Injury to Hongbo Zhao | Golden Skate

Injury to Hongbo Zhao

nymkfan51

Medalist
Terrible news! Apparently he injured his achilles tendon and is out for the season. Don't know if the Olympics are still a possibilty. Here is a link to a picture of him in the hospital. Maybe someone could translate the Chinese for us.
This is just horrible for them ... they must be devastated.

http://star.sports.cn/shzh/xwlb/2005-08-09/640532.html

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
nymkfan51 said:
Terrible news! Apparently he injured his achilles tendon and is out for the season. Don't know if the Olympics are still a possibilty. Here is a link of a picture of him in the hospital. Maybe someone could translate the Chinese for us.
This is just horrible for them ... they must be devastated.

http://star.sports.cn/shzh/xwlb/2005-08-09/640532.html

A translated article i read (sorry don't have the link to hand) said that he broke his achilles tendon (i presume they mean snapped) whilst practising a triple/triple.

This does not sounds good at all - remember Surya Bonaly and Sarah Abitbol? They were both achilles tendon injuries (i think Surya's was a snapped achilles tendon) and they never made it back to how they skated before in time for the Olympics.

I'm so depressed about this. I wonder how many back room deals have just been blown out of the water as a result of this? There isn't another chinese team close enough to Totmianina and Marinin with which to bargain...i think the pairs competition is going to be real let down without Shen & Zhao.

Ant

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Shen & Zhao must be the unluckiest FS leaders. Almost everyone acknowledges they are the best, yet they may very well have only two World Golds to their careers...

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Oh, this makes me so sad. I wanted them to win in Torino. Now it's going to be a really dull competition. Dang.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
I was talking with Anton S. earlier this year about Shen and Zhao and their Olympic chances and he said he felt they were too old now and probably wouldn't make it to Torino. Seems he may have been right - at least about the possibly not making Torino. How old is Zhao?

Well, what a tragedy. I'll never, ever forget Worlds 2003 when almost the entire arena was on their feet in a standing ovation a good 30-45 seconds before their free skate even came to an end....truly magnificent.

brad640

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
Shen & Zhao must be the unluckiest FS leaders. Almost everyone acknowledges they are the best, yet they may very well have only two World Golds to their careers...

But those 2 world titles are more memorable than the last several OGM winning performances, especially Kazakova and Dmitriev.

It just kills the most exciting division in figure skating for the Olympics. Even if they skate, without the practice they will not be at their best. That's the way it is in Skateland.

Joe

Kateri

On the Ice
I am just in a million depressions about this. They must be absolutely devastated.

*AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!*

k.

pollyls

Rinkside
Terrible news...

This is so awful. I had hoped this was their Olympics and their gold medal coming after so many years of beautiful skating and hard work. :cry:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I feel heartbroken for them. I loved their skating so much. What they accomplished will be remembered by skating fans. They won some glory for themselves that's for sure.

I feel badly for T&M too. If they win, many people will still be thinking they didn't beat the best.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I want to add my sentiments of sadness here too. I just love their skating. :cry: :cry:

Dee

sk8m8

Final Flight
Hardly too old...he will be 32 in september. Artur skating competitively until his mid to late 30's.

waxel

Final Flight
I am stunned. There went any chance for fireworks in the Olympic Pairs event. We'll be left now with the Battle of the Bores. What a terrible loss for Shen & Zhao personally and for the entire sport in general. Although surely unrealistic, I'll hold out hope for a miraculous recovery.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
This is terrible news! I root for everyone to do well, but they had a special place on my wish list for the Olympics. They have brought so much to the Pairs world and have more than earned their position as one of my top 3 favorite pairs of all time. I certainly hope Zhao can recover. This sort of reminds me of the 1980 Olympic pairs' drama when Randy and Tai had to drop out due to injury when they clearly could have contended for Gold. :disapp:

jesslily

Final Flight
I wish Shen and Zhao know about our thread and how many fans in US love and support their skating...at least they'd feel a little better...I realize how down they could be...hope Zhao will recover in 3 months and they could have two months or so to get some solid training...