Iconic programs that you find ... overrated | Golden Skate

Iconic programs that you find ... overrated

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I know it's controversial but I wanted to open this thread..

And vice versa, those that don't get much love but you really admire them. Please name some, don't be afraid.

ALERT! That discussion is not supposed to about having digs at any skaters. :slink: If it turns out to go into this direction, please close it mods :drama:

Some ''overrated'' for me programs / skates ... please don't eat me for it Sam Skwantch and others :biggrin: Those that I remember everyone gushing over them but I could not marvel at them.

Yulia Lipnitskaya - Schindler's List at Olympics. I much prefer her later programs / skating, she was sorta too frenetic in that time. I was not moved to tears by that unlike many other people (go kill me :laugh: ) but good job from Yulia as that was her moment. She won Gold medal in Team Event, European Championships and popularised skating with it so. I much prefer older Yulia to be honest.

Jason Brown - Riverdance Nationals - Maybe because I watched only few years after it happened and I was deprived of context. Even process of watching my favourite skaters is not that electrifying when I watch replay - usually after knowing the outcome. The whole rim & setting was surely lacking for me. I like more Rika Hongo Riverdance :) Jason is not among my faves though but I appreciate his skating otherwise, he skated clean there but I am free to not quite get all that buzz about it.

Virtue / Moir - Mahler Free Skate in Torino 2010. They were the best - fair & square and I did not feel anger after them beating my faves (Davis / White) but for me music was too languid and I did not like choreography / expression all that much, those affectionate gestures like Scott kissing Tessa hand were not my cup of tea. Maybe also one of the reasons behind me being underwhelmed was similar to one with Brown Riverdance - I did not watch it in real time - in the midst of competitive tension. I did not have emotional attachment to that program or to that team either in that time. Vancouver to Poland - time difference was killing too :slink:

Yuna Kim - Les Miserables program (I dislike the music).

Torvill / Dean Bolero :slink:

underrated
Michelle Kwan - Taj Mahal program at Worlds - perhaps or The Red Violin that are more rarely selected by fans as their favourite from FS fans.

Last edited:

QuadThrow

Medalist
Volsozhar/Trankov:Black Swan.
Nice and clean elements but not as soft and inovative as it should be

Davis/White: Sheherazade
Technical perfect but boring compared to some of their other programs.

Yu Na Kim: Gershwin
She is the Queen and I watch many of her programs again and again but not Gershwin.

Barb

Record Breaker
D/W Scheherazade
T/D Bolero :shock2:
I/K Swan Lake
Yuna Les Miserables

Last edited:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Yuna's Les Miz.

Yuna was in top form and she did everything to perfection (well, I look away when she does that spiral ;)). But that music—especially the music cuts—hurts my ears, and the drab costume hurts my eyes...

andromache

Record Breaker
Yuna's Gershwin. I just like every other LP she's ever done so much better.

Yulia's Schindler's List. Cosmetically brilliant, but for me it lacks depth compared to other Schindler's List programs.

Maybe instead of saying that these are overrated, it's better to say that I just don't get them like others do.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Overrated:

Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze Thais - Lifts were cool, but I dont find it as "lyrical" as others do. I dont feel "peaceful" after watching it. It just doesn't work well for me.

Plushenko Tango Amore: Neither am I a fan of Evan's Scheherazade, which is probably the most boring Schhrz in history, but Plushenko's Tango was not that exciting too. (I am not a fan of twist-tango-ing).

Underrated:

Mao's Liebestraum and Scheherazade

Kristi Yamaguchi Malaguena (1992 Nationals)

janav

On the Ice
This season only: it seems like everyone and their mom loves S/M Lighthouse FS and I've seen posters who already call iconic but for some reason, it doesn't do much for me.

I guess context has a lot to do with what I perceive as 'iconic' programs: is Caroline Zhang's SP/FS at 2017 Nats choreographically/skate-wise unique to be generally viewed as iconic? I'd say no but I was drawn towards it and loved it more than lot of other programs because I knew about her struggles and the journey that took her there.
On the other hand, program like Sui/Han's Spanish Romance SP felt 'iconic' to me no matter when and where it was skated. The choreography and interpretation was spectacular without the need for backstory, if that makes sense.

lappo

Final Flight
Interesting thread! :agree:
I adore Yuna and I love rewatching her programs but, as many said before, I'm not much into Gershwin! She skated it really well but I never found it her most interesting LP.
On the other hand, I adore Homage to Korea (even with popped jump and everything)...had she skated it cleanly that would have been not only her absolute best LP but also a gift for the skating world (IMO, of course).

sarama

Medalist
I am a massive Yuna fan and I have to agree with many that her Gershwin FS is probably overrated:slink:...It was iconic because wonderfully executed at the Olympics, but it was nothing special choreografically.

In recent times definitely Davis/White 2014 programs were overrated: the short was a nightmare and the free was a pale imitation of their Samson and Delilah.

breadstal

Record Breaker
For me Yuna's Gershwin is basically epitome of ladies' figure skating :love: I agree about Les Mis which wouldn't be called mastepiece if it wasn't Yuna performing it. I can't really think about any overrated programs because I think it's all about how good skaters perform them and because Yuna was such an amazing skater, her performances were just really memorable. The most underrated ones are Yuna's Homage to Korea and Mao's Fantaisie-Impromptu and Madama Butterfly.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I truly can't think of any programs that are generally considered iconic that I would call overrated. I think there are many more programs that are underrated: Michelle's Spartacus at US Nationals in 2005, Mao's Scheherazade, Ashley's Black Swan, Davis/White's Notre Dame de Paris, Michelle's Lamento D'Ariane, to name a few.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Alexei Yagudin's Man In The Iron Mask - feels dated and cheesy to me, and I wonder if he got bashed for "miming" the way Evgenia does. I doubt it.

Carolina's Bolero - well, I dislike the music in general and I've never connected to her skating at all, though I admire her as a person.

But really, there are plenty of "iconic" skaters whose programs don't move me, so I'll just stop here.

bwayrose7

On the Ice
I'll probably think of others later, but because D/W's Scheherazade keeps coming up: I liked it okay, but I always felt like Notre Dame de Paris was a stronger program and wished that had been their Olympic-winning FD.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Jason Brown - Riverdance Nationals - Maybe because I watched only few years after it happened and I was deprived of context. Even process watching my favourite skaters is not that electrifying when I watch replay - after knowing outcome. The whole rim & setting was surely lacking for me. I like more Rika Hongo Riverdance Jason is not among my faves though but I appreciate his skating otherwise.

I agree with this although I will say I am not a huge fan of Rika's this year either. Ever since Bourne and Kraatz did Riverdance in the 1998 season I have dis liked every other one which is funny because I chose riverdance to compete too as well LOL.. it was brilliant btw.. jk :p bahaha :unsure:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Plushenko Tango Amore: Neither am I a fan of Evan's Scheherazade, which is probably the most boring Schhrz in history, but Plushenko's Tango was not that exciting too. (I am not a fan of twist-tango-ing).

I agree. I don't like the Tango Amore too much as a competitive program. :no: When he skated it on shows that was great!!!! I liked it then!

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I truly can't think of any programs that are generally considered iconic that I would call overrated. I think there are many more programs that are underrated: Michelle's Spartacus at US Nationals in 2005, Mao's Scheherazade, Ashley's Black Swan, Davis/White's Notre Dame de Paris, Michelle's Lamento D'Ariane, to name a few.

Agree!!! In fact I think most programs mentioned thus far are actually generally over criticized.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I agree with Davis and White's Norte Dame in Paris being underrated. That is probably my fave FD for them.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I don't find many of the programs listed here to be "iconic" so I guess I agree with some people's negative feelings about these programs. :laugh:

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
Yulia Lipnitskaya - Schindler's List at Olympics. I much prefer her later programs / skating, she was sorta too frenetic in that time. I was not moved to tears by that unlike many other people (go kill me :laugh: ) but good job from Yulia as that was her moment. She won Gold medal in Team Event, European Championships and popularised skating with it so. I much prefer older Yulia to be honest.

Jason Brown - Riverdance Nationals - Maybe because I watched only few years after it happened and I was deprived of context. Even process watching my favourite skaters is not that electrifying when I watch replay - after knowing outcome. The whole rim & setting was surely lacking for me. I like more Rika Hongo Riverdance :) Jason is not among my faves though but I appreciate his skating otherwise.

Torvill / Dean Bolero :slink:

Yulia Lipnitskaya's never done anything for me, ever, so....

I really, really hated Brown's Riverdance. I thought it was total cheese in a stupid way.

Torvill and Dean had a lot better programs than Bolero. Watching their SD at the 1994 Olympics is still like watching a masterclass.

Davis/White: Scheherazade
I found all of their FDs dull except Die Fledermaus.

Here's a really controversial opinion — I don't think V/T have ever had a good program. Extremely talented pair who always, always disappointed me with their material.