Is Ladies Skating Becoming Too Femme? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is Ladies Skating Becoming Too Femme?

noidont

Final Flight
Initially I thought talking about "female figure skating being too feminine" is another one of those reverse identity politics shtick that tries to victimize everyone but the nouveau cool - the genderly neutrals, or basically just victimize the unquestionably pretty women with slim figures. To put it in a concise way: the Alena Leonovas forcing a war with the Mao Asadas, one that they could not really win.

But then I was watching Mae Berenice Meite's SA performances and thought she was pretty interesting and was very lowballed in PCS for not doing "normal" feminine dances like the others.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
But then I was watching Mae Berenice Meite's SA performances and thought she was pretty interesting and was very lowballed in PCS for not doing "normal" feminine dances like the others.

It is interesting to watch her, but I think it is important to note that even if a skater chooses not to be overly feminine, it is not an excuse to ignore body line and refinement. Tonya and Midori were pretty good at finishing their moves and extending their free leg, so although they were more powerful, they still paid attention to the quality of their movement. Meite still has to work on these things.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Not just line and refinement, but edge quality needs to be paid attention to. Ito and Harding both had excellent edge quality to go with their powerful styles, Bonaly not so much. Meite is improving in this area, but still has a ways to go.

karlowens2

On the Ice
Cohen is a yes

This is an interesting question. I am trying to get a grip on what "femme" means exactly. Mao Asada and Sasha Cohen are two tough cookies who were/are successful doing graceful. Cute-as-a-button Irina Slutskaya took no prisoners. Gracie Gold? -- ditch the pink dress, you'll be fine. ;)

I think Cohen WAS naturally a balletic skater with a legitimate sense of the form. She could use it to show feminine power, joy, longing - just a great ballerina can. She was the real deal. God, I miss her.

karlowens2

On the Ice
Several posts seem to equate balletic style with artistic. When the skating is just mimicking ballet it doesn´t read artistic to me. Artistic to me is finding the connection between the music and the movement. If you don´t have that no amount of coaching is going to make your skating artistic.

RABID

Final Flight
I don't see this feminine thing discussed here. Whenever I see top level female athletes in any sport the last thing that I am thinking about is how feminine they are being. For me I see all female athletes in action as representing something primal and distinct in their physical abilities. I might find their performance sexy, flirty, sensuous and a number of other things but never feminine. The usage of such a word to describe an action seems as incongruous to me as using the word gentlemanly when describing a male athlete in action. :)