I don't know if I need new skates..? | Golden Skate

I don't know if I need new skates..?

khi

Rinkside
I’m currently skating in a pair of secondhand skates (Risport “RF3 Super” with Jackson Mark V blades – no typo, that’s what they are, I’ve had one person look at them and they reckon they’re a similar profile to Coronation Aces?) which are apparently a size too big for me. They’re 250 but I’ve been measured as 240 (and my ski boots are mondopoint 23.5 so that makes sense). I assumed I’d need to buy new skates when I’m eventually able to take lessons (once I move to a place where I can, right now I’m teaching myself the best I can) because of the skates being too big.

Recently though I’ve improved my lacing technique (loose/relaxed along the foot, SUPER SUPER TIGHT across the heel bend and up through the entire ankle) and I’ve been able to secure my foot more snugly in the skate. I’ve always felt that my foot fits the skate pretty well - plenty of room for my toes, but the sides of my feet touch the sides of the skate (in fact I’m looking at getting a gel pad as my big toe joint presses against the side of the skate a little) and my heel is locked in place so I only get a cm or so of heel lift. I occasionally feel like my ankle twists a little bit on awkward jump takeoffs but I assume this is because of technique and a better fitting skate won’t help with that? (we’re talking waltz, toe loop, salchow only) I wish the ankles were narrower but I’ve tried on size 240 skates and the ankles felt just as wide, so I just tie them very tightly.

Basically is it probably okay for me to keep skating in these skates? I’d like to keep them if possible because I’ll get almost nothing for them if I sell them, they’re apparently good skates and blades which will be fine through all my singles, new skates are expensive, and I figure I can instead use that money on private lessons to undo all the bad technique I’ve probably got from teaching myself ;)

PS I’m an adult skater

tl;dr: skates a size too big but I feel like I'm able to lace them firmly anyway and skate fine but I don't know

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
It's all kind of down to how you feel about them.

One thought... I wear Edea, which is also sized in millimeters. My skate size is 5mm larger than my actual foot length. So when you say you were measured at 240, does that mean that's the length of your foot? Because like... the length of the insole is what's going to make a difference, more than the size from toe to heel of the outsole of the boot.

Actually one way you can tell if they're the right length is by pulling out the insoles and checking out the imprint. Your toes should be pretty close to the end and your heel should imprint pretty close to the heel; your foot should match the insole profile pretty closely. If not, that's a good indicator that the skates aren't the right size. But for an adult a lot of sizing does come down to personal preference, i.e. some people like lots of space, some don't. For the ankes, have you tried getting something that reduces movement, like a Bunga pad? You don't necessarily want your lacing technique to rely on securing the top hooks too tight as that will reduce your ankle flexion.

What a weird boot/blade combo you found, nice find!

khi

Rinkside
Thanks for the reply! From memory my foot length is around 230mm, maybe a nudge over. When my foot was measured after I got the skates I was told I should actually be in size 240 risport (or edea) skates. But as you say, I guess it's down to some personal preference as well.

I’ll check out the insole when I get home. I haven’t tried putting anything else in my skates to take up room/reduce movement yet, but I probably should! Or maybe I should try lacing up extra tight except for the very top hook? I’ll have to experiment next time I skate. And try to find a not-too-expensive place to get bunga pads/equivalent from…

And yeah I have no idea how those boots and blades came to be together haha! :scratch2: but they seem to work well! thanks!

JSM

On the Ice
The problem with skating in skates that are too big is that you aren't able to utilize the blade properly. I've found skaters who are in too big skates have to 'reach' for their toe picks, which will screw up all aspects (pick placement, foot pressure, timing) of jumping and landing, and their spin rocker is too far forward, affecting spins and turns. A little bit of room is one thing, but it sounds like you are in a boot several sizes too long for your foot. :(

khi

Rinkside
The problem with skating in skates that are too big is that you aren't able to utilize the blade properly. I've found skaters who are in too big skates have to 'reach' for their toe picks, which will screw up all aspects (pick placement, foot pressure, timing) of jumping and landing, and their spin rocker is too far forward, affecting spins and turns. A little bit of room is one thing, but it sounds like you are in a boot several sizes too long for your foot. :(

Bugger :( I didn't realise length could affect how easily you can reach different parts of the blade, but it makes sense now that you say that. Is there a way to find out if my skating is being adversely affected? Would this be something a coach would be able to pick up on?

I guess I'll budget for new skates just in case, and maybe see what a coach thinks once I'm in a place I can take lessons...!