Insole shape difference with brands? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Insole shape difference with brands?

canskater

Rinkside
This is a slightly different question, but I didn't think it warranted a new thread.

I have Edea boots currently. Currently going well, skills are progressing etc.

We have discovered since getting boots that actually fit, that my right foot pronates quite a lot.

I got rid of the flimsy Edea sole that was in there, and put a different one in, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the Jackson insoles.

My biggest issue is that I am concerned that the Jackson insoles would be too wide for my Edea boot. The insole in the right boot now, had to be cut so it would fit in the boot, as originally it was too wide.

The Jackson insoles seem to be quite good, and I was thinking they might help my right foot. I'm not sure my coach knows much about them. I also wouldn't want to have to do too much cutting/shaping as I would be worried it would throw off the support. I also wouldn't know which degree of support would be better for me.

Edea have insoles, but they seem to be more shock absorbers, than support. I'm only learning single jumps at the moment, and most of the time I'm too chicken to get off the ground, so I wouldn't think shock absorbing insoles would be necessary right now.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these insoles, and putting them in a differently branded boot.
I have experience with Jackson supreme insoles but not fitting them in Edeas. They have them in 3, 5 and 7 degrees (the higher giving more support/anti-pronation). I purchased both in 3 (yellow) and 5 (blue) degrees insoles: 3 degrees will give you basically nothing and I would not bother purchasing those, 5 degrees made a difference for me. I don't heavily pronate in general (it's a motor control and hip weakness issue) and before using the insoles I could control/prevent over-pronation half the time, but these insoles are a game changer and I've improved drastically in controlling my outside edge. I still have to "work" for it, but now I don't get arch pain and am seeing gains in minutes for things that take me weeks/months to master (improved time on single leg outside edge for instance). I really love these insoles. I suspect the 7 degrees would be for those who heavily pronate and in that case adjusting the blade would probably be more suitable.
The support is at the medial heel and arch so if any clipping were to be done (not recommended but if it works for you why not) the outer edge at the forefoot is where I would make the sacrifice. If you do order, look at 5 and/or 7 degree support (Jackson will let you return them, as long as you don't cut of course) but if you heavily pronate I'd discuss blade placement with your coach and skate tech.

Last edited:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have experience with Jackson supreme insoles but not fitting them in Edeas. They have them in 3, 6 and 9 degrees (the higher giving more support/anti-pronation).
I just want to check whether you typed in the wrong values, or whether you have older (?) models of the Jackson Supreme insoles. Their current website lists 3, 5, and 7 degrees:

canskater

Rinkside
I just want to check whether you typed in the wrong values, or whether you have older (?) models of the Jackson Supreme insoles. Their current website lists 3, 5, and 7 degrees:

Yes your are right I meant 3, 5 and 7 degrees! Thanks, I've updated my post

tinna

Spectator
This is a slightly different question, but I didn't think it warranted a new thread.

I have Edea boots currently. Currently going well, skills are progressing etc.

We have discovered since getting boots that actually fit, that my right foot pronates quite a lot.

I got rid of the flimsy Edea sole that was in there, and put a different one in, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the Jackson insoles.

My biggest issue is that I am concerned that the Jackson insoles would be too wide for my Edea boot. The insole in the right boot now, had to be cut so it would fit in the boot, as originally it was too wide.

The Jackson insoles seem to be quite good, and I was thinking they might help my right foot. I'm not sure my coach knows much about them. I also wouldn't want to have to do too much cutting/shaping as I would be worried it would throw off the support. I also wouldn't know which degree of support would be better for me.

Edea have insoles, but they seem to be more shock absorbers, than support. I'm only learning single jumps at the moment, and most of the time I'm too chicken to get off the ground, so I wouldn't think shock absorbing insoles would be necessary right now.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these insoles, and putting them in a differently branded boot.
I have had Jackson insoles (The matrix footbed) in a pair of Edea Chorus boots and it fit well. I currently have the same insoles in my Risport boots and have had no issues with it.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have had Jackson insoles (The matrix footbed) in a pair of Edea Chorus boots and it fit well. I currently have the same insoles in my Risport boots and have had no issues with it.

Matrix insoles came with my Jackson boots, but I swapped them out. The Jackson Matrix insoles are different from the Jackson Supreme insoles. The Matrix insoles have what I consider to be a fake arch support. When you step on it, it flattens out. So the Matrix insoles are essentially the same as a flat insole; fit is not critical, and they can be readily trimmed if needed. The Supreme insoles have a corrective arch support and a corrective heel wedge; fit is more critical, and as canskater wrote above, trimming, if needed, should be approached with caution:

The support is at the medial heel and arch so if any clipping were to be done (not recommended but if it works for you why not) the outer edge at the forefoot is where I would make the sacrifice.

tinna

Spectator
Matrix insoles came with my Jackson boots, but I swapped them out. The Jackson Matrix insoles are different from the Jackson Supreme insoles. The Matrix insoles have what I consider to be a fake arch support. When you step on it, it flattens out. So the Matrix insoles are essentially the same as a flat insole; fit is not critical, and they can be readily trimmed if needed. The Supreme insoles have a corrective arch support and a corrective heel wedge; fit is more critical, and as canskater wrote above, trimming, if needed, should be approached with caution:
Yes, you are certainly right, they are not for arch support nor for pronation but for absorbing the shocks.