IOC Entering Targeted Dialogues for 2030 & 2034 Olympic Hosts | Golden Skate

IOC Entering Targeted Dialogues for 2030 & 2034 Olympic Hosts

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
"Following a recommendation by the International Olympic Committee (IOC)'s Future Host Commission for the Olympic Winter Games, the IOC Executive Board (EB) today invited the French National Olympic Committee (CNOSF) and the US Olympic and Paralympic Committee (USOPC) into Targeted Dialogues towards hosting the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games 2030 in the French Alps, and the 2034 edition in Salt Lake City-Utah. The IOC will now start more detailed discussions with the Preferred Hosts, led by their National Olympic Committees (NOCs), with the aim of awarding both editions at the 142nd IOC Session in July in Paris." - Olympics.com

Currently, the preliminary talks are to ensure support and infrastructure is in place before the official awarding in July. The Olympics have decided to dual-award the 2030 and 2034 Olympics following issues with the 2030 bids. The contenders for 2030 were Salt Lake City, who requested to host 2034 instead due to the proximity to the 2028 Olympics, Stockholm, and Switzerland. Switzerland is the current front-runner for a 2038 Olympic host spot, entering into a Privileged Dialogue with the IOC. Cancelled bids included Sapporo and Vancouver, which were both withdrawn due to a lack of public and government support. The 2030 Olympics, assuming the talks go through, will be hosted by the French Olympic Committee in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur and Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes regions. The bid focuses on using pre-existing infrastructure and sustainable practices to host a cheap and environmentally-friendly Olympics. The 2034 Olympics will aim to build upon the legacy of the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City.

What are your thoughts on these potential locations? How do you feel about such a European and North American dominated field? It's interesting that France will host two Olympics within ten years, and the Italy-France-Switzerland region will potentially host five of the next eight Olympics.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Olympics will be held always in the same cities... Especially winter... Meh.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What are your thoughts on these potential locations? How do you feel about such a European and North American dominated field? It's interesting that France will host two Olympics within ten years, and the Italy-France-Switzerland region will potentially host five of the next eight Olympics.
Presumably the rest of the world didn't apply. It's sadly old-fashioned and narrowly parochial but it is what it is.

Weathergal

Medalist
The climate is limiting for the Winter Olympics, of course. I'm OK with the selections/possible selections mentioned, but I was hoping Kazakhstan might be in the running. I think they were a few years ago - can't remember for which Olympics.

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
The climate is limiting for the Winter Olympics, of course. I'm OK with the selections/possible selections mentioned, but I was hoping Kazakhstan might be in the running. I think they were a few years ago - can't remember for which Olympics.
Almaty was the other candidate city for 2022 iirc

Hosting the Olympics has become so, so, so expensive that many communitees and local governments. even national governments, can't afford to do it. I wouldn't be surprised to see a movement to build some permanent facilities at a few select locations and re-use them on a rotating basis. In the off years they could host championship events in various individual winter sports.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Hosting the Olympics has become so, so, so expensive that many communitees and local governments. even national governments, can't afford to do it. I wouldn't be surprised to see a movement to build some permanent facilities at a few select locations and re-use them on a rotating basis. In the off years they could host championship events in various individual winter sports.
That's a solution that has been discussed already, especially when it comes to winter games. Climate is indeed a factor but also, there are very specific installations that are not to be found everywhere : a big enough mountain for the men's downhill is a must. Also, the sliding sports need a track (bob, luge, skeleton). For instance, the sliding track had to be built from scratch in Vancouver. In Vancouver, they also built the oval for speed skating, which no longer exists (has been reconverted if I recall properly). Quebec city would have loved the games in 2002... but apparently, our mountains weren't big enough.

The IOC wants to reduce costs in many different ways : for instance, the former bidding process would cost a candidate a fortune ! Just to get to the voting point. The way things are done right now, saves a lot of money to potential hosts. It may encourage some governments to apply knowing that it will be less of a money pit just to apply. At this point, no city in Canada wants the winter games. I am not sure any city would want the summer games either, perhaps Toronto. The public opinion is clear : waste of money. The governments cannot do anything if the people don't want the games. They have better and better battles to fight.

So, this simply means that yes, the Alps will be the IOC winter game center, as well as SLC and maybe Lake Placid??? (not sure about the latter but as it won't be in Canada... if they want to have games out of Europe once in a while, they will have to think it through as Japan also seems frisky about hosting winter games again).

So again. MEH :)

The IOC is forgetting one very important thing : one of the most popular aspect of the games, if not the most popular aspect of the games for the casual fans, is discovering a new city, country and moreover the culture of the hosts. Already, there is not so much I would like to know about SLC (sorry Nathan Chen, love him though!) but then if it goes on repeat... MEH.

Almaty would have been awesome indeed. Of course, I am very biased but if the games somehow ended up in Quebec city (not going to happen anytime soon for sure) I bet people all over the world would fall in love for this wonderful winter destination... Too bad the vote in 2002 was bought ;) and since then, times have changed... Getting the Olympics is no longer a must for local governments.

Last edited:

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
I could never understand the enthusiasts who advocate holding the Olympics in their country, and especially in their city. A waste of money is an understatement. For example, after the Olympics in Montreal (1976), this city spent another 30 years paying off its debts - but was it worth it? Did anyone still remember this event?

