Activating dorsiflexors to keep blade to ice contact more posteriorly and to avoid toe pick? | Golden Skate

Activating dorsiflexors to keep blade to ice contact more posteriorly and to avoid toe pick?

WingedScapula

Rinkside
I’ve noticed myself activating my dorsiflexors (flexing foot upwards a bit) to keep the blade contact with the ice towards the heel when in forward skating. Especially so try my new skates with their somewhat more aggressive toe pick, I’ve found myself due this much more. I’m wondering if this is normal or bad technique. Might I be positioning my body weight too far forward? The only reason I even ask is I’ve found doing this very tiring on my dorsiflexors especially after skating three days in a row (I normally skate 2x) and using new, stiff skates.

Last edited:

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I’ve noticed myself activating my dorsiflexors (flexing foot upwards a bit) to keep the blade contact with the ice towards the heel when in forward skating. Especially so try my new skates with their somewhat more aggressive toe pick, I’ve found myself due this much more. I’m wondering if this is normal or bad technique. Might I be positioning my body weight too far forward? The only reason I even ask is I’ve found doing this very tiring on my dorsiflexors especially after skating three days in a row (I normally skate 2x)
Seems like you may not have been properly fitted for your skates. I don't have any room in my boot to do this, even if I wanted to. You should be able to put weight on different parts of your foot (edges) but the motion you are describing should not really be happening. I do, however, defer to others with more knowledge.

WingedScapula

Rinkside
Seems like you may not have been properly fitted for your skates. I don't have any room in my boot to do this, even if I wanted to. You should be able to put weight on different parts of your foot (edges) but the motion you are describing should not really be happening. I do, however, defer to others with more knowledge.
Just to clarify, I mean I’m flexing the foot up with the boot, not the just foot within the boot by itself.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This is either bad technique or bad boots.

I'd definitely go get your boots looked at and explain the issue.

However, generally when I find my students doing this, it's because they aren't bending their knees and ankles enough. When you bend deep into your boot (push the tongue forward with your shin), you should automatically come off your toe picks. If bending more (while still doing it properly, have a coach watch) pushes you more onto your toe picks, then you have a skate issue for sure.

WingedScapula

Rinkside
This is either bad technique or bad boots.

I'd definitely go get your boots looked at and explain the issue.

However, generally when I find my students doing this, it's because they aren't bending their knees and ankles enough. When you bend deep into your boot (push the tongue forward with your shin), you should automatically come off your toe picks. If bending more (while still doing it properly, have a coach watch) pushes you more onto your toe picks, then you have a skate issue for sure.
Bad technique is possible. My forward skating amounts to scooter pushes alternating right and left feet, and scooter pushes. I don’t bend my knees much when doing that. When doing swizzles, I do bend my knee somewhat more and haven’t caught on my toe pick that way.

I sure hope the skates aren’t bad. Just bought them a few days ago from a fitter that came highly recommended on here.

Edit: I think I get what you are saying. When I do squats while skating, I do feel my weighting shifting a little further back and my toe picks come off more.

Last edited:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I sure hope the skates aren’t bad. Just bought them a few days ago from a fitter that came highly recommended on here.
What boots and blades do you get? If it's been only a few days, you probably haven't broken in the boots yet. You can't get a proper knee and ankle bend until you do.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If you don't bend your ankles you will never be able to know whether your skates work for you.

mangoice

Spectator
Country
United-States
I'm having the same issues. Switched to new skates from rentals. I don't feel like I can bend my ankle/knee properly and keep catching the toe pick. I have Jackson Artistes and they fit like a glove. Have only skated in them twice so far and the muscles in my feet/legs feel so sore where as they were completely fine in the rentals. I tried tying up to the 3rd hook instead of the top. I feel like I have to completely relearn to skate and it's mentally and physically tiring compared to the rentals. I know there's probably not much I can do other give it time to break them in and readjust. My sense of balance and weight placement feel completely different in these skates.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm having the same issues. Switched to new skates from rentals. I don't feel like I can bend my ankle/knee properly and keep catching the toe pick. I have Jackson Artistes and they fit like a glove. Have only skated in them twice so far and the muscles in my feet/legs feel so sore where as they were completely fine in the rentals. I tried tying up to the 3rd hook instead of the top. I feel like I have to completely relearn to skate and it's mentally and physically tiring compared to the rentals. I know there's probably not much I can do other give it time to break them in and readjust. My sense of balance and weight placement feel completely different in these skates.
Unless you are a child or very very light teen, you shouldn't even be in Artiste. They aren't supportive/stiff enough.

