Injuries & Other Ills for 2015-16 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Injuries & Other Ills for 2015-16

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I really wonder if the skater Osmond saw does not even know it was her. If their back was turned, they could easily be doing their own thing, not know they were there and not been aware they were the one she had to avoid. I almost think this is most likely as no one has come forward or talked about it. Likely part of the reason she swerved so hard was that the other skater did not see her... i think it is very possible know one actually does know who she had to avoid.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really wonder if the skater Osmond saw does not even know it was her. If their back was turned, they could easily be doing their own thing, not know they were there and not been aware they were the one she had to avoid. I almost think this is most likely as no one has come forward or talked about it. Likely part of the reason she swerved so hard was that the other skater did not see her... i think it is very possible know one actually does know who she had to avoid.

That would be my guess as well. It's very possible that there so many people and they were all moving so quickly, no one could pinpoint exactly where they were on the ice at any given time, and therefore not even know they were the one. Either that or the skater was perhaps extra focused and really didn't know. Often when I'm in dance classes I'm outward focused enough that I understand someone is near me in a combination and therefore I need to be careful where I go, but inward focused enough I don't know who it is. Ice skating moves so much faster than dance I imagine it's the same thing times ten. On another note, I'm rather surprised she didn't recognize, say, a jacket or a hair color in that flash of a glance before she went down too.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
That would be my guess as well. It's very possible that there so many people and they were all moving so quickly, no one could pinpoint exactly where they were on the ice at any given time, and therefore not even know they were the one. Either that or the skater was perhaps extra focused and really didn't know. Often when I'm in dance classes I'm outward focused enough that I understand someone is near me in a combination and therefore I need to be careful where I go, but inward focused enough I don't know who it is. Ice skating moves so much faster than dance I imagine it's the same thing times ten. On another note, I'm rather surprised she didn't recognize, say, a jacket or a hair color in that flash of a glance before she went down too.

All possibly true though at the Ice Palace where Osmond skates it isn't that packed but I guess it doesn't matter; Osmond was just curious as to what happened if they knew. They may not be 100percent sure but they probably have some idea who accidentally caused the accident - no suggestion it was on purpose. I guess we just have to wait and see if she can regain some momentum.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well… she won NH… it wasn't flawless but i'd say that she did very well for the time of the season…. so it seems to me that she has healed and is gaining her jumps back… actually, to me, she seems even better than before SO GO KO!!!!

Tallorder

On the Ice
It's fascinating to see the varying levels of disclosure regarding injuries. "Old school" teachings were to keep everything as quiet as possible and only disclose at the last possible moment, and only if necessary. Now, it seems there are almost media handlers and strategies for giving interviews about injuries. Kind of a puzzling change in practice and perceptions I suppose.

LRK

Record Breaker
It's fascinating to see the varying levels of disclosure regarding injuries. "Old school" teachings were to keep everything as quiet as possible and only disclose at the last possible moment, and only if necessary. Now, it seems there are almost media handlers and strategies for giving interviews about injuries. Kind of a puzzling change in practice and perceptions I suppose.

Maybe the prevalence of social media has something to do with it? And there is so much chatter, and rumours tend to spread on the internet, that things must be handled in a new way?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I have a feeling it's to do with the level of exposure now. If someone withdrew from a summer competition back in the 1960s, who was going to know? The people organising the summer comp, the people attending the summer comp, that was it. Fans of that skater who lived elsewhere might not have even known said skater was going to be there, much less that they withdrew.

Now, however, with the entries up for everyone to see, if someone's name suddenly disappears, people are going to want to know why. The skating press and the fans both will want to know. So they can either decide to tell, or keep it secret and make it worse. Look how crazy us Joshua fans were getting, no news all summer, withdrawal from shows, no summer comps, no Senior Bs, no appearance at Champs Camp. And then when he finally did reveal the problem and the extent of the problem it turned out to be quite major.

In this case, too, I think it is important that skaters are open about their injuries. It's not the 1960s anymore. The prevailing attitude towards someone skating or playing through an injury is no longer "wow, how brave!" but more, "Wow, what an idiot." (Unless you're Hanyu, in which case your fans will fetishize said stupidity for the rest of time.) Younger skaters need to make sure they get the message. We know so much more about how injuries affect the body now.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I think it may depend on the situation the athlete is in. For example, with a team like A&S on the substitute list, they may have been hoping to receive a late-season invite to a second GP and feared that announcing an injury early could eliminate that possibility. OTOH, not announcing an injury can make it sound as though a team is being overlooked by one's own federation. A bit of a balancing act. In general, I agree that a more open policy is wiser, for the reasons karne expressed. In a judged sport, I suppose there is always concern that an injury may be viewed as an excuse for undermarking an athlete in competition. But in general, I don't see that playing out in practice on the ice unless an athlete really has dialed back the difficulty he or she is presenting. And injuries are so prevalent in elite athletics. Most athletes that have been competing at an elite level for more than a couple years have at least one chronic injury they can call upon whenever there is a competitive reason to sit out of an event.

LRK

Record Breaker
Takahiko Kozuka has announced withdrawal from CoC, due to left foot/ankle injury. :cry::cry: His official website: http://www.t-kozuka.com/

Get well soon, Taka.

Thank you, dedee1 - Sorry about Kozuka; I hope he gets well soon. But talking about him - didn't he have a longstanding injury that needed surgery? Does anyone know anything more about that, and how the situation is now?

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Thank you, dedee1 - Sorry about Kozuka; I hope he gets well soon. But talking about him - didn't he have a longstanding injury that needed surgery? Does anyone know anything more about that, and how the situation is now?
From what I've heard he had a hip injury and there were plans for an operation but he decided not to opt for surgery. It healed so that he could still compete. He said that hip did not bother him that much. But unfortunately his jumps suffered a lot.

LRK

Record Breaker
From what I've heard he had a hip injury and there were plans for an operation but he decided not to opt for surgery. It healed so that he could still compete. He said that hip did not bother him that much. But unfortunately his jumps suffered a lot.

Thank you. Yes, I did wonder what part the injury played with his consistency issues. Similarly with Kevin Reynolds and his postponed surgery (note: which he has since had). It can be a hard decision to make, sometimes, I don't doubt.

LRK

Record Breaker
A question.

Marchei/Hotarek withdrew from the LP in Skate Canada. The Swedish Eurosport commentators said something about a concussion from earlier in the week? (I didn't quite catch what they were saying, sadly.) Does anyone have any further information about this?