I'm in Love with Yulia Obertas!!! | Golden Skate

I'm in Love with Yulia Obertas!!!

lulu

Final Flight
I saw her and Segei's performance from Euros, and they just completely drew me in. Yulia has an absolute "star" quality, she just seems to command you're attention on the ice. She has such a dynamic personality on the ice, that it is probably easier to gloss over their faults.
And Yulia's partner, err I mean Sergei;) is great too. But so far in this partnership, it is Yulia that stands out.
Their Short Programs was great and their triple twist was incredibly high. They had some sloppy landings in their LP, but if IIRC they tried 3 SBS triple jumps!:eek:
They had trouble in both of the programs with sbs spins(traveling). But Yulia has excellent basic stroking skills and to die for posture, and Sergei seems to be a great match for her. I'm excited to see an up and comming pair team. I also like Moskvina's other pair team B/C-can't spell their names. Praying to the Skategods that nothing happens to cause a roadblock in their career. :D
Obertas and Slavnov for Olympic Gold!:p ;)

Antilles

Medalist
I've admired Obertas since last year. She's had partner issues, but I definitely agree she has star quality.

They attempted three side by side triples? I thought pairs could only do two by ISU rules.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Moskvina has said that bothe Obertas & Slavnov and Borzenkova & Chuvilyaev had kind of a testing-the-waters with her this season. O&S came to her with both programs already done by the Velikovs. B&C have reportedly had a lot of personal problems over this season, mainly because Vika did not believe that she could succeed with Andrei, partly because of his incredible size (he is is almost 7'). I certainly have very high hopes for both those pairs. I think the pair skating needs to have strong Russian and North American schools; much as I like the Chinese pairs, I don't want them to be the only game in town.

Evdokia

On the Ice
Antilles said:
They attempted three side by side triples? I thought pairs could only do two by ISU rules.

They did one of them as a jump combination: triple toe-triple toe and another triple toe as a single jump.

They are also the only ones to attempt a triple flip as a throw jump:eek: and tried this element in the SP (!) and in the LP (though in the LP she couldn't land that one).

Matt

On the Ice
O&S also have some incredible pair lifts and highlights re: the jaw dropping final carry lift in their LP and Yulia's assisted split on the ice in the spiral sequence in the long program (reminiscent of Kovarikova & Novotny)

ITA: the star quality for both of them is there, they just need the consistency in the pair elements. The only question is, how long will they last as a pair, as this is Obertas' third partner in about four years.

Koroleva

On the Ice
Matt said:
O&S also have some incredible pair lifts and highlights re: the jaw dropping final carry lift in their LP and Yulia's assisted split on the ice in the spiral sequence in the long program (reminiscent of Kovarikova & Novotny)

ITA: the star quality for both of them is there, they just need the consistency in the pair elements. The only question is, how long will they last as a pair, as this is Obertas' third partner in about four years.

Well Yulia and Sergei are more than just a couple on ice... so I think this one will last quite a while. ;)

Tove

On the Ice
and Yulia is in love with Sergei:love:

they were awsome at europeans, they skated with so much joy, especially in the short....I look forward to next year, when they will hopefully have even more flow in their programs.
their twist are enormous!

Antilles

Medalist
Isn't she the one with interesting arm positions during throws? Instead of pulling both arms up and into her chest, she keeps one arm wrapped around front, and one around her back? That has to make rotation more difficult.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Sure it does, but it's not CoP, so why would the judges penalize a pair that did such great jumps if they don't have to :\

thvudragon

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
Sure it does, but it's not CoP, so why would the judges penalize a pair that did such great jumps if they don't have to :\
??? What are you talking about? :rolleye:

Evdokia said:
They are also the only ones to attempt a triple flip as a throw jump:eek: and tried this element in the SP (!) and in the LP (though in the LP she couldn't land that one).
No, Orscher and Lucash also do a throw triple flip (and they have landed it in competition). Don and Hunt have also attempted it.
I really hope O&S fix the technique on the throw triple flip. She prerotates, has a poor position in the air. Her legs aren't wrapped well, and her left shoulder is almost past her left hip. Makes for an unstable jump!

TV

ouridol

On the Ice
I havent seen her skate yet, but I really hope I can at Worlds! :) She sounds like an amazing skater, along with Sergei, from what you guys have said;)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
thvudragon said:
??? What are you talking about? :rolleye:
Zayak has been very loosely interpreted by the judges. I understand this -- it's human nature. If they like a skater, and the skater does not make any glaring errors, the judges are often reluctant to apply the necessary deductions.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
No, Orscher and Lucash also do a throw triple flip (and they have landed it in competition). Don and Hunt have also attempted it.

Canadaians and Americans are not allowed to compete at Euros.

thvudragon

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
Zayak has been very loosely interpreted by the judges. I understand this -- it's human nature. If they like a skater, and the skater does not make any glaring errors, the judges are often reluctant to apply the necessary deductions.
IIRC, there is no Zayak rule in Pairs skating. The only limit on jumps is two solo, and 1 combo, and in CoP, 1 sbs solo, and one sbs combo.

berthes ghost said:
Canadaians and Americans are not allowed to compete at Euros.
Ahhh... I thought Evdokia was referring to ever, not just Euros, my mistake.

TV

Matt

On the Ice
thvudragon said:
IIRC, there is no Zayak rule in Pairs skating. The only limit on jumps is two solo, and 1 combo, and in CoP, 1 sbs solo, and one sbs combo.

TV

Is this true?:confused: I could swear I've seen teams on the GP do two separate sets of sbs triples (not in combination). Maybe I just have been paying close enough attention.

Koroleva

On the Ice
Matt said:
Is this true?:confused: I could swear I've seen teams on the GP do two separate sets of sbs triples (not in combination). Maybe I just have been paying close enough attention.

It is true there is no zayak rule in pairs skating.

thvudragon

On the Ice
Matt said:
lol, there were some pairs who did two sets of sbs solo triples, but the 2nd one was not given credit. For those who just did 2 sets of sbs triples (w/o a combo), the 2nd one usually was counted as a phantom "combo", so credit was given.

TV