icenetwork... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

icenetwork...

waxel

Final Flight
I totally understand your frustrations. I want coverage of figure skating to be as comprehensive as the NFL. I sometimes chastise my friends to understand that figure skating is as important to me as football (baseball, basketball, etc.) is to them. But I'm just afraid that eventually- we'll have nothing.

And yes, other competitions offer some grainy images (often through youtube), but it is foolish to compare what icenetwork offers to this spotty coverage. Why don't you complain to CNN sports? They'll really take notice.

Seriously- not being catty- but if your geographic area allows it, you may want to check out a dsl or broadband connection? Some services are afforable and offer better internet access than dial-up. I know about this because for years my office building ... in a major business area of a cosmopolitan city ... could not get high speed internet. Such a frustration.

Anyhow- I have no idea about the video footage afforded by China, Canada or Korea (as you pointed out). But I do know that here in the US- we're about to have nada. Is icenetwork the answer? Dunno. But until US Nats and Olys skating events get the kind of coverage afforded other sports- I'll support little fledgling icenetwork and not demand total broad sweeping coverage just yet. Okay, this year we got coverage of all the disciplines... maybe next year they'll have a more comprehensive schedule and results page that will appeal to you? I think USFA is trying to think ahead--- but if icenetwork fails--- we may not have any accessibility to these competitions. Isn't that more disturbing than having to wait a few minutes for results to be posted online? And again, if you were watching the live webcast- you'd have the real time results.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for the link, LoneWolf.

Yes, Waxel, Icenetwork is far better than nothing. They are offering some great stuff. I just wish they offered the basic info quickly, in the format we're used to, like this:

http://www.isufs.org/results/ec2008/

Notice how that very quickly lets you find your discipline; or, if you are following day by day, there's the time schedule right below. Easy to click through the list and see the results as they happen.

But even this is quite readable:

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/events/cdns08/results/index.cfm

Anyway, enough said. Icenetwork is not the worst thing I've seen, and they're being very ambitious in what they provide. I simply wish they'd organize their info better, and offer live results.

BTW, I don't have DSL or broadband available to me. I live in a rural county. We have looked into wireless via satellite dish, which would improve our download speed, but would not significantly improve our upload speed. The latter is what we really need so my DH could telecommute (he programs), so it hasn't seemed worth the mucho extra $$$. Maybe someday I could leave the stone age; but, on the other hand, the day my county or any of the surrounding counties gets broadband is the day I know my farmland has turned into the burbs, something I definitely don't want! :frown2:

Back to Nationals ...!!

ToePick

Rinkside
Just my two cents on the debate: Yes, icenetwork is better than nothing, and I'm really glad to be able to see all the programs from all levels of competition. I also understand the frustrations of non-high speed internet people (after years of having dial-up at home!!), but also accept that more and more, the entertainment world, especially niches like figuring skating, are moving to an online systems. There are pros and cons to everything.

What is frustrating to me, though, is that US Figuring Skating used to have really comprehensive coverage of their premiere event on their website, incluing live results (albeit in a different format), blogs, news articles, etc. Now that they have handed all of that over to icenetwork, all of that great coverage has disappeared. :(

I agree that the icenetwork site needs some serious tweaking, but as far as coverage goes, it's better than nothing or next to nothing.

4dogknight

Final Flight
After reading all the posts in this and the other thread regarding discipline scores, I have to say that this responsibility belongs in the USFS court not icenetwork.

The information on the USFS site is not presented in the best formats, usually with outdated information and untimely interviews.

The decision to not contract with icecalc was perhaps not the wisest considering the USFS had nothing in place to report the scores.
(Unless of course, USFS had a deal in place with icenetwork for score postings. But we'll never know will we?)

daisies

Rinkside
Junior Pairs short is supposed to be on now, and I am just getting a black screen with that new-age music in the background. Anyone else?

ETA: Never mind, I rebooted and it was fine. Weird that it would go out like that, though, when it had been fine earlier and I never closed the player.

Last edited: