I feel a bit sorry for Ashley Wagner... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

I feel a bit sorry for Ashley Wagner...

Ashley is the opposite of an underachiever. She has squeezed every drop out of the talent that the Good Lord, in His wisdom, has blessed her with. :yes:

I absolutely agree. This is someone who is not loaded with the kind of effortless natural talent that people like Nicole Bobek and Christopher Bowman had (and often threw away). Rather, Ashley has worked hard to maximize her skills and her presentation. She's served the U.S. effort well for the past few years, contributing to our regaining three spots for the Olympics and for Worlds. If she turns out not to be a medal contender, it won't be for lack of trying.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I too hope Mirai's ubers or one uber here, let up on this crusade. Ashley is a great girl, a great performer, smart, a survivor. Don't worry about her. She is fine. I just hope she does not say wrong thing in Sochi about the host country's laws. It isn't going to matter much as she is not a big pol or the Pope, but may hurt her. Otherwise she is fine.

I think after how she performed at Nationals Ashley is going to be paying more attention to how she skates then about Russian laws.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
She's been a top US skater for the past 3 years and top 5 in the World two years in a row. Not too shabby in my way of thinking. She's earned her ticket to Sochi and I'll be rooting for her, Gracie and Polina all the way.

Yup me too. i don't think Ashley has any illusions about herself but she does know she is good and ice is slippery and anything can happen. I think she wanted to go to experience the olympics and to give herself a shot at a medal. I do wish all three US women the best!!!!!!!!

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I absolutely agree. This is someone who is not loaded with the kind of effortless natural talent that people like Nicole Bobek and Christopher Bowman had (and often threw away). Rather, Ashley has worked hard to maximize her skills and her presentation. She's served the U.S. effort well for the past few years, contributing to our regaining three spots for the Olympics and for Worlds. If she turns out not to be a medal contender, it won't be for lack of trying.

Agree fully.

noskates

Record Breaker
Amen. It's just sad that people are so willing to turn on someone because they had a bad skate. I think Ashley is peaking at the right time and I wish her well. Trying to compare Ashley and Gracie is like apples and oranges. Two completely different women. I hope they both do well.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
I also agree that she's the exact opposite of an underachiever and has probably maximized her potential, barring her recent performance at nationals. Ashley's actually very lucky that she was able to peak when there was no outstanding U.S lady. Rachael and Alissa were on their way out with injury, Gracie was just coming out of the juniors and no one else could get it together. There was also no star on the international scene performing really well and a drop in techinical content for the most part of this last quad, which really allowed her to build her stock internationally. So no, I don't think she deserves a whole lot of sympathy. She's going to the Olympics. She has endorsements and is making a lot of money. She didn't make the team in an absolute clear cut manner so the backlash should be expected. Does she deserve the hate? Of course not but in the real world you just have to deal.

Kelisiting

Rinkside
Fans are so fickle. Gracie has beat Ashley exactly once. And suddenly Gracie is a gold medal contender and Ashley should retire in disgrace immediately because her time has passed...give me a break. We have no idea how they will perform in Sochi. And the U.S. ladies champ has not fared all that well at the Olympics in recent years--1998, 2002, and 2010 all saw other U.S. ladies placing higher than the national champion.

I hope all three of them skate their best in Sochi. And if that's what happens, it is hard to tell where the judges will place them.

I don't think 1998 or 2002 are good examples of how previous national champs have fared at the Olympics. Michelle Kwan won silver and bronze respectively. While they were short of her desired medal, they were still medals. Even Rachael Flatt and Mirai Nagasu did decent considering their minimal international experience in the years leading up to 2002.

However I agree that we will just have to wait and see how they skate at the Olympics. I think they all have the potential to have a good Olympics experience. Though I think the podium is a long shot for any of the three American ladies considering the international field.

guanchi

On the Ice
No need to feel sorry for her.
I agree with Mathman- she's done everything she could with the tools given. She's more an overachiever given that the other American girls possessed qualities she doesn't have- Alissa's and Zhang's spins and flexibility, Flatt's consistency, Mirai's all around ability. But look at those girls and look at her know. She's a grinder and a survivor. I think she's gone as far as she could.

Memelah711

Rinkside
I'm happy that Ashley has made the team. I also feel bad for because of all the hate she has been getting through social media and the general public. Constructively criticizing or a person having a favorite skater over another is one thing. But what Ashley has gotten is far beyond that, it's bullying and in some cases, harassment. I've seen people on various social media networks and news articles, even directly on Ashley's own sites, asking how much she paid the selection committee or who she slept with to get on the team to people calling her a disgrace to the sport and the Olympics :eek:

Ashley may not be the most naturally talented skater in the world; but she does make the most of the skills and talents she has been given. She has really worked hard these past 3.5 years or so to get to where she is now (that's not to say other skaters don't work hard too!). Talent alone will only get you so far. One of the things that makes Ashley that more impressive, in my eyes, is the fact that she does have to work hard and doesn't let a lack of something stop her from going for her dream.

