If you were entitled to write an official letter to ISU Congress, what would you ask them to do? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

If you were entitled to write an official letter to ISU Congress, what would you ask them to do?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
"They are right all along". And in what exactly they should be wrong? That no other country faced such measures precisely in sport for the very same actions? Yes, they are completely right in that, the standards are obviously different based on the country, that's the reality we live in.

Being set negatively towards someone's methods, (which is a perfectly subjective matter, because no real guilt by the standards of law - I mean the real law, not the rules set ad hoc, based on those different standards mentioned above - is on the table), should not be aimed at those who are not accountable for existing or alleged offence. Back to the beginning, "you need a reason why to sanction a particular athlete based on his own personal violation of the rules/code." This is the only way how the law works and always has to work. You can't sanction an athlete just because you hate his/her coach to the grave.
I can, if the legal defence put forward is that a junior athlete cannot be held responsible. Responsibility then should shift to the legal adult in whose care and custody the junior athlete is. A violation cannot be left without a mechanism to assign responsibility and persecute. The fact that this regulation does not exist is a blatant oversight. I hope it will be corrected asap and the coaches will be held accountable for abusive actions toward minors in their care.

There are some differences between the present Russian situation and the precedents. Plus, the mammoth in the room of what Russian government is wrong about. New regulations get created all the time in response to emerging issues and public interest/concern. It is at the ISU discretion to interpret MOC recommendation legally (which is what they are doing). Welcome to the exciting word of regulations.

As a fan, I am entitled to be aghast over whatever pleases me to be aghast over. One privilege of my age is that I can be Karen if it pleases me and worry about the children in my own way. And I am truly appalled by how Russian officials treat a person who's tested positive for a banned substance in the Russian Nationals.

And, hey, it’s my imaginary Letter to the Congress. Go write your own.

Last edited:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I can, if the legal defence put forward is that a junior athlete cannot be held responsible. Responsibility then shifts to the legal adult in whose care and custody the junior athlete is. The fact that this regulation does not exist is a blatant oversight. I hope it will be corrected asap and the coaches will be held accountable for abusive actions toward minors in their care.

There are some differences between Russian situation and the precedents. Also, new regulations get created all the time in response to emerging issues. It is at the ISU discretion to interpret MOC recommendation legally (which is what they are doing). Welcome to the exciting word of regulations.

And, hey, it’s my imaginary Letter to the Congress. Go write your own.
First, statement that "a junior athlete cannot be held responsible" is either ignorance of facts or deliberately false statement. That's not true. I personally presume the first possibility, as I am more and more convinced that the stronger conclusions and statements someone does, the less he truly knows the real case, the regulations and the decision.

Second, you have to even set what responsibility should be there, and that can be set only based on the legal decision of a subject who is legally authorized for such decision.

Third, there is no difference just like it is not at all a matter of "creating of new regulations". There is a clear reason why no rule simply stating "if one country invades/attacks another country, it's athletes shall not be allowed to attend international competitions" exists, because in such case athletes from very particular countries would be necessarily off competitions all the time.

OK, it is surely your right to send any message you want and I don't take it from you, but as long as free debate exist I am allowed to say what I consider wrong about that (also, we simply have no thumbs down, so while we can express our agreement by simply clicking on it, we have to explain deeper why we disagree).

I already formulated my message above by editing the previous post. But yes, this concludes the topic.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
First, statement that "a junior athlete cannot be held responsible" is either ignorance of facts or deliberately false statement. That's not true. I personally presume the first possibility, as I am more and more convinced that the stronger conclusions and statements someone does, the less he truly knows the real case, the regulations and the decision.
As the protected person, an athlete was not removed from the OG because they couldn’t be held responsible for violation of the doping rules being under a certain age. That’s what was in the decision I read. Hence, I find the amendment placing responsibility in such cases on the coach necessary. Until persons of protected age can compete, there has to be responsibility for keeping rules resting on someone if the athlete themselves can’t. It can’t be no one. The case of 2022 Olympics should not repeat again. It was a travesty. That Russians didn’t remove her and blatantly ignored cheating at Russian Nationals is imo shameful and an offence to the rest of Russian skaters who train and compete clean.

Regulation could be created and all aggressor countries could be removed. I don’t see how theoretically it is not true. For discriminatory reasons, a war in Europe counts for more than a war outside Europe. Hopefully, this is what should be rectified, the value of human lives, independently of geography, rather than the opposite. If Olympic Games are to continue, they might as well stand for something.

The bottom line is, that the scandal and war unaffiliated Russian Juniors can’t compete is just the most unfair thing from all unfair things. And I want it rectified asap.

Last edited: