Ingo Steuer speaks | Golden Skate

Ingo Steuer speaks

Anke G

Rinkside
http://de.sports.yahoo.com/20032006/30/steuer-raeumt-stasi-vergangenheit-fehler.html

Ingo Steuer is in Calgary with Savchenko/Szolkowy (there was never a question about his going), but according to one article, his ordeal has taken its toll and it really shows in his face.

He finally talked with the German equivalent of the Associated Press (dpa). I'll summarize the article that appeared on German Yahoo today. I'm sure there will be others.

Summary: Two months after being exposed as "informal colleague Torsten," Ingo Steuer has admitted mistakes in his life for the first time, and calls his work with the East German secret police (Stasi) a personal disgrace.

"I'm so ashamed that I worked with state security. I didn't understand what it was all about back then."

"I've thought long and hard about whether or not I did something terrible. I couldn't live with that."

The release of his Stasi files, fighting to go to the Olympics, and the press circus have cost him all his energy. "I feel like a dangerous criminal; I'm mentioned in the same breath as murderers." He feels like he's in a bad movie, and all motivation has left him. "I don't plan anything anymore. If I'm no longer needed, then so be it."

He doesn't understand why he was accused just before Turin and not much earlier. "Why am I being crucified now; they could have done it in 1994. But I was successful then, with Mandy."

He says that, in retrospect, the events he was involved in in the former East Germany can be explained by the naivety of an 18-year-old. "That's how we were raised, it was totally normal and didn't seem like something evil to me. When I think about it today, I'd like to erase that whole period."

He says he's been sucked into a vortex. "It can't be made good again by apologizing." He says that after the Berlin Wall fell, he did meet with victims from the skating scene. "I face up to problems if I've messed up." He admits that he lied to the army when he enlisted [as a sports soldier]. "We slid from one political system into another, were under such pressure. I was naive and gullible, but I wanted a new start. And you didn't get that chance if you had been involved with the state apparatus."

Now, at the end of March, he will leave the army sports group and begin studying English and American. [Note: German students need to specify American or English, and must keep pronunciation, rules, and vocabulary separate.] The requirements under the new judging system in figure skating have become so exacting that he wants to perfect his English to keep pace. "If I do something, then it has to be perfect."

How things will go after the World Championships, without the financial support of the army, he doesn't know. "I'm so burned out, my athletes are already asking me why I'm so bitter." At the same time, he admits that having it all out in the open has a positive side. "Now I can freely talk about everything."

He's hoping that the German skating federation and the association for the advancement of competitive sports will continue to work with him. The federation will talk with him at the end of the season. And the Olympic committee's appeal [to determine who has final say in naming the Olympic team] will be heard in superior court in Berlin.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Thank you!

Thanks Anke for the great summary of the article - its always good to keep up on news that, without understanding german, would be impossible keep up with.

Ant

A little bit OT, but that was interesting about Germans studying either "English or American." Now that I think of it, I have met Germans who spoke English with a "British accent" and others who spoke with an "American accent."

MM :)

Spirit

On the Ice
Mathman said:
A little bit OT, but that was interesting about Germans studying either "English or American." Now that I think of it, I have met Germans who spoke English with a "British accent" and others who spoke with an "American accent."
America and England are two countries separated by the same language.

(A quote attributable to someone famous, but I forget who.)

Mafke

Medalist
Mathman said:
MM :)

In Germany (and Scandinavia) books are described as being translated "from English" or "from American". I assume that local translators specialize in one or the other. As a translator myself (Polish into English) I don't accept jobs that are intended specifically for Britain and/or when the client specifically wants British English. I can do straight American or ambiguous international (with American spelling) but not British (it's partly spelling and punctuation and partly a different style of writing, I recognize it but can't reproduce it).

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Thanks for the translation, Anke! Much appreciated!

First of all, I'm glad he's finally coming clean. I don't understand why he hasn't done so when he was first accused - he couldn't have believed it would have just gone away. It's like Clinton's "I have never had sexual relations with that woman" - many people could ignore the Monica thing, but not the "how dare you accuse me of what I actualy did" thing. He insistence that he didn't really know what he was doing (actually believable) would have sounded much better coming a bit earlier.

Ottawagal

Spectator
Languages certainly change--I live in Mexico--speak Mexican Spanish fairly well--cannot understand Spanish Spanish--different sounds, words--just like English--there is the davenport, sofa, chesterfield-and so on and so on.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Ottawagal said:
Languages certainly change--I live in Mexico--speak Mexican Spanish fairly well--cannot understand Spanish Spanish--different sounds, words--just like English--there is the davenport, sofa, chesterfield-and so on and so on.

I was born in Argentina and spoke Argetinian spanish as my first language...now that i live in Europe and spend a lot of time in Spain i find i don't have any problem understanding the Spanish (until you get right down in the south and they start doing extreme things like substituting the letter "L" for the letter "R"!!!) And i had to learn new words for most fruit and vegetables!!

Ant