Ice Wars = yikes | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ice Wars = yikes

eliza88

On the Ice
I know Nicole is lacking her 3's, but I really enjoyed her program. I thought it was one of the best she has done in years! Whenever I see her skate, I always wonder how far she could have gone with consistent jumps! ITA that she and Oksana should have been the two matched up.

I always enjoy seeing Oksana skate--though these were not my fav programs of hers...nice to see her looking good and LANDING those 3 jumps!

I didn't like either of Yuka's programs. Please give us back the old Yuka-type of numbers! I really likes Kristi's second number! Great footwork!

Oh the men! Todd and Alexei were fantastic (minus Alexei laying on the ice). Kurt's numbers were cute--but I like to see him skate more and "prop" less. Brian still has one of the best spread eagles in the business! I liked both programs. I liked how he worked to prop into his 2nd number without it taking over the program.

The US is very shy on pro-women. I would have liked to see a pro-pairs or dance team...Perhaps they should make it North America vs. the World!

eliza88

glow_girl85

Rinkside
eliza88 said:
I know Nicole is lacking her 3's, but I really enjoyed her program. I thought it was one of the best she has done in years! Whenever I see her skate, I always wonder how far she could have gone with consistent jumps! ITA that she and Oksana should have been the two matched up.

I always enjoy seeing Oksana skate--though these were not my fav programs of hers...nice to see her looking good and LANDING those 3 jumps!

I didn't like either of Yuka's programs. Please give us back the old Yuka-type of numbers! I really likes Kristi's second number! Great footwork!

Oh the men! Todd and Alexei were fantastic (minus Alexei laying on the ice). Kurt's numbers were cute--but I like to see him skate more and "prop" less. Brian still has one of the best spread eagles in the business! I liked both programs. I liked how he worked to prop into his 2nd number without it taking over the program.

The US is very shy on pro-women. I would have liked to see a pro-pairs or dance team...Perhaps they should make it North America vs. the World!

eliza88
i remember seeing a competition that was North America vs. the World, i'm not sure if it was Ice Wars or not. Sale and Pelletier skated for NA and B&S (i'm not going to attempt to spell their names, lol) skated for the World. i think it was last year, i enjoyed it!

Toffee

Rinkside
Perhaps they should make it North America vs. the World
It was North America vs The World competition last year. The World Team won.

By the way, I thought both Alexei's programs this year were fabulous. Definitely the best of the men, and the best he has done since 2002 Olympic season. I really enjoyed Kristi too.

Kasey

Medalist
I think "Moon over Bourbon Street" is incredible, although he changed some of the choreo since EOI3. "The Feeling Begins" doesn't hit me as much, but it's still a wonderful program. I like the way he does the leapover from one spin to the other to the other in both programs (Not sure what the technical term for it is, but it's more interesting than just change of foot!).

Kasey

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
I think I know what move you're talking about. It's that sort of sit spin that he travels on purpose? I don't know what it's called but maybe it doesn't have any name because I never saw any other skater doing it before. I think it's an original move. And ITA, looks very cool.

Kasey

Medalist
RIskatingfan said:
I think I know what move you're talking about. It's that sort of sit spin that he travels on purpose? I don't know what it's called but maybe it doesn't have any name because I never saw any other skater doing it before. I think it's an original move. And ITA, looks very cool.

Nope, it's not the traveling sit spin, although that too is cool! I was thinking, it is within the actual spin, when he jumps to the next spin position instead of just moving into it. No clue what the technical term would be, if any, but just looks more dynamic.

Kasey

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
I thought that was just a regular spin with multiple changes of foot that just travelled? LOL I think I'm going to check that out, I do remember it had a sort of circular pattern and that's not very usual when spins travel...

Antilles

Medalist
Alexei does it well, but he's not the first/only one to do that with his spins. Alexander Abt did it really well in his eligible programs.

Eeyora

Final Flight
After seeing Kurt's program my mother said it best "Now I can see why Michelle Kwan does not want to turn pro" :laugh: I thought he looked ridiculous.

Can't say I got Alexei's "The Feeling Begins" Loved his first program. I thought he deserved higher marks but I guess he would have received them had he not skated first.

I slso notices Verne Lunquest's mistake with the Oksana programs.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
My take on props...

Well, first a couple of other comments. Kristi is just such an elegant skater and performer I always enjoy watching her. Amazing that at her ripe young age (I WISH I was her age!!) and after a baby she's still got 3/2's and 3's in her program. I'm not suggesting that necessary in a pro skater, just saying I think it's cool.

I also love Yuka Sato, but wasn't crazy about her programs and costume. On the red low cut dress (yes, I know there was illusion in there), I asked Doggyman if a low cut top is interesting when it's clear nothing will EVER fall out of it.

Someone mentioned that at least nobody stripped. I think Oksana gave stripping a good attempt! That said, I'm glad to see her back and smiling - the drama queen personna suits her well IMO!

Love Todd and Yags as always.

While amateur competitive skating will always be my favorite, I do find the use of props in professional skating a nice change of pace, sometimes. I did not care for Kurt's use of props. My impression was that he skated some, then went and interacted with his props, then skated some, then went back to his props. I don't much care for that type of prop use.

I found Brian's program more interesting as the coat rack was an integral part of his program - rather than something he interacted with on rest breaks.

One of my all time favorite use of props (keep in mind I don't watch all the pro shows on TV) was Rudy Galindo. I wish I could remember the name of the music, but I'm sure someone here does. Rudy himself was the violin, and he skated the program with a bow in hand, playing "himself" as the violin. Anyone remember that one? For whatever reason, that program REALLY drew me in.

DG

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Doggygirl said:
One of my all time favorite use of props (keep in mind I don't watch all the pro shows on TV) was Rudy Galindo. I wish I could remember the name of the music, but I'm sure someone here does. Rudy himself was the violin, and he skated the program with a bow in hand, playing "himself" as the violin. Anyone remember that one? For whatever reason, that program REALLY drew me in.
DG

Rondo Capriccioso, the same music Johnny Weir is using for his short program this year and what Michelle Kwan used for her long program in 1995. I loved that program for Rudy too.

My own Ice Wars thoughts? Kristi is simply the best!! Everytime she skates, she steals my heart! :love: It was such a treat!

Oh yeah, I also loved seeing Brian, Nicole, Todd and Alexei! ;)

Doggygirl said:
For whatever reason, that program REALLY drew me in.
I also liked Rudi's use of a hoop in Send in the Clowns

OT, of course YMCA remains Rudi's all-time show stopper. He tried to get out of doing it on COI two seasons ago, wanting to skate to something else instead, but Tom Collins wouldn't hear of it, LOL.

About the new, flirty Yuka, what's cute about that is you know she doesn't really mean it. You know, when she gets out there like that and says, this is for you, Mathman...

MM;) :p

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
About the new, flirty Yuka, what's cute about that is you know she doesn't really mean it. You know, when she gets out there like that and says, this is for you, Mathman...

MM;) :p
Now that I realize she did it for you, I LOVE it!!!!

I too really liked Send in the Clowns with the hoop. Unfortunately, I haven't seen YMCA - it must have been great if they keeped making him do it long after he was tired of doing it. Like I said, I don't catch all the pro stuff show stuff. Sorry I missed that one though.

Purplecat, I am the absolute WORST at remembering musical pieces and names over time. No wonder I love Johnny's short music and watched it over and over the 1 time it was aired!!

DG

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Galindo's Send in the Clowns with the hoop is one of my favorite all-time programs. Galindo has always been a guy who is not afraid to be himself, and the crowd clearly loves him.

mpal2

Final Flight
Rudy's Rondo Capriccioso with the violin bow has been my all time favorite program that he's ever done. I think that I would have loved his program to "The Rose" but he didn't skate it very well. That was the year he was diagnosed with HIV and wasn't feeling well at all. :cry: I can't remember which men's choir sang it, but I know it wasn't Bette Midler.

That's interesting, Mpal. To me, the violin program (great music, though) seemed a little too self-consciously artsy. Whereas the Village People medley with Macho man, In the Navy and YMCA just totally rocked!

Doggygirl, you've got to see it. If you can get any COI tape from 2 to 4 years ago it should have this number. It is my all-time favorite non-Michelle program in the whole world.

MM:)

mpal2

Final Flight
It is a little over the top, but I still love it. :)

I just liked how he incorporated the violin bow. I think it's because I was relatively new to watching skating. I got to watch during the Olympics as a kid, but no one in my family watched it on a regular basis or even cared about it. I didn't have a tv in college either. Most of the prop routines I had seen up to that point were pretty bad and Rudy's violin bow was so well incorporated with the actual skating. I just fell in love with it.

Last edited:

alhuncc

Rinkside
This is more Rudy-related than Ice Wars...except that he would probably like to compete in it again!

The a capella men's chorus that sang "The Rose" for Rudy is the Fleet Street Singers (Stanford University), the same group that did the version of "Ave Maria" he used for exhibition and competition in 1996 (Nationals, Worlds, and pro events). "The Rose" was done especially for Rudy, and I don't think it has appeared on any of Fleet Street's CD's. True, Rudy wasn't 100% the year he used the piece for competition. The triple axel never was perfect, but other beautiful moves were there (a variety of spins and spirals, even a Charlotte).

Using Judy Collins version of "Send in the Clowns" was a great choice for music. That, Rondo Capriccioso (violin number) and the Village People Medley are probably my all time favorites, too. Oh, and Fosse...

Although it's way too over the top for most audiences, his "Rocky Horror" program, comprised of "Sweet Transvestite" and "Time Warp" is a gem, as is the costume! It's probably best seen by those who loved the original.

Strong characterization--sometimes caricature--seem to mark most of Rudy's best programs from "Swan Lake" on.

Amanda