Boots for skates or soft skates? | Golden Skate

Boots for skates or soft skates?

Inaee413

Spectator
Hi!

Since skating with my friends last winter a bunch I think that I really want to do figure skating as hobby.

I just signed up for my first group skating classes and am looking to buy new skates, as the ones I own are too big for me.

I'm 16(F) and roughly 110lbs and was wondering if I should go straight to boots rated for singles or go with soft skates. Ive heard that overbooting is more of an issue for youth and I don't know if I fall into that category. For the most part though I don't want to have to get the skates replaced within the next 2 years.

Also as additional note; I know that getting professionally fitted is best, but I need to figure out how to convince my mum it will be worth it. She plans to take me out next week to sportschek to look at skates.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hi!

Since skating with my friends last winter a bunch I think that I really want to do figure skating as hobby.

I just signed up for my first group skating classes and am looking to buy new skates, as the ones I own are too big for me.

I'm 16(F) and roughly 110lbs and was wondering if I should go straight to boots rated for singles or go with soft skates. Ive heard that overbooting is more of an issue for youth and I don't know if I fall into that category. For the most part though I don't want to have to get the skates replaced within the next 2 years.

Also as additional note; I know that getting professionally fitted is best, but I need to figure out how to convince my mum it will be worth it. She plans to take me out next week to sportschek to look at skates.

Thank you.
Hello: If you want to figure skate and are going to take group lessons, forget about soft skates. They're made for the round-and-round-the-rink leisure skating you did with your friends and are not suitable for figure skating. I doubt if Sport Chek sells any brand other than Jackson, which may or may not fit you properly depending on the shape of your feet. What shape/slant of toes do you have? Are your arches high, medium, low? You gave us your weight, but what is your height? It's important that the person who fits your skates measures your feet and ankles all around, and not just their length as if you were just buying street shoes. Tell your mother it will be money well spent if you go to a proper fitter at a skate shop carrying a wider selection of brands, not a sporting goods store. If you progress well at your lessons, you'll quickly "outgrow" off-the-shelf skates in terms of ability and need to buy better skates. Where do you live, so someone on this international forum can direct you to a nearby skate shop and fitter? If you do have the correct foot shape for Jacksons, we can narrow down which of their models would suit your purpose best. Good luck and have fun!

Inaee413

Spectator
Hi!
I'm roughly 160 cm in height. My foot has a normal arch to it and my toes slope down in a line (not sure if there's a name for that). I live on the east side of Markham, in Ontario.
Thank you for the advice. :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi!
I'm roughly 160 cm in height. My foot has a normal arch to it and my toes slope down in a line (not sure if there's a name for that). I live on the east side of Markham, in Ontario.
Hi and welcome! The advice @Diana Delafield gave you upthread is a great start! Your foot would be considered Egyptian style. That would mean the best brands for you would be Edea and Riedell. At your height/weight stats you would be fine with Edea Motivo or Stride/Stride JR. You'll need a blade to go with those: Ultima Mirage or Aspire XP would be ok for your level.

I must double emphasize that it is very important for you to see an expert fitter for figure skaters, not hockey fitters since many shops in rinks is just that. The fitter will measure and trace your feet etc. In your area you can try Figure Skating Boutique in Thornhill, ONT. Here is their info, you will need to make at appointment with the fitter ahead of time. They carry both the brands I suggested for boots, as well as both blades.
109 DONCASTER AVE
THORNHILL, ON L3T 1L6
416-225-1377

Good luck!

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hi!
Egyptian toes, then. I have those myself. I have those toes plus high arches, and I wear Risports, an Italian brand widely sold in Canada. (I'm in the Vancouver area.) Jacksons would probably be too roomy in the toe area for you, and you want snugness there, not wiggle room. You might want to try the Risport or perhaps Graf. If your mother is adamant about shopping first in a sporting goods store that only carries Jacksons, until she sees if your enthusiasm lasts, at least try the Mystique or Artiste models, and Freestyle would be better. The higher you can go in quality and stiffness, the longer the skates will last (although that doesn't mean I'm recommending stiffness ratings of 75 or 90 for a beginner :biggrin: ; that would definitely be the overbooting you've heard about). Just be aware also that if you are able to go for a skate shop's higher quality separate boots and blades, there's a universal supply problem and you'll almost certainly have to wait weeks for the equipment you ordered, unless you were very lucky and the shop happens to have a pair in your size in stock. If you need them soon because of your group lessons starting, you might have to buy a boot-and-blade set that are available now, bearing in mind that once you've mastered the basics you're going to want the more advanced equipment, so that will be an added expense.

I used to live in Ontario, in Toronto and then Ottawa, but it's been years since I shopped for equipment there and I've lost touch with the best fitters/shops. Anyone know what would be the best place close to Markham for this almost-adult beginner?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hi and welcome! The advice @Diana Delafield gave you upthread is a great start! Your foot would be considered Egyptian style. That would mean the best brands for you would be Edea and Riedell. At your height/weight stats you would be fine with Edea Motivo or Stride/Stride JR. You'll need a blade to go with those: Ultima Mirage or Aspire XP would be ok for your level.

I must double emphasize that it is very important for you to see an expert fitter for figure skaters, not hockey fitters since many shops in rinks is just that. The fitter will measure and trace your feet etc. In your area you can try Figure Skating Boutique in Thornhill, ONT. Here is their info, you will need to make at appointment with the fitter ahead of time. They carry both the brands I suggested for boots, as well as both blades.
109 DONCASTER AVE
THORNHILL, ON L3T 1L6
416-225-1377

Good luck!
Ic3Rabbit was typing at the same time I was, and her suggestions are better than mine for your Egyptian feet with normal arches. Try hers first if you can get to the Figure Skating Boutique, which I used myself many years ago. Keep my ideas about the sporting goods store models in reserve if your mother insists on "starting small" and seeing if your enthusiasm lasts until the end of your first series of lessons, but remind her the cost will be more in the long run if you find you want to keep going. (I went through that with a teenage daughter who wanted to try a new sport or activity every few months, trying to ensure she had good equipment but knowing it was more than likely that equipment would be gathering dust in a few months when she went off to pastures new :rolleye:. But being a lifelong skater myself while other sports came and went in my schedule, naturally I hope figure skating will be The One for you :hap10:.)

Inaee413

Spectator
Hi!
Just went to get fitted for skates.
My mum seems to think that figure skating recreationally means that I just need "recreational" skates. Thus, she explained to the fitter that I just needed recreational skates before I could say anything. Since she was paying for the skates I didn't really want to say anything.
I ended up with Jackson's Excels which surprisingly fit really nicely so that's a win. How long do you think they could last for? Also what's the general time frame for group lessons to start jumps?

silverlily1

On the Ice
Hi!
My mum seems to think that figure skating recreationally means that I just need "recreational" skates. Thus, she explained to the fitter that I just needed recreational skates before I could say anything. Since she was paying for the skates I didn't really want to say anything.
I ended up with Jackson's Excels which surprisingly fit really nicely so that's a win. How long do you think they could last for? Also what's the general time frame for group lessons to start jumps?
It depends on your progress/skill/dedication, but for my daughter it took her about four months when she was 12, to go from marching on ice and barely standing up to starting waltz jumps, and another month to be doing toe loops and salchows. Only a month to be doing two-foot jumps with a turn, and 2-3 months to be doing 3-jumps (which are the first jumps she did on one foot). At almost two years in (would have been a bit sooner if we'd had better coaching last year), she's working on lutzes and axels, and is wearing intermediate boots and blades (about $900 for the boot and blade). She's "beginner competitive level." But you can see how quickly she got there from not being able to skate at all. Older people progress far faster than children (to a point - I spoke to an adult last weekend who has been skating for nine years and is at beginner competitive level. But she's much older than you are).

Those boots you got are not safe for ANY jumping on one foot, especially at over 100 lb. They won't last you very long.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi!
Hi. I hate to have to say this but these boots are rated 2 and they are in no way safe or stiff enough for you at 110lbs. Jackson is also not for your foot shape so that adds more issues. These are not going to last you and I don't even feel safe with you stroking and learning 3turns and such in them, it's not going to support your ankles etc. You got boots that are designed for young kids (8 and under).
I worry about injury. And don't ever consider jumping in them, they are not going to support you in any way.

Inaee413

Spectator
I understand that I won't be able to jump safely on them, wasn't planning to.
Although I'd like to ask; what is the difference in the necessary amount of stiffness between recreational skating and stroking?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I understand that I won't be able to jump safely on them, wasn't planning to.
Although I'd like to ask; what is the difference in the necessary amount of stiffness between recreational skating and stroking?
Recreational skating is stroking around and around at a public skate. You learning to figure skate will not be rec skating at all. Lastly, I'm telling you I don't trust these skates for learning basic skills at your height/weight. Not just jumps.

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hi!
I've never taken group lessons, but ones I've glimpsed while coming and going at a variety of rinks didn't appear to be teaching jumps at all, or not above partial to half revolutions like waltz jumps or a falling leaf. But in any case, you can't jump in those weak boots. Please don't try. (And a Jackson may feel comfortable new, but they're wrong for your shape of foot and will very soon give you pain and trouble as your feet try to settle into them and do anything other than straightforward stroking round and round. Sorry.)

Inaee413

Spectator
I understand that as well, but my mum really doesn't understand the need despite my best explanations. In addition my father doesn't like spending money on "useless" things (anything non-academic).

I do agree with your concerns over my safety, the only issue is that I can't get anything better and will just have to make do for now.
I think that I might be able to get stiffer skates on my own during the summer once I've got enough money.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
It seems that your parents are not supportive so for now, if it were me, I'd go with plan B and save all the money they give me (allowances, money gifts etc)until it's enough to buy figure skating boots +blades.
Go back to the fitter and purchase proper footwear for figure skating.
These recreational skates are for people who just go play at the rink a few times each year, don't do anything, just glide on the ice, one foot after the other, like walking, or two feet together, not figure skating.
If you continue with the lessons with a coach + practice time, it's natural that you will progress. And maybe your parents will see this is important to you, you are committed, you made the effort to buy your equipment, this is not just some hobby, and next time they might change their behaviour and support your skating life and expenses!

