Ice Wars | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ice Wars

jennylovskt

Medalist
Oksana's first program was the worst I've ever seen! I couldn't find any trace of that beautiful ballerina, who won the Olympic gold, both in skating and in appearance. She said that, "I'm glad I am single." What did that mean? She wanted everybody to know that she was single, or she said that as a relief, or revenge to the former boyfriend?

Kurt is amazing as always!

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
Mens skating has nothing right now even close to as good as Yagudin or Browning. All I could think of as I watched them was how much I missed them. I enjoyed them both immensely.

Loved seeing Angela Nikodinov again — I was always hoping she could put it together and win a major title. The way she moves across the ice is gorgeous and I think she has the finest layback spin out there today. She has the correct leg turnout without excessive back bend.

I was disappointed in Baiul. She still has the best speed across the ice — really of any of the competitors, male or female, but her programs were crap.

Arakawa was impressive. Everyone was in love with hats.

ladybug

On the Ice
The highlight for me was Brian. The first program (if skated clean) would have been really something. Even with the errors I just couldn't take my eyes off him. His second program is just so Brian and at 43, he is still able to pull off the Tano Lutz. Now that is really something. I love the fact that he was truly skating.

I think Ice Wars should forget about inviting Oksana in the future. She did very little skating and her outfits and the programs were awful. Whatever happened to that beautiful little skater of the 90's?

Kurt was a pleasure as always and I believe Shizuka has really blossomed since she won the Olympic Gold. She seems to have a new found confidence. It was so nice to see Angela again. Her presentation has always been beautiful and she didn't lose any of that lay back spin perfection she has always had. It was a very fun competition and a pleasure seeing some old faces again.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Kurt and Alexi were the shinning stars in this competition for me. Kurt is the most accomplished and polished skater ever. He's my all time favorite. Kurt is so smooth and suave. Alexi is just a wonderful skater. His footwork is the best as well as his musciality. They are both huge talents.

I enjoyed watching Angela skate again. She really looks fit. It's great to see her back on the ice. As for Oksana, I can't imagine why she is booked at skating shows at all. I was a fan of hers up to her Olympic win. Like Sarah Hughes, her last great performance was her olympic program. Oksana is an embarassment to skating and her drama queen personality is just too much. It's hard to take anything she says seriously because it comes out so fake. I actually think she embarassed Angela with her comments.

Shizuka did a great job skating. She is a graceful skater and a good olympic champion but there is something about her skating that I just haven't warmed up to. She does have the best Ina Baur in skating. Maybe someday I'll figure out what it is that doesn't appeal to me.

Brian skater great too. It always fun to watch him. Same thing for Rory. She is an explosive skater and always puts on a good performance.

Dizzy

krenseby

Final Flight
Re: Oksana

I think Ice Wars should forget about inviting Oksana in the future. She did very little skating and her outfits and the programs were awful. Whatever happened to that beautiful little skater of the 90's

Actually, Oksana can still be amazing when she puts effort into her skating. There's a great clip of her from the 2005 Stars on Ice performing a well-choreographed, elegant, and lady-like program with quite a few successfully executed triples on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTg3BAbxoHY

Beats me why she couldn't do something like that for Ice Wars. Why did she choose two horrible badly choreographed non-programs for this event is really a mystery. She can certainly do better.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I have to believe Oksi's routine was for her and how she feels about herself in some way. Wanting to feel attractive and desired. She is still a good looking lady but it is a little overboard with the tan - to put it mildly. I have no real complains about her outfit, but the routine was all strut and not enough substance. Kinda like a Ice Capades in a Vegas adult club. Way to much importance on just the jumps being possibly the only things you could score. Well, other then getting the impression she was the "score." Just not a great routine. I felt like I was watching a female David Lee Roth.

Shi-chan, Angela , Kurt, Alexi had great performances. Looking forward to more Mike too.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
for some reason I thought it would be tonight and not last night since it was on Saturday last year. grr.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Krenseby,

I did watch the Oksana program you posted. Yes, she was good in that performance. Maybe her attempt to be different just doesn't work. I get the feeling that Oksana is a very self-centered person who constantly feels a need to be the center of attention. It's always about her. She actually attempted to steal the attention from Angela to herself in the interviews. Really....is there anyone in the world that hasn't heard Oksana's life story at least ten times.