eclipse

Rinkside
I’ve noticed myself activating my dorsiflexors (flexing foot upwards a bit) to keep the blade contact with the ice towards the heel when in forward skating. Especially so try my new skates with their somewhat more aggressive toe pick, I’ve found myself due this much more. I’m wondering if this is normal or bad technique. Might I be positioning my body weight too far forward? The only reason I even ask is I’ve found doing this very tiring on my dorsiflexors especially after skating three days in a row (I normally skate 2x) and using new, stiff skates.
I found whenever I swapped from a softer model of boot to a stiffer boot I had to use the muscles at the front of my shin to press my knees over my toes. This led to soreness from doms and they would get more tired as I skated. However it was never to avoid staying off of the toes in the way you describe, that sounds like poor technique. You should probably post a video of basic skating to this thread so others can assess.
Soreness is normal as long as you give yourself time to rest and recover. I found exercising the ankle directly with resistant bands along with calfs and tibialis (front of lower leg) with tibialis raises (can be weighted once you get more used to the movement. Made skating a lot less tiring and made bending feel so much easier. Swapping from rentals will always be a huge adjustment as your blade will be more curved and the boots are designed to protect your ankles first and foremost.

I also echo what Ic3rabbit said, artistes won't provide enough lateral support for anything more than basics even then that is not ideal, from the sounds of it if you are struggling in these you should view them as a stepping stone and absolutely do not jump in them. You will hurt your ankle and the plastic sole can be ripped off very easily.
Bad technique is possible. My forward skating amounts to scooter pushes alternating right and left feet, and scooter pushes. I don’t bend my knees much when doing that. When doing swizzles, I do bend my knee somewhat more and haven’t caught on my toe pick that way.

Edit: I think I get what you are saying. When I do squats while skating, I do feel my weighting shifting a little further back and my toe picks come off more.
It may help you to think about bending through your ankles first when skating as everything else will follow from that. I see a lot of late starters hear bend their knees and they just think about literally squatting down with hips and knees and it wreaks havoc on their weight placement.
Just to clarify, I mean I’m flexing the foot up with the boot, not the just foot within the boot by itself.
Didn't see this until the end of this so just to finish your foot shouldn't be coming up to your shin your shins and knees should be going over your toes.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I found whenever I swapped from a softer model of boot to a stiffer boot I had to use the muscles at the front of my shin to press my knees over my toes. This led to soreness from doms and they would get more tired as I skated. However it was never to avoid staying off of the toes in the way you describe, that sounds like poor technique. You should probably post a video of basic skating to this thread so others can assess.

Soreness is normal as long as you give yourself time to rest and recover. I found exercising the ankle directly with resistant bands along with calfs and tibialis (front of lower leg) with tibialis raises (can be weighted once you get more used to the movement. Made skating a lot less tiring and made bending feel so much easier. Swapping from rentals will always be a huge adjustment as your blade will be more curved and the boots are designed to protect your ankles first and foremost.

I also echo what Ic3rabbit said, artistes won't provide enough lateral support for anything more than basics even then that is not ideal, from the sounds of it if you are struggling in these you should view them as a stepping stone and absolutely do not jump in them. You will hurt your ankle and the plastic sole can be ripped off very easily.

It may help you to think about bending through your ankles first when skating as everything else will follow from that. I see a lot of late starters hear bend their knees and they just think about literally squatting down with hips and knees and it wreaks havoc on their weight placement.

Didn't see this until the end of this so just to finish your foot shouldn't be coming up to your shin your shins and knees should be going over your toes.
Actually, I was saying they shouldn't be in them for even basics unless they are a child or a very very lightweight teen. The boot will not support them. Also, lower level boots like this designed for kids basics don't have great blades on them compared to rentals either, sadly.

WingedScapula

Rinkside
My previous boot was much softer and I felt less soreness. I recently had a lesson with my coach to focus on proper forward stroking and I felt I wasn’t as sore during that lesson when I was really focused on proper technique (deeper knee bend, proper free leg extension and all that).
Today, I was stroking with one foot around a circle to prepare for crossovers and found my shin extra sore. Have you found skating on outside edges especially tiring on the shin muscles? I’ll give those exercises a try. I definitely feel my ankle and knee are major weak points. Side note: outside edges are fun.
It may help you to think about bending through your ankles first when skating as everything else will follow from that. I see a lot of late starters here bend their knees and they just think about literally squatting down with hips and knees and it wreaks havoc on their weight placement. …….
….Didn't see this until the end of this so just to finish your foot shouldn't be coming up to your shin your shins and knees should be going over your toes.
When I went to get my blades adjusted for some alignment issues, the tech said something similar. He said I should try to think about it like I’m lowering my upper body to my feet and not squat.

mangoice

Spectator
Country
United-States
Actually, I was saying they shouldn't be in them for even basics unless they are a child or a very very lightweight teen. The boot will not support them. Also, lower level boots like this designed for kids basics don't have great blades on them compared to rentals either, sadly.
Unless you are a child or very very light teen, you shouldn't even be in Artiste. They aren't supportive/stiff enough.
Went to the pro shop at my local rink. That's what they recommend I start with. No other places to get skates here in Hawaii. I accept that I will need to find stiffer/more supportive skates to continue my journey. I'll have to travel to the mainland to find a better shop. I'm hoping to sign up for pre-alpha and hope these can get me through that and then I can invest in better skates.