Maybe we should choose one place on Earth, declare it neutral territory, build all the necessary infrastructure there at the expense of all the countries that are members of the IOC, and then hold all subsequent Olympics there. I think it would be significantly cheaper.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I could never understand the enthusiasts who advocate holding the Olympics in their country, and especially in their city. A waste of money is an understatement. For example, after the Olympics in Montreal (1976), this city spent another 30 years paying off its debts - but was it worth it? Did anyone still remember this event?

Maybe we should choose one place on Earth, declare it neutral territory, build all the necessary infrastructure there at the expense of all the countries that are members of the IOC, and then hold all subsequent Olympics there. I think it would be significantly cheaper.
Actually, Montreal is the last olympics that cost that much money because back then, the TV rights were not what they are today. The city had pretty much no elite sports installations.. so yes, it was expensive but many installations are hubs for elite athletes now or have been repurposed, like the biodome, a wonderful place to visit (plants and animals) which was formerly the velodrome used at the Olympics The city wouldn't be the same without the games. The Olympic stadium is still a landmark attracting tourists from all over the world. You are very mistaken in your perception of Montreal games. Two big events cost a ton of money from Montrealers : Expo 1967 and the '76 games, Thanks to these events, the subway was built, and the city was launched as one of the big North American/World cities. Prior to these two events, the infrastructures were completely not adapted not only to receive tourists but also for public transit and services.

I was on site during Vancouver games : it was awesome. I was out celebrating the Canadian hockey gold medal with friends, the city was bursting with joy. The whole two weeks were spectacular. On top of that, the skytrain was extended to the airport, which has changed tremendously and positively the public transportation in the city. The Olympic athletes village/accommodation was planned to be sold after the games as housing for locals, which was extremely needed in the area.

Despite all their problems, the games can be very meaningful as catalysts to revamp a city's infrastructure and its inhabitants can benefit from them afterwards. There are many advantages. Of course, it is a costly enterprise and nowadays, it is difficult to get the public opinion to side with the governments to apply to host games, at least in Canada. However, the 3 games hosted on Canadian soil had tremendous positive impact on the cities where they were hosted.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I think the only or at least the last Olympics that were worth it for the city are the games in Barcelona.
Ever since it hasn't paid off at all for the cities/areas, so it's no wonder that especially democratic countries / their public often have no interest in hosting big sports events - the only ones who might be interested are real sports enthusiasts or mayors and other more local/regional politicians/ sports association people who want to bring a big shiny project to their area.
There's a reason so many big sports events are held in dictatorships now which try to sportswash or show their glory regardless of taxpayers or environment.
(Another factor is corruption, whether it's Olympics or football world championships.)

Sustainability, in my eyes, should indeed be one of the most important aspects to consider. I don't know in how far these recent/ upcoming decisions have actually taken that into account and how much of it is PR, but I'm fine with it being the major factor in choosing a host spot.
Especially winter games, which don't bring the attention of summer games, but often more (relative) costs because they require very specific facilities, are not very attractive to cities and are in danger of leaving behind mostly unused facilities.

I am happy if the games happen somewhere close to me and I might try to get some tickets for Milano. However, in the end it's just a "oh, nice", not a "I need to have them here!!!" I have never been to the Olympics and I imagine everything to be very stressful. I am not intending to visit the games in Paris, although it's pretty close and I'm actually a fan of many sports - but in the end, the prices for everything are high and I think the city will be super full. As a tax payer I would not be excited about my city hosting the games, and just from a general perspective reading about the damage that the Olympics often bring for the environment makes me very angry.

Just make it more sustainable and a bit more casual than those shiny mega events that everyone enjoys for a few days and that then leave behind a big mess. It seems to be the way the IOC is going at the moment to keep some support of the public, because the reputation of the Olympics has suffered a lot in recent years. If that's actually the case, and it's not just all talk, good.

(I would think it's more important for certain regions of winter sport to make themselves more known or remembered as such than for big cities which will get visitors for other reasons. On the other hand I fear more environmental damage in such regions. But I don't know enough about it to make statements about specific cities or venues.)

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Downhill skiing and skeleton play also a big role. Finland for example is not able to organize olys without partner because here are not enough high hills. Would likebto to do it to but cannot.

nickp91

Final Flight
Sweden by far had the best technical bid and plan for sustainability To me it was far and away the front runner for 2030

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
It’s also not like there aren’t any more costs associated with the Olympics besides just building the facilities. Even if you have permanent buildings, you still need to update the equipment, do maintenance, etc. While a permanent facility can help, it’s still not going to solve all the problems, etc. associated with holding the Olympics.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It’s also not like there aren’t any more costs associated with the Olympics besides just building the facilities. Even if you have permanent buildings, you still need to update the equipment, do maintenance, etc. While a permanent facility can help, it’s still not going to solve all the problems, etc. associated with holding the Olympics.
Of course. For instance, at this point, housing has become a huge issue for many bids. The talk about sportive installations is major because of exactly that : it's so expensive already, if someone needs to build a bob track or a speed skating oval... or even a few rinks because curling, hockey, short track, figure skating all happening in the span of 2 weeks... etc If there is too much that isn't already there, with the cost of everything else, it's difficult. Unless, like in the 70s, 80s, some cities desire to build themselves up... Like Montreal did back then.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder what the impact would be to award multiple Olympics to a host city.

For example, if Tonto City had the chance for the 2030 and 2034 Games, would they be more likely to invest in the infrastructure necessary to host?

Maybe we should choose one place on Earth, declare it neutral territory, build all the necessary infrastructure there at the expense of all the countries that are members of the IOC, and then hold all subsequent Olympics there.
Greece. :) I don't know if Greece would surrender any sovereign territory to it, though.

Skiing Mount Olympus:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker