is 14 too late even if ive done ballet? | Golden Skate

is 14 too late even if ive done ballet?

amara_evelynn

Spectator
Im new around here and i was wondering if 13-14 is too old to start figure skating? I have had ~10 years of ballet experience and am now in the intermidiate-advanced classes and en pointe. Ive always wanted to try figure skating, however I also dont know if i should switch. My strong suit in ballet is jumps so i think that could help me with skating but i dont know. I would like to compete as well but I dont want to get to ahead of myself yet. I havent really seen anyone talking about them transitioning from ballet to skating and wanted to see if anyone could answer my question. Thank you for your time.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
You'll likely never get to elite levels (though it's totally possible). Johnny Weir started at 12 but his success is the exception, not the rule. I'm gonna tell you something though, I got my first axel when I was 12 with a really terrible coach. I did synchro for three years after that and decided I was never jumping again. When I turned 14 it was made clear to me that I needed to land all my double jumps after three years of only jumping axels and all other singles with terrible technique. I switched coaches got super close to a consistent double axel within 5 months. The got injured and then COVID happened right when I was ready to go back. Got back on the ice and I'm now working on that same double axel again. Fast progress CAN happen if you dedicate yourself to it.

My biggest advice:
- Don't let your fear take over, it's fake. Nothing about fear is real except for the fact that you're feeling it.
- Get a good coach that has regularly trained students to triples if possible.
- Find a facility with a strong club and room for off ice training. These clubs often have off ice classes and on ice group classes that will strengthen your skating and give you multiple opinions from successful coaches.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
It is never to late to start, you just need to be realistic about your expectations. (Your ballet background may help, or it may not. Jumps in ballet are nothing like figure skating jumps and some of the things that have been ingrained in you for ballet will work against you as a skater while other things will make it easier for you then someone without the ballet background.) Like gliese says, it's unlikely you'll ever make it to the elite level since you're starting late, but that doesn't mean you can't compete at the local level or even low level competitive (depending on where you live and how quickly you progress) or (in the more distant future) the adult circuit.

I suggest finding a club and a coach and giving it a few months to see how it goes before you start setting goals. This will give you a chance to see where you are in terms of ability and if it's something you'd like to pursue. It's never too late to start. I know someone who didn't learn to skate until his 20s. He's self-taught and landed all his doubles (minus the axel) and has all his gold tests.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I would not quit ballet for skating, I would try to do both, because as others have said you will most likely never make it to elite in skating, and it's honestly pretty awesome how accomplished you are in ballet. That doesn't mean you can't learn to skate and compete at lower or local levels and still have fun, enjoy the sport and accomplish things.

Good luck!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
It's never too late to start. I regularly work with adults in their 60s and occasionally 70s who are new to skating. The first step is to try it. You might love it or you might decide that it's so alien that you never, ever want to strap those knife shoes onto your feet again! And that's okay; you can still love watching it without doing it.

If, however, you do love it then your heart won't let you stop. As Ic3Rabbit says, don't give up the ballet. Start skating lessons (group or private) and work your socks off. Whilst the odds are against you for the Olympics, striving to achieve it won't hurt your progress and there will be opportunities to compete at pretty much every level. You may decide that coaching, choreography or show skating are the things that float your boat and even if you decide ultimately that you'd rather be an accountant, the adult competition circuit is growing and becoming more amazing every year, so skating is the best hobby out there.

Give it a try. You'll never know unless you try.

iceskating21

On the Ice
There are many adult skaters in my rink. It's about your goal. It's sort of late if you want to be an elite skater. Otherwise, why not?

Crystal Rainbows

Rinkside
Country
Canada
It's never too late! First thing is to just get out there and skate, see if you still like it after doing some practice and training. When I was serious I skated a few hours every day and didn't want to do anything else. I know a couple that switched from dance to skating and they are progressing really quickly. When I used to compete there was a girl in my rink, who won the juniors after only 18 months of skating. I went from Ballet to skating at 12-13 but was nowhere near your abilities and placed 4th in my provincials and 10th in the nationals. ANYTHING is possible if you are dedicated and love it enough to push through the difficult stuff.

Caspen

Spectator
It's never too late, and frankly, I think that just because people like us rarely make it to elite competitive levels is NO reason not to try. There's expectations, and then there's hopes. Go for it and don't let anyone tell you that you can't!

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
What country are you from? In some countries you can get to big internationals with a few triples in a program if you're female. (and maybe if you're male and represent a really small fed.)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What country are you from? In some countries you can get to big internationals with a few triples in a program if you're female. (and maybe if you're male and represent a really small fed.)
Noooooooope.

Because for "big internationals" you need tech minimums.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Noooooooope.

Because for "big internationals" you need tech minimums.
Tech minimums aren't that high though.
You just need two types of triple and double axel as well as good spins and Steps.

Female TES required: 30/51.
Sp breakdown:
2A: 3.3
3S+2T: 5.6
3Lo: 4.9
StSqlvl3: 3.3
CCoSp4: 3.0
CSSp4: 3.0
FCSp4: 3.2
BV is 26.3 with no elements in the second half. A lady would just need +2 as an average GOE in the sp.
In FS add the 26.3 BV to:
2A - 3.3
3S+2T+2Lo - 7.3
3Lo - 4.9
2Lz+2T - 3.4
Add +1 to everything there and you get 49.72, throw in a choreo sequence and you're over 51.

Last edited:

concorde

Medalist
How supportive are your parents? You will need them to be willing to pay for your lessons, ice time, equipment costs, and transport you to the rink. Even if you have huge amounts of raw talent, you cannot make it without your parents' support.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
You are so young! I started skating seriously in my early 40s. There are so many opportunities to test and compete even as an adult. Go for it and see how you like it...