Interview with Nina Mozer about pairs, Medvedeva and China | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Interview with Nina Mozer about pairs, Medvedeva and China

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Interview with Nina Mozer about coaching the pairs, Medvedeva leaving Eteri, and the Chinese team at the 2022 Olympics

Brian Orser will now coach China's top single man.

Looks like this was before Boyang announcement

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
Her comment about Boyang is very flattering. :biggrin: Although I don't believe in calling anybody the "next someone", I'm surprised (in a good way) that she has such big hopes for him. :) Even if some of it was about him going to Orser

As for Beijing, I agree. China will really pour in their resources in order to win, especially in a big-name event like Figure Skating. They got Brian and Tracy to oversee (?) their team, and had a couple coaching changes. Probably considering to medal, maybe even win in the Team Event. They would've beaten Japan/Italy (pre-FS) in Pyeongchang if Boyang won SP and S/H won FS.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I forgot.

Thank you Dante for bring this over. It is an interesting read.

BTW.. Grateful to all of you that provide translations. It is a very necessary gift to the forum. As I always say "Friends do not make friends use google translate."

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Restrictions are stupid, and what's more idiotic is that the IOC or IFS never consults with countries and their coaches/federations.

I do think age restrictions are proposed with good intentions, and I don't necessarily trust any federation to do something that is best for the health of their athletes. However, the reality is that the juniors are training the hardest jumps, and no age restriction is going to change that. This makes the restrictions seem somewhat arbitrary, as they do nothing to protect athletes from overtraining triples (and quads).

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
This is actually false. The change was made after Tara won gold. Sarah qualified for her first Worlds through an exemption (Jr Worlds medal) and Sasha missed her first chance because she didn't qualify for an exemption.

This assertion has been bothering me ever since it started popping up. It's so blatantly false. People cared so much about those "baby ballerinas" (as Dick Button used to say) back in the 90s, several of whom were American (notice how none of these interviews mention Oksana), that the age rules DID change. And back then, we went through the same ol' debate we're having now about maturity and artistry and athleticism. I don't know why they're acting like this is a new conversation.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I wonder who is the coach that the Chinese team paid 1.5 times. I can only think of Lori Nicole, but she hardly created any programs in recent years.

andromache

Record Breaker
notice how none of these interviews mention Oksana)

This is actually really interesting - why don't we talk about Oksana when we talk about young girls in figure skating? Is it because she was more artistic than the older ladies she was up against? (That's my guess.)

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
This is actually really interesting - why don't we talk about Oksana when we talk about young girls in figure skating? Is it because she was more artistic than the older ladies she was up against? (That's my guess.)

I think if someone wants to complain about just Americans, they're going to leave her out. Bringing up a skater from Eastern Europe would undermine the point they're trying to (erroneously) make: that the skating community is picking on Alina (or any other Eteri wunderkind) because she's Russian/not American. Oksana's age was certainly part of the conversation back in the 90s, especially when compared to Nancy Kerrigan, who was often positioned as her polar opposite in terms of physical and (arguably) artistic maturity.

For the record, I didn't support raising the age minimum. I'm honestly not bothered by it. What does bother me is revisionist history. :laugh:

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
"- The last question. You mentioned how the Chinese prepare for the Olympics. I personally worked at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, it was the best after Sochi among all 7 Olympics I've been at. At its time Beijing was absolutely the best, absolutely fantastic, only Sochi could beat it in terms of organization. "

Seriously? Sochi better than Beijing? :laugh2: In which universe? Tell that to Caro, Mao, Yuna.. the audience and spirit at Sochi was horrible.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder who is the coach that the Chinese team paid 1.5 times. I can only think of Lori Nicole, but she hardly created any programs in recent years.

She choreographed for Sui and Han, Boyang Jin, and Peng and Jin for the last few years. Not sure about other Chinese skaters.