If you could have a conversation with a coach, who would it be? | Golden Skate

If you could have a conversation with a coach, who would it be?

mrrice

Record Breaker
If I had the chance to speak with one of the many coaches I've seen over years, it would be Kori Ade. As a dance coach myself, I have often wanted to know what coaches say to their skaters. Not just when they're at the boards but, during their long practice sessions. Two of my favorite skaters are Jason Brown and Mariah Bell because they really exude joy when they skate. Smiles can be faked but joy comes from within and her students seem to have it almost every minute of every performance.

Last edited:
Lori Nichol (choreographer). I would ask how she goes about choosing music for each client, whether she likes to tailor the music to the skater's pre-existing technical capabilities, on-ice personality and performance skills, or whether she starts with the musical conception then challenges the skater to perform up to it. When she creates several programs for the same skater, does she have an overall plan or does each piece stand alone.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Alexei Mishin, because

1. he's a legend
2. he's a genius
3. he's been around forever and has seen it all
4. he's absolutely hilarious

Ideally I would like to visit him (and Mrs. Mishina) at his dacha, sample his wine and learn his secrets. ;)

slider11

Medalist
Marina Zoueva because I think she is brutally honest and would say how fabulous Tessa and Scott were in 2010 but how, perhaps due to Tessa's leg condition, Meryl and Charlie surpassed them in determination and sheer effort to excel in 2014. No conspiracy, no favoritism...just the way it was.

lilshorty

On the Ice
Frank Carroll. I wanna know what is his recipe for producing so many successful skaters over the years. Is he the same with all of them, or does he tailor his instruction to fit each skater.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think I'd go with Kori Ade and Rohene Ward. They have such well-prepared skaters and it seems like they "coach" the whole person....not just the figure skater.

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
John Nicks because he coached my coach and coached my 2 all-time favorite figure skaters (and the 2 skaters that are the reason I am still a figure skater), Sasha Cohen and Ashley Wagner.

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Alexei Mishin, because

1. he's a legend
2. he's a genius
3. he's been around forever and has seen it all
4. he's absolutely hilarious

Ideally I would like to visit him (and Mrs. Mishina) at his dacha, sample his wine and learn his secrets. ;)

I would probably choose him too, I have so many questions about jumps that I would love to ask him, I find biomechanics so interesting and I really want to pick apart his brain to learn about this stuff. If I actually met him I would probably just word vomit right there and overwhelm him with all my questions

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Add me to the crew picking the Professor's brain. Give us your knowledge, oh mighty Mishin!

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
I would ask Jason Dungjen and Yuka Sato why they did not advise Alissa Czisny and Jeremy Abbott (the best two singles skaters in recent years from the US, in my view) to either quit while they were ahead or respect their physical limits before they passed them (Abbott)/injured themselves (Czisny).

(Maybe they did. What do I know about it? I guess I would be still be curious about what a coach says to a skater who has no likely prospects of greater success in the future, but wants to go on, believing that they do.)

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
John Nicks because he coached my coach and coached my 2 all-time favorite figure skaters (and the 2 skaters that are the reason I am still a figure skater), Sasha Cohen and Ashley Wagner.

I would love to talk to him as well for the same reasons you wrote. He coached Sasha who is my all time favorite and Ashley who is my current favorite. I would also love to talk with Eteri Tutberidze.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
So many different choices! And I'm going to add another one: I'd choose Eteri Tutberidze, because she's so incredibly fascinating and intriguing, I would really love to talk to her about technique and mental toughness. Then my second choice would be of course Tarasova :biggrin:

randomfan

Record Breaker
Lori Nichol counts, right? I'd ask her about how she choreographed Mao and Carolina's 2013-2014 programs.

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
I'd like to have a chat with Kori Ade. Her skaters always seem to have fun when they skate and they seem like they do some unique training exercises. Also, I'd like to hear about coaching a skater from a young age to a national title and worlds/olympics.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Ingo Steuer, great how he managed 10 years with S/S
Eric Wilson, legendary Yuna Kim Programms
Brian Orser, today´s best coach
Nina Mozer, great how she managed all Russian pairs
Nikolai Morozov, best choreographer i know