Oksana was a champion skater and has an Olympic gold medal to prove it. She may have had a sad childhood but she has achieved what some , may deserve, but never achieve. Seems to me, she should drop the drama and celebrate her success. You do need to get on with life---no matter what.

Guess I'm just tired of waiting for her to grow up.

Dizzy

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The thing that surprised me about Oksana was they said she was 29 or was that a joke? She looks so so much older.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
Oksana DOES look older than she really is. It's kind of sad actually.

76olympics

On the Ice
I really enjoyed the program! I wish there were more pro comps as in days of yore. Kurt is the best! I really liked his " Easy" program and I liked Brian B's last program though I am not much of a Sinatra fan. It is amazing that he can still pull off that Tano Lutz and the jump combination he did was also very nice. Kurt was cute gushing about Brian at the end; he always sounds sincere to me.

It was wonderful to see Angela. She really skated with such grace and flow. I must admit I like that Faith Hill song anyway, and her program to it was very expressive. She was very restrained and classy , I thought, in her interview.

On the other hand, Oksana..... Once again, Oksana seems to be there in order to say very odd things in the K & C. I always hope that she makes more sense in Russian. Like everyone else here, I find her so frustrating because all of that promise remains undeveloped in her. Double sigh! I am sure the audience was scratching its collective head when she told them she was single. Maybe, she was hoping for offers at the reception!:rofl:

Shizuka was sublime and I liked Alexei's footwork in the second program very much. Mike's disco program was fun and I always like to see Rory. I hope that Ice Wars will continue.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I would go Oksi's way:agree: If she is searching:cool: . She seems eccentric but having a similar Troubled background I think I could see where she is coming from, I think she is probably a sweet girl with no reason to grow up now. Why does anyone want to grow up??? Anyway lighten the heavy tan and.... I think she is attractive in her own way and would be a cool friend at the very least.

btw, don't tell Fumie....or Ira.....or .....:laugh:

Last edited:
Now guys and gals - Can anyone, without looking it up, tell me which team won the event in 1999, and which skaters were part off the winning team and the losing team?
:scratch:

Joe

I'll guess Brian Boitano and Kurt Browning were there. :)

But then again, I can't tell you who won Europeans in 1999, or Worlds in pairs and dance (it was Butyrskaya and Yagudin in ladies and mens, right?), or the Grand Prix final. (I don't remember who won the World Series or the Super Bowl or Wimbledon or the Master's golf event in 1999 either.)

But I remember well the 2000 Hershey's Kisses competition, where team USA with Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, Sasha Cohen and Sarah Hughes eked out a victiory over the World team of Maria Butyrskaya, Irina Slutskaya, Yuka Sato and Surya Bonaly. :rock:

Last edited:
OK, I had to look it up. :laugh: But now that I have refreshed my memory, Ice Wars 1999 was a great show. That was the year that Brian Boitano came up with that stinkeroo of a program to Wild Elephants, Kurt countered with his classic Brick House, Yagudin did Gladiator and Yuka Sato gave a totally charming performance of Hatful of Stars.

But Tara Lipinski scored the highest with Genie in a Bottle, and team USA was victorious!

If anyone is interested in the whole series, here is a summary from the Golden Skate archives of the whole Ice Wars series going back to 1994 (Yamaguchi, Kerrigan, Boitano and Wyley versus Witt, Baiul, Browning and Petrenko :rock: )

http://www.goldenskate.com/competitions/proam/icewars.shtml

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We taped Ice Wars on Friday night because we attended Fashion on Ice then. Therefore we watched Ice Wars last night. We loved it over all, especially for the performances of Kurt, Brian, Shizuka, and Angela. My only disappointment was Oksana. Her costumes and diva persona have gotten to me, not to mention that "tan." :frown:

krenseby

Final Flight
Re:

We taped Ice Wars on Friday night because we attended Fashion on Ice then. Therefore we watched Ice Wars last night. We loved it over all, especially for the performances of Kurt, Brian, Shizuka, and Angela. My only disappointment was Oksana. Her costumes and diva persona have gotten to me, not to mention that "tan." :frown:

Mark my word: Oksana's gonna strut out naked on the ice one of these days, all the while glibly mentioning that "I am single again.!" Her descent into weirdness will continue!