Is Alissa the One!! | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Is Alissa the One!!

Layfan

Record Breaker
It's hard to imagine looks don't help in a glamor sport like figure skating. But if Alissa were ugly she would still have gorgeous spins and beautiful lines in her spirals. That's what truly makes her skating pretty.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think Frank Carol has something up his sleeve for Mirai though. He seems very proud of her no matter how she skates this season. I wonder if Mirai will show up to nationals doing a different program or a triple-triple or something cool that will give her an edge. Just a thought. I'm serious about Frank though

I would love to Mirai skate well and win nationals again, but skating well at nationals does not = skating well at the olympics. The international judges just aren't buying her skating and if winds up on the team, and skates the same way at the olympics as she did at nationals (where she hypothetically won) she could find herself down in 11th place.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I would love to Mirai skate well and win nationals again, but skating well at nationals does not = skating well at the olympics. The international judges just aren't buying her skating and if winds up on the team, and skates the same way at the olympics as she did at nationals (where she hypothetically won) she could find herself down in 11th place.

I don't think so, the top 15 at worlds last year was this:

1. Yu-Na KIM

2. Joannie ROCHETTE

3. Miki ANDO

4. Mao ASADA

5. Rachael FLATT

6. Laura LEPISTÖ

7. Alena LEONOVA

8. Fumie SUGURI

9. Sarah MEIER

10. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI

11. Alissa CZISNY

12. Carolina KOSTNER

13. Susanna PÖYKIÖ

14. Ivana REITMAYEROVA

15. Cynthia PHANEUF

Rachael had her 3-3 downgraded to a 3-1, Alissa was only in 11th because she bombed the short and had 3 URs in the long, Carolina landed 1 triple in her long, at least technically I'd say Mirai has an edge over Laura, Alena, Fumie, and Elene. Poykio and Phanuef are nothing special, I've never even heard of the 14th place finisher. Based on last years worlds, I'd predict Mirai would end up somewhere between 5th and 10th, and probably closer to 5th than 10th

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nope, I don't think so. Mirai has a real problem with URs, and when she concentrates on rotating her jumps, her PCS doesn't go up with her TES.

In the CoC FS, she got PCS 51.28, but had 5 URs and scored only 93.18.

At SC, she had two URs (and two flutz "e"s) and scored 100.49, but her PCS was 51.69, not much better than what she got at CoC for a messier skate.

Mirai's Skate Canada performances and total score of 156.83 would have placed her 12th at 2009 Worlds, right behind Alissa Czisny.

Apparently ISU judges aren't as impressed with Mirai as USFS judges are.

janetfan

Match Penalty

ISU judges scored Mirai well at Jr Worlds two years ago and since she medaled I guess they liked her..

This season she has been adjusting to her growth spurt and a new coach.

Mirai received one of the best SP scores this season from ISU judges. When she skates well they like her.

USFS judges will see Mirai in January and if she skates well then they will like her. If she skates poorly they won't like her.

It is not a difficult concept to grasp. Good skating is well received and bad skating is not. :)

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Nope, I don't think so. Mirai has a real problem with URs, and when she concentrates on rotating her jumps, her PCS doesn't go up with her TES.

In the CoC FS, she got PCS 51.28, but had 5 URs and scored only 93.18.

At SC, she had two URs (and two flutz "e"s) and scored 100.49, but her PCS was 51.69, not much better than what she got at CoC for a messier skate.

Mirai's Skate Canada performances and total score of 156.83 would have placed her 12th at 2009 Worlds, right behind Alissa Czisny.

All the scores at worlds though were higher than they usually are. Rachael's score there was 2 points lower than her score at SA, and she did a lot better at SA. Alissa bombed her short and had her usual long and got 158, which is what she got at COR with much better skates and only a few points lower than what she got at SC where she did very well. Lepisto scored a 170 and only did 4 triples , Elene has been scoring in the 140s this grand prix season and got a 162 without skating much differently than she has this season. Scores tend to go up from the GP season, and at worlds last year they seem very high.

You should not look at scores so much but how two skaters compare. I would say Mirai is definitely better than a lot of the ladies finishing 5th through 10th

R.D.

Record Breaker
All the scores at worlds though were higher than they usually are. Rachael's score there was 2 points lower than her score at SA, and she did a lot better at SA. Alissa bombed her short and had her usual long and got 158, which is what she got at COR with much better skates and only a few points lower than what she got at SC where she did very well. Lepisto scored a 170 and only did 4 triples , Elene has been scoring in the 140s this grand prix season and got a 162 without skating much differently than she has this season. Scores tend to go up from the GP season, and at worlds last year they seem very high.

You should not look at scores so much but how two skaters compare. I would say Mirai is definitely better than a lot of the ladies finishing 5th through 10th

Interesting. Does one think the scores at Olys will be lower than usual, to give the impression of an "even playing field"?

And as for Mirai, nice on paper but she must skate that way.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Interesting. Does one think the scores at Olys will be lower than usual, to give the impression of an "even playing field"?

And as for Mirai, nice on paper but she must skate that way.

I tend to think scores at the Olympics will be higher too. They always just seem to get higher as the season goes on. If they do get higher though, I wonder what Yuna's scores will be? 250? :chorus: She'll probably deserve it she's the only one who delivers