Ice Dance Track | Golden Skate

Ice Dance Track

BunniesSkate

Rinkside
Hi,

I recently just took my first ice dance lesson, and I really like it. My main coach, who I have been skating with for a few years, found a dance coach that started me on the "partnered" dance track (is that different from solo?). We learned the Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango, as well as the basic ice dance steps for the first lesson. Does anyone have an estimate for how long each test should take to pass? Each test meaning all three (or four if applicable) dances within. I would like to keep track to make sure I'm making good progress.

Thanks!

gkelly

Record Breaker
Hi,

I recently just took my first ice dance lesson, and I really like it. My main coach, who I have been skating with for a few years, found a dance coach that started me on the "partnered" dance track (is that different from solo?). We learned the Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango, as well as the basic ice dance steps for the first lesson. Does anyone have an estimate for how long each test should take to pass? Each test meaning all three (or four if applicable) dances within. I would like to keep track to make sure I'm making good progress.

Thanks!
Are you in the US?

The partnered dance track is separate from the solo dance track.

Each level gets a little harder, so each level usually takes a bit longer than the previous one to pass.

If you're already at a higher skill level than the lower dance levels, you would be able to get through the first level or couple levels fairly quickly if you just need to learn the specific steps but already have the general skills in terms of power, edge control, etc.

When you get to a dance level equal to or higher than your singles/skating skills level, then your progress through the dances will slow down noticeably.

If you haven't reached the level of passing tests in other disciplines yet, then you'll need to develop your skill level even for the first dance test.

Whether we're talking weeks or months or years per test level depends not only on your previous general skill level, but also on how often you skate, how often you can take dance lessons, your fitness level, your natural talent, etc. It's impossible to give specific predictions.

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
If you take the tests partnered, you can compete in solo pattern dance/free dance. If you take the tests solo, you cannot compete partnered and would have to start over if you are lucky enough to find a partner.

A lot of people breeze through preliminary and prebronze in a couple months if they have some skating background (roughly passed Adult Silver or Pre Juv SS test) and then have a little harder time with the bronze dances. Unless you have really high moves (think Novice/Junior), many people struggle on the European (dance-3s are HARD to do well) on the pre-silver test and the outer Mohawk on the Foxtrot.