When to get new skates? | Golden Skate

When to get new skates?

kinari

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hi everyone, I was wondering if I should get new figure skates or if I should keep the ones I have right now. I started two years ago and got my first pair of skates in February 2022, Jackson Freestyle with Aspire XP Blades. I used to do freestyle, and I got up to preliminary freeskate with all my single jumps (excluding axel) and basic spin positions, but I quit freestyle in August 2023 and I am testing for ice dance now. So far, I am on preliminary solo ice dance and I am testing for prebronze and intermediate MITF in May. I am not sure if my skates are still right for me or when it is time to replace them, but my coach has been making suggestions to sharpen my blades often even after I sharpen them.

If I need to get new skates, which ones do you guys recommend for ice dance/MITF? For reference, I am 5'5, 108 lbs, 15 years old. Thank you :)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hi everyone, I was wondering if I should get new figure skates or if I should keep the ones I have right now. I started two years ago and got my first pair of skates in February 2022, Jackson Freestyle with Aspire XP Blades. I used to do freestyle, and I got up to preliminary freeskate with all my single jumps (excluding axel) and basic spin positions, but I quit freestyle in August 2023 and I am testing for ice dance now. So far, I am on preliminary solo ice dance and I am testing for prebronze and intermediate MITF in May. I am not sure if my skates are still right for me or when it is time to replace them, but my coach has been making suggestions to sharpen my blades often even after I sharpen them.

If I need to get new skates, which ones do you guys recommend for ice dance/MITF? For reference, I am 5'5, 108 lbs, 15 years old. Thank you :)
Hi and welcome! Thanks for all the information you included. In addition, how many hours a week do you average on the ice? And what is your foot shape -- high or low arches, angle of toes, etc -- because different brands of boots are better for different shapes of feet. Going by what you've accomplished so far, your boots probably need replacing by now. As for your blades, how often do you have someone sharpen them? It sounds as if your coach can tell it's not often enough, or that perhaps you need to have them done by a different technician, if he/she can see from your tracings, or maybe you're having some skidding problems. With just a bit more information, the coaches among us like @Ic3Rabbit can try to advise you. (I'm not a coach, just a lifelong skater :biggrin:.) Where do you live, so we can point you to the nearest best skate shop and fitter? :hap10:

kinari

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hi and welcome! Thanks for all the information you included. In addition, how many hours a week do you average on the ice? And what is your foot shape -- high or low arches, angle of toes, etc -- because different brands of boots are better for different shapes of feet. Going by what you've accomplished so far, your boots probably need replacing by now. As for your blades, how often do you have someone sharpen them? It sounds as if your coach can tell it's not often enough, or that perhaps you need to have them done by a different technician, if he/she can see from your tracings, or maybe you're having some skidding problems. With just a bit more information, the coaches among us like @Ic3Rabbit can try to advise you. (I'm not a coach, just a lifelong skater :biggrin:.) Where do you live, so we can point you to the nearest best skate shop and fitter? :hap10:
Thanks for your response! I spend an average of 2hr 30min on ice every week (one 1 hour session on tuesday, one 1:30 session on friday) and i have lessons twice a week. However, I also sometimes go to freestyles sessions here and there, so maybe add an extra hour on that as well ;) I also spend 90 min a week doing barre/ballet (if thats helpful as well) to strengthen my on ice performance

I have normal arched feet, my toes are a little more pointier if that makes sense, like greek toes. I sharpen my blades once a month typically from my local skate shop, but a year ago, I used to sharpen them at Dicks sporting goods until i reached preliminary mitf. I live in middle/northern NJ--I don't mind where I go for a skate shop. Thanks for your advice :)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Thanks for your response! I spend an average of 2hr 30min on ice every week (one 1 hour session on tuesday, one 1:30 session on friday) and i have lessons twice a week. However, I also sometimes go to freestyles sessions here and there, so maybe add an extra hour on that as well ;) I also spend 90 min a week doing barre/ballet (if thats helpful as well) to strengthen my on ice performance

I have normal arched feet, my toes are a little more pointier if that makes sense, like greek toes. I sharpen my blades once a month typically from my local skate shop, but a year ago, I used to sharpen them at Dicks sporting goods until i reached preliminary mitf. I live in middle/northern NJ--I don't mind where I go for a skate shop. Thanks for your advice :)
With Greek toes, you're better off in a different brand like Graf, maybe Riedell, or Risport (which I wear, having a very sharp slope to my toes and I have high arches, feet which don't fit well in Jacksons). You do need new boots by now, but I'll have to let someone who knows your area recommend a skate shop. I'm on the Pacific coast of Canada so I can't advise in that. The skate shop you end up going to can probably recommend someone to sharpen your blades. Does your coach suggest anyone when he/she mentions that you need them sharper? What about asking other skaters at your sessions where they get their blades sharpened? Some general sporting goods shops are better than others -- I use Ice Level Sports myself in my city, a hockey equipment store mainly plus they sell curling equipment and recreational figure skates, but they have a man there who understands figure blades and has a devoted clientele of competitive skaters who go to him. If he ever changes jobs, we'll all move with him wherever he goes :love:!

Not that much help to you, but I'm sure others here will jump in with more specific advice for the New Jersey area. Good luck!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
With Greek toes, you're better off in a different brand like Graf, maybe Riedell, or Risport (which I wear, having a very sharp slope to my toes and I have high arches, feet which don't fit well in Jacksons). You do need new boots by now, but I'll have to let someone who knows your area recommend a skate shop. I'm on the Pacific coast of Canada so I can't advise in that. The skate shop you end up going to can probably recommend someone to sharpen your blades. Does your coach suggest anyone when he/she mentions that you need them sharper? What about asking other skaters at your sessions where they get their blades sharpened? Some general sporting goods shops are better than others -- I use Ice Level Sports myself in my city, a hockey equipment store mainly plus they sell curling equipment and recreational figure skates, but they have a man there who understands figure blades and has a devoted clientele of competitive skaters who go to him. If he ever changes jobs, we'll all move with him wherever he goes :love:!

Not that much help to you, but I'm sure others here will jump in with more specific advice for the New Jersey area. Good luck!
I can suggest a skate shop there for sure. And OP (@kinari ), with your foot you're going to want to look at Risport for high arches. I'll send you a PM to inform you about the skate shop. NEVER get them sharpened at Dicks or any other sporting goods store they have no idea what they are doing with figure skate blades.