I wish you great luck and great skating! :)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I understand that as well, but my mum really doesn't understand the need despite my best explanations. In addition my father doesn't like spending money on "useless" things (anything non-academic).

I do agree with your concerns over my safety, the only issue is that I can't get anything better and will just have to make do for now.
I think that I might be able to get stiffer skates on my own during the summer once I've got enough money.
Have you skated on them? If not, ask your mother to return them, and see whether she'll let you have the money to which you can add to get a proper pair later.

Inaee413

Spectator
I have not skated on them, but I doubt my mum would let me spend any more money as of now or later. The skates were 140 at 20 percent off, my mum originally wanting to spend less than 130.
I think it's just that she doesn't understand the importance of stiff skates whereas she thinks the expensive (higher than 200) are just for professionals and competitive kids.
Currently saving as much cash as I can :)

silverlily1

On the Ice
I have not skated on them, but I doubt my mum would let me spend any more money as of now or later. The skates were 140 at 20 percent off, my mum originally wanting to spend less than 130.
I think it's just that she doesn't understand the importance of stiff skates whereas she thinks the expensive (higher than 200) are just for professionals and competitive kids.
Early competitive kids are wearing boot and blade combo at $300-400 minimum, up to $500+ for boots and $300 for blades, depending on weight and skill level. Later competitive kids are wearing that higher number or up to $2000 or so (buying boots and blades separately as well). Professionals can be wearing almost $2000 boots and blades easily. The more they're worn and the higher the skills being done in them, the sooner they need replacing. The $200 skates are for people stroking around the ice a few times a year who aren't very heavy. That heavy padding in the recreational boots breaks down quickly, leaving the boot a worse fit, and doesn't support your foot properly for figure skating. What a young early competitive kid might wear is closer to what an older beginner might wear, as being heavier and taller means you need a stiffer boot.

I tried jumping in the best boot I could get from a non-figure-skating fitter, about 10 years ago. It was two levels higher than the boot you got. They lasted about two months of lessons before I broke my ankle in two places doing an easy jump. Half of what I had been doing in my 1/2 hour, once a week lessons was basic stroking, half was easy jumps. I was only ten pounds heavier than you. The boots were dead already, and were never really strong enough. They lasted about five hours of on-ice time, if that. I learned my mistake very quickly.

When I returned to skating last year, I started with Jackson Freestyle, the lowest level of boot worth considering as a beginner boot (though you've been told Jackson isn't a great shape for your foot, so just take it as a stiffness level more than a suggestion). I'm already in stiffer boots again. The Jacksons were poorly fit (too loose) and causing me repetitive strain injury, plus I could see early signs of them breaking down, so I moved up since I would absolutely need to soon anyway.

I hear that you're limited by your parents' preconceived notions. Why not allow them to read these forums and become educated in these things? It could be a start toward getting on the same page.

Another way to look at all of this is that it is building skills. No, it's not strictly academic, but many of the skills transfer to academics and to later life. You will be learning body awareness, determination, humility, resiliency, pattern recognition, analytical thinking as you try to match what you feel to what you see, and attention to detail.

I am worried for you, and hope you don't get injured before you get new boots.

Last edited:

lilimum

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Don*t let encourage you and enjoy your first lessons. Normally coaches have a look on the equipment and will let you know if there are exercises that you shouldn't do with your boots. My daughter started also with a cheap boot&blade set (I don*t remember the brand) than changed to Jackson Freestyle, learned all doubles in that boot. Then she changed to Risport RF3 and now RF1 to jump triples. I spend now more for the blade than for the boot, around 1.000 € the set (seems like figure skating shoes are much cheaper in Europe than in North America). I don't know anybody spending 2.000 € for some skates. Biggest problem is the availability of equipment. We had to wait 8 weeks for new boots.
And please tell your father that figure skating is the perfect sport to support an academic career -
you have to repeat everything one million times, you have to analyize each detail to get a good result, you have to stand up immediatley after fall, you are alone in front of the judges. All this abilities are very helpfull in "real" life.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
OP, want to encourage you to get as much money as possible and buy the proper skates and you may have to return the current ones if you haven't worn them and not take lessons until you can be in a proper boot to support you.

In general, I just want to point out that not all coaches (esp learn to skate ones) will point out that you don't have the proper equipment. Many are completely clueless to what skaters need, esp older ones.

Good luck!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm a bit confused about your answer. You say "I doubt my mum would let me spend any more money as of now or later". But you also talk about saving up cash and (in your Post #13) having more money during the summer (summer job, I assume). So if you indeed are planning to have money of your own this summer, you'd be much better off returning the skates and asking your mother to let you use the refund towards your future purchase. Unfortunately, prices for figure skates have skyrocketed since the pandemic.