainsaw and an ax on it. Unfortunately for him (and good for us), we don't have an ax and the chain saw is much too small to be useful for that tree.

The winds were so strong on the north side of the house that it blew water across my garage floor. As a result, I had a lot of soggy cardboard boxes. Fortunately, most of the stuff was odds and ends that I had been planning to take to the recycling center as scrap metal. Didn't care for the dead mouse I found in 1 box. I really didn't like the live mouse that jumped out of the piece of insulation I was trying to throw out.

I work near Manville NJ and Bound Brook NJ. Irene seemed much worse than Floyld judging by the piles of destroyed belongings that people have put out on the sidewalks.

The pictures of Binghampton, NY, Patterson, NJ and Vermont show mother nature at full force. Water really is so destructive while being sucn a necessary part of survival.

I hope everyone else didn't lose much due to these various storms.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Tropical storm Lee just came by and flooded the basement--something Irene didn't do. Fortunately, the sump pump worked!