Is Sasha's Road to Torino Paved with Easy Gold? or ... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Is Sasha's Road to Torino Paved with Easy Gold? or ...

Originally posted by Vash01
BTW I did not say much about Biatrisa Liang in my post. I added her name later. I just forgot about her (how could I?). She could give Sasha a run for her money, if she stays healthy. She has already had injury problems. I would hate to see her go the way of NNN. Vash [/B]

Vash -With all due respect to Jenny, AP, Ye Bin, etc., I am hoping Bebe gets the 3rd spot on the american team. She does have iinjuries though.

BYW, I see similar styles between Sasha and Bebe.

Joe

Jhar55

Medalist
Think it's too early to tell anything could happen to any of the top skaters, injuries, burn out, ect. And if all the presure off MK she just might sneek in there and get her gold.

Jhar55 said:
Think it's too early to tell anything could happen to any of the top skaters, injuries, burn out, ect. And if all the presure off MK she just might sneek in there and get her gold.
-

HI Jhar - While I think MK is enjoying the 'not leding contender' postition in the skating world today (Sasha and Shizuka) reaching for the lead, I think MK shouled be considering doing the rounds right now. There are 2004 and 2005 GPs. Since she is not expected to win any of these, it would be great opportunity for her to take some technical risks.

One can be sure that Sasha and Shizuka will be entering every competition leading to the Torino Oly. Winning these competitions will be important for Sasha and Shizuka. It doesn't have to be that important with MK. Mk needs the practice of risky jumps in front of judges and audience. Let's see what the mysterious one does at the upcoming GPs if she does enter them.

Joe

Lucy25

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
-
One can be sure that Sasha and Shizuka will be entering every competition leading to the Torino Oly. Winning these competitions will be important for Sasha and Shizuka.
Joe
Don't know about that. Sasha has said that she will be cutting back her schedule because she did too much last year. I am not expecting her to do three GPs this year.

Vash01

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Vash -With all due respect to Jenny, AP, Ye Bin, etc., I am hoping Bebe gets the 3rd spot on the american team. She does have iinjuries though.

BYW, I see similar styles between Sasha and Bebe.

Joe

Joe,

Bebe has the extensions to match (almost) Sasha's and she is young and exciting. She has not found the consistency yet- skating two clean programs even in lesser competitions. I can see her beating Jenny and AP but Ye Bin can be very good too. Unfortunately both Bebe and Ye Bin have had injuries. That really slows down their development. Bebe is a fighter- she has skated with injuries and not backed off. Let us see how she does next season.

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
Jhar55 said:

I really hope you are right. If Michelle is on the US team at Turin, I will be rooting for her to win it all.

Vash

The similarities I see between Sasha and Bebe go beyond the extensions. bebe, like Sasha, attacks every element (trick) in her routine I don't mind that approach to figure skating. I do expect perfection with that style and in Bebe's case there is the problem of injury.

The other ladies on the list, I like too, but they are so iffy at the moment for 3rd place. Let's wait and check out the Gps this year.

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
BeBe didn't withdraw from Nationals, she finished 7th in both SP and FS. It was Ye Bin Mok who withdrew after finishing 17th in the SP. She had a back injury. Ye Bin also had surgery recently for a cyst on her foot.

BeBe has had nagging pain in her hip that doctors have ascribed to growth. They said she would outgrow it, so let's hope they're right.

Pau-goodle76

Rinkside
Well I hope BeBe will be okay. I don't think Sasha is going to have it easy trying to get that OGM. There 'sho is alot of skaters wanting the same thing so they are not just going to let her have it and they'll settle for the silver or bronze.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
euterpe said:
BeBe didn't withdraw from Nationals, she finished 7th in both SP and FS. It was Ye Bin Mok who withdrew after finishing 17th in the SP. She had a back injury. Ye Bin also had surgery recently for a cyst on her foot.

BeBe has had nagging pain in her hip that doctors have ascribed to growth. They said she would outgrow it, so let's hope they're right.

Thanks for the clarification!!! I get those two confused a lot.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Joe..........I always saw similarities between Bebe and Michelle.....42

Show - there are moments of lyricism in Bebe's skating but I do think when it comes to extensions (and she does have them) she wants to show them off from the rest of the routine. Nothing wrong with that. It gets good points from the judges, but for me, it loses some lyricism. Just my take on Bebe.

Joe

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Show - there are moments of lyricism in Bebe's skating but I do think when it comes to extensions (and she does have them) she wants to show them off from the rest of the routine. Nothing wrong with that. It gets good points from the judges, but for me, it loses some lyricism. Just my take on Bebe.

Joe

Actually that has been my complaint about Sasha.

Vash

shine

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Joe
I agree with Joe that Bebe and Sasha share a similarity in style in that they like to attack every element that they do and try to do it to the fullest. They both have this "ta-da" way of performing. Bebe is still a lot less polished at this point; she has a very athletic look (as opposed to Cohen's classical look), and has a raw quality to her skating that I find very refreshing. She's not exactly one of my favs but I absolutely loved her Carmen SP from this season- it's such an over used piece, but she made it look SO energetic, and it's brilliantly choreographed, not cliche-ish at all. I think we will see many interesting programs from her in the future, she might just become the first successful non-ice princess US skater to have come in a long time.

lise

On the Ice
In 2 years a lot of things could change. I have no doubt that Rochette will be leading the Cdn ladies; but watch out for Mira Leung-once she gets more power to her skating, she'll be a force to reckon with. She's 14 and she completely blew me away at Nats this year.

I don't think the road for gold is easy for anyone-it all depends on how everyone skates. I am looking to it because I think it will be quite a night of greaty performances!! So although Kwan, Cohen will probably be the headliners, there are a number of skaters that can win the gold. It's not going to be predicable that's for sure!!

Lise