I do believe Ashley can win a medal (most likely bronze) at Sochi. Through my 16 years of following skating, I also know that anything can happen at the Olympics, almost nothing is a guarantee. How many favorites went into an Olympics and choked? Likewise, how many non contenders have had the skate of their lives on Olympic ice and even won a medal? Regardless of whether or not Ashley medals, I hope she can have the skates and experiences of her life in Sochi.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I've heard this... I believe it was Danny Kwan that once told Michelle "no matter how good you are, the ice is still slippery."

The list of U.S. ladies since 1950 who won two consecutive national championships:

Tenley Albright, Carol Heiss, Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill, Linda Fratianne, Rosalynn Sumners, Jill Trenary, Michelle Kwan, Ashley Wagner.:)

Barb

Record Breaker
This thread is so ridiculous, are you new in FS? You can not say that someone is done because one stupid competition. I like Gracie but I prefer to wait, she is very inconsistent, her last competition was good but she even fell, she was not "perfect". And why people keep mentioning Gracie is superior because one of her qualities is that she is prettier?, yes she is beautiful but it is subjetive, all skaters are very pretty, Julia, adelina, mao, yuna, ashley, kanako but this is absolutly irrelevant and vulgar :scowl:. It is ok if you appreciate the beauty of someone and say it but it is not correct to say that she will be a great skater because she looks like a hollywood acrtress.

louisa05

Final Flight
The list of U.S. ladies since 1950 who won two consecutive national championships:

Tenley Albright, Carol Heiss, Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill, Linda Fratianne, Rosalynn Sumners, Jill Trenary, Michelle Kwan, Ashley Wagner.:)

That's a short list for 64 years!

coppertop1

On the Ice
Yeah, really. People keep continually putting way too much weight on the very latest competition results. You'd think no one's watched figure skating for very long or something. Come on, people. :sarcasm:.

After 2011 Worlds, Mirai's fans did argue there was too much emphasis on nationals after an injured Rachel Flatt went to Worlds and was 11th. So the USFSA looks at the whole picture to choose, and now it should be only nationals. Double standard. I can understand why people argue Mirai should go based on her third place at nationals, but I can definitely see why the USFSA chose Ashley. She's more consistent and based on her general competition results, she's earned it. That's how they're deciding. I do feel bad for Mirai though. If she is a victim, she's the victim of her own inconsistency. Hopefully, she can find a way to gain her consistency and will stick around.

One bad competition doesn't equal over the hill. Ashley's been landing the 3f-3t combination and looking technically strong all season. I don't envy the position she's in now, and I don't know how well she'll handle it mentally, but if she has has a disappointing Olympics it won't be because she's simply past her expiry date or whatever and can never be the same again. I've been skeptical lately of the assumption that a skater only "peaks" once a season and after that, they inevitably decline. Now skaters only peak once in their entire careers? What about all the skaters that have a couple lackluster years and then come back stronger than ever? Again: come on

She's 21 or 22, that's not even old by skating standards! I don't envy her either, I hope she does well and doesn't let the haters derail her. I can think of several skaters who have had a couple of lackluster years than rebound. Many of whom are World or Olympic Champions after rebounding: Irina Slutskaya (and she rebounded twice, once after a growthspurt and again after a serious illness), Mao Asada, Shizuka Arakawa, Jeff Buttle, to name a few. It's part of a skater's career to go through slumps. Ashley is far from done. Gracie is far from reaching her full potential and being a threat to the top of the podium. I can see Gracie challenging for gold in 2018 (that sounds so corny).

heyang

Record Breaker
That's a short list for 64 years!

But Kwan won like 8 consecutive US Nationals. There was definitely a gap between Kwan and Wagner, which is just another sign of the inconsistencies of the American ladies.

Gigi13

On the Ice
This thread is so ridiculous, are you new in FS? You can not say that someone is done because one stupid competition. I like Gracie but I prefer to wait, she is very inconsistent, her last competition was good but she even fell, she was not "perfect". And why people keep mentioning Gracie is superior because one of her qualities is that she is prettier?, yes she is beautiful but it is subjetive, all skaters are very pretty, Julia, adelina, mao, yuna, ashley, kanako but this is absolutly irrelevant and vulgar :scowl:. It is ok if you appreciate the beauty of someone and say it but it is not correct to say that she will be a great skater because she looks like a hollywood acrtress.

I agree, we shouldn't think Ashley is underachiever at all after one bad performance, she had an amazing season, I still think Gracie isn't a OGM contender at all and she's still inconsistent so Imma wait. The decision to kick off Mirai was not Ashley's or Polina's it was the USFA so I don't hate Ashley for being on the team because I knew she was gonna be on the team before she even skated. So I'm hoping the best for her in Sochi and I hope she goes clean! :)

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
You can feel sorry for her because realistically she stands no chance for a medal in Sochi at the moment, if all clean. She is a weak link.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
You want to argue? Ashley's strong quality was her maturity AND consistency. The last one is doubtful at the moment..

Ven

Match Penalty
lol, I did not argue. I've already said before I think 99% chance she cannot medal, however I wish her good luck.

That doesn't mean...

koatcue

isn't funny :)

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Maybe) I guess I have a bad sense of humour in that case 'cause I don't see anything funny..The location part might sound funny but that's for me..English is my 2nd and I don't use it often, you know:scratch::confused: