Is Mirai the One? | Golden Skate

Is Mirai the One?

To me she's clearly the top talent in US ladies' skating and the one audiences can fall in love with. But she's not made of iron and is struggling with the pressures. It sounds like Carroll is a great coach for her.

She's very unlikely to make the podium at these Olympics, although I'd dance for joy if she did, but, without the pressure to medal, she might surprise us with top 5 or 7. And watch out, Sochi!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2009-11-17-1897253355_x.htm

Wicked

Final Flight
Mirai is definitely the US lady who I find most interesting to watch. The other ladies are talented but just don't grab me like she does.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Mirai is definitely the US lady who I find most interesting to watch. The other ladies are talented but just don't grab me like she does.

I am starting to feel the same way about Mirai.
But considering the 1300 posts over at Caroline's thread it seems Mirai does not inspire the same amount of support (or detractors) that Caroline does.

That may change after this weekend at SC or by Natls.

Go Mirai, and Caroline too!

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
:rofl: this is comical- so every American lady is getting her own "Is she the one" thread? :chorus:

Anyway, this one is simple- if she fixes her jumps, yes. COC proved that she can score in the 60s with a solid SP, making her competitive with just about every top skater except for Yuna Kim...at least through the SP. But she'll keep getting hammered in the FS with those jumps. Maybe in another couple of years.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I love Mirai :), and the judges seem to prefer her to Caroline. She is much faster and has better jumping technique, while being equally flexible and artistic. I think Mirai's jumping problems are due to her growing so much so fast....she grew 4 inches from nats 07 to nats 08, then another four from nats 08 to nats 09. She'll be 17 in the spring and is 5'4" now, I doubt she'll be getting a lot taller, if at all. Her UR calls will probably just continue to get better as time goes on, and from what I saw in China she IS capable of rotating them fully. I hope she does well this weekend and makes it to the Olympics! She's still young though and I'm sure her skating will just get better now that she's through with the tricky growing years

kalle

On the Ice
For me, she is the one :clap:

I think she has all the qualities needed to match Yuna and the other top ladies.It is only a matter if she has the mentality to stay focused and work and work until her jumps are rock solid..
Then she can go back and concentrate on more complex programs as she really seems to be quite musical and like to perform in front of an audience.
For me, she is fresh and I like so many things about her especially her posture and the way she has started to use her arms and hands.

I hope she will be able to look forward and do another good SP at SC along with a stronger LP.I have faith in Carroll, I just hope it is not too late to improve her jumps..

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't think it is. She gets a lot of spring in her jumps so her height is good, she just needs to learn to rotate faster. I doubt her body build will change much either at this point. I also think it's cute how she's like a normal teenager instead of some diva or robot or perfect child. The articles about her teenage angst make me giggle :laugh: . Caroline is cute too but Mirai's skating I find much more pleasant to watch.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Oh, I think Neo is the one. But I skipped the last Matrix film, so I could be wrong :p.

Seriously, though, am I the only one who finds the multiple threads discussing whether this US lady is "the one" or whether that one is "the one" a bit over the top? The one what? The one with a chance to win the OGM (not likely)? To win over the American public? To be the next MK (not likely either)? To hire thugs to whack someone's knee, thus ensuring tabloid interest and higher ratings? Maybe none of them is the so called one. Maybe they're all what they seem to be: good but not great skaters.

At the very least, can these threads be combined into a single "which US lady is the best/has the most potential/could win more than one national title" thread?

ETA: Just remembered something.

Last edited:

cornell08

Final Flight
To be honest, I think the current crop of skaters-- Mirai, Caroline, Ashley, Rachael-- are too old to be 'the One' (at least, the One, in a Yuna/Kwan/Cohen-esque way). I think its up to Christina Gao, Nina Jiang, or Yasmin...or perhaps a skater yet to emerge.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Or people could just post in threads they approve of and ignore the rest. :)

You keep coming up with these unique and original ideas Spun. :yes: :agree: :)

I wonder if it will take Mirai the entire season to get her ur's fixed up, or atleast good enough to keep her in a competition?

If so by next year I think she would be ready to reclaim her US title.

I think it has also helped Mirai to stop the "coaching by committee" situation from last season and having Evan and Carolina around as role models seems to have helped her attitude.
Both will probably be gone next season and Mirai will probably be the top dog at the Toyota center.:yes:

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
To be honest, I think the current crop of skaters-- Mirai, Caroline, Ashley, Rachael-- are too old to be 'the One' (at least, the One, in a Yuna/Kwan/Cohen-esque way). I think its up to Christina Gao, Nina Jiang, or Yasmin...or perhaps a skater yet to emerge.

Agnes Z - she has emerged with the best scores so far of any Junior lady (SW Regionals) and has done well in Juv, Int, and Nov

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Mirai certanly has the star quality that none of the others really seem to have, but she is not "the one" for this year. Even if the usfsa judges let her get Away with underroation the Olympic judges won't. I do t know if she can ever live up to her potential and fully rotate a whole freeskate with a triple triple but I think that if she ever will frank Carroll is the man who can do it for her. Yes, it will be interesting to see if she improves as we approach Sochi

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Oh, I think Neo is the one. But I skipped the last Matrix film, so I could be wrong :p.

Seriously, though, am I the only one who finds the multiple threads discussing whether this US lady is "the one" or whether that one is "the one" a bit over the top?

Oh - stop being cranky...

To me she's clearly the top talent in US ladies' skating and the one audiences can fall in love with. But she's not made of iron and is struggling with the pressures. It sounds like Carroll is a great coach for her.

She's very unlikely to make the podium at these Olympics, although I'd dance for joy if she did, but, without the pressure to medal, she might surprise us with top 5 or 7. And watch out, Sochi!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2009-11-17-1897253355_x.htm

I absolutely agree with this... If she stays healthy, I believe she's the Next Big Star of American skating... I love this young lady - so much carisma and charm... but she's gonna have to be outstanding at Nationals and then build from there... which isn't a bad position... espcially if she doesn't make the olympic team, has an outstanding showing at 4CC and then we'll see...

Or people could just post in threads they approve of and ignore the rest. :)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

janetfan

Match Penalty
:rofl: this is comical- so every American lady is getting her own "Is she the one" thread? :chorus:

Anyway, this one is simple- if she fixes her jumps, yes. COC proved that she can score in the 60s with a solid SP, making her competitive with just about every top skater except for Yuna Kim...at least through the SP. But she'll keep getting hammered in the FS with those jumps. Maybe in another couple of years.

Maybe we should also include threads for some of the promising Jr Ladies who will be emerging next season. :biggrin:

I guess it is odd for some to realize how many skater's we have and how wide open the two spots for Vancouver appear to be.

Of course we could also start B/A and D/W threads as wel as Evan, Jeremy, Brandon, Ryan, Adam, etc, etc...:laugh:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think it's cute that Mirai has a bit of a temper, but I think it's also good that she got kicked out whenever this was written. She wants to work hard, and Frank knows that and is making her do that by not putting up with her nonsense. The two actually seem to get along well. I hope she skates well this weekend! I know she can do it :biggrin:

skfan

Final Flight
Maybe we should also include threads for some of the promising Jr Ladies who will be emerging next season. :biggrin:

yes, let's. start one for kristine musademba :love:, and i'll be the first to reply :rock:

but back to mirai. she's the one for me. the one with speed, flow, yeonah-esque physique, good spins, bobek-ian charm. if she can overcome the URs, then she'll be up there for sure.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Mirai sounds a bit too hard on herself. How could not taking a break from skating when the ankle needed it be "running away from everything" and not doing what she was supposed to be doing.