Is Terry getting paid to mention Yagudin whenever possible? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is Terry getting paid to mention Yagudin whenever possible?

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Joesitz said:

Dee - Btw, Alexie didn't go Pro. He's been a Pro (earning money) for years. What he did was give up his eligible competitive skating.

Joe

:confused:

AFAIK, there are two different status in a career of a figure skater, regardless of how much money they make. Very generically, they are eligible if they compete in ISU events and they are professional when they are no longer under their federations rules and ISU rules. Hence, one cannot be pro and amateur at the same time. Either you compete in ISU events, either you don't. (there seem to be ways of work arounf the rules, but this seems to me the general rule)

So what do you exactly mean when you say the only thing Yagudin did was give up on eligible skating? You're not seriously saying a skater can have both status are you? Sorry, your post really confused me LOL

anya_angie

Final Flight
ack was quoting someone but somehow I quoted the wrong person LOL sorry.

I personally am not easily bugged, I was just making a tiny joke!

Just to set the record straight I have always loved Terry's commentary, I think he's marvelous. I just would have preferred to hear his opinion on Plushenko's spin than Yags' footwork, considering that is what was being shown at the moment. Wouldn't it have been better if he had waited? Well, on second thought, it's a 2:40 program. And with Dick I don't think he could have gotten much in. But I don't know!

Last edited:
Hi RIskatingfan - I am confused as you are:confused: in this world of pro skating.

It seemed to me that Alexei was doing a number of skating exhibitions and getting paid for them. At the same time he came under the Russian Federation as an eligible competitive skater.

Now he is no longer going to skate as an eligible competitor but he will continue (I presume) to skate in a number of skating exhibitions and get paid for them.

It seems to me that he just gave up his status as an eligible competitive skater and will continue skating as he has before.

The phrase 'going pro' doesn't make as much sense, for me, as 'giving up eligible competitive skating' does.:rolleye: It seems Yagudin will be skating as in the past and maybe more but he will not be in eligible competitve skating.

Joe

Last edited:

bestskate8

On the Ice
Well, tell you what, I am Plushy fan, and when I watch his programs I just don't want to hear Yags name. Is anything wrong with that? I keep my tapes for many years and you want to enjoy them not to be mad at the commentator:D
Yags apperance at SC was stupid itself, he took 30 min air time from CTV and when Zhenya skates I have to hear about Yags again.:\
CTV could show us three fluff peaces 10 min each on Sasha, Shen/Zao and Zgenya who deserves it, but they insted used it on Yags:rolleye: Doesn't make any sense at all.

FrozenHeart

Rinkside
bestskate8 said:
Well, tell you what, I am Plushy fan, and when I watch his programs I just don't want to hear Yags name. Is anything wrong with that? I keep my tapes for many years and you want to enjoy them not to be mad at the commentator:D

And I tell you what, I´m a Yags fan and I´m totally at ease with all commentators who mention Plush when he skates. Why do most Plush fans seem to be so intolerant towards Yags? Please explain.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I personally would wish the commentators concentrating on whoever skater is performing at that moment... The less they speak during the performance, the better I enjoy of watching.

windspirit said:
Btw, Yagudin hasn't invented footwork (more like reinvented), but he certainly made it much more popular and important an element that it was before. That's why it's associated with his name.

I would say that Yagudin (or actually Morosov) did not even reinvent it. That was Candeloro´s D´Artagnan in 1997-1998 season which made the audiences so enthusiastic while watching a showy footwork, in my opinion.

Marjaana

Last edited:

Germanice

On the Ice
bestskate8 said:
Yags apperance at SC was stupid itself, he took 30 min air time from CTV and when Zhenya skates I have to hear about Yags again.:\
CTV could show us three fluff peaces 10 min each on Sasha, Shen/Zao and Zgenya who deserves it, but they insted used it on Yags:rolleye: Doesn't make any sense at all.
Do I sense a little envy here?
Would you prefer Gannon talkin' about Dinev while Plush skates?
Never mind, just let Plush win two further World titles and an Olympic Gold,
after that we'll meet again, OK? ;)

Anke

PS: Yeah, CTV, give (fluff) peace(s) a chance!!! :laugh:

Last edited:

FrozenHeart

Rinkside
Jaana said:
I personally would wish the commentators concentrating on whoever skater is performing at that moment... The less they speak during the performance, the better I enjoy of watching.

Marjaana

Then buy the CD of the music, turn off the TV loudspeakers and enjoy yourself.:D

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
FrozenHeart said:
Then buy the CD of the music, turn off the TV loudspeakers and enjoy yourself.:D

ROTFL, unfortunately matters are not quite that simple... The skaters are using music cuts.

Marjaana

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
LOL, I was not quite sure as one never knows... Especially considering that this thread has otherwise been of more or less rather sensible discussion.

Marjaana

FrozenHeart

Rinkside
Jaana said:
LOL, I was not quite sure as one never knows... Especially considering that this thread has otherwise been of more or less rather sensible discussion.

Marjaana

And we should leave it like that. My apologies for not being that clear in my statement. ;)

FrozenHeart

Rinkside
Jaana said:
Marjaana

In my view it depends on the commentator and how he does his job. The German ones are terribly boring, but I´m always enjoying myself with British Eurosport. Wouldn´t go without their comments. :love:

windspirit

On the Ice
Jaana said:
I do, too. One of the reasons I like watching live skating so much. But from time to time, I do like to listen to what Dick or whoever has to say. Only if they talked less.

I would say that Yagudin (or actually Morosov) did not even reinvent it. That was Candeloro´s D´Artagnan in 1997-1998 season which made the audiences so enthusiastic while watching a showy footwork, in my opinion.
Maybe Candeloro reinvented it, and Yags made it more popular/more important an element. That I think he did. But to tell you the truth, I don't really care whose name it's being associated with.

bestskate8 said:
"Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!" ;) I'm sorry, but I've always been curious: do you people realize at all that it's in your power to change it if something bothers you? And in all that excitement you didn't even noticed that you spoiled the results.

Myself I wish they wouldn't talk about anyone else than the person who's skating. A little less conversation, a little more action please... http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/windspirit6/sm/yeah.gif

berthes ghost

Final Flight
CTV could show us three fluff peaces 10 min each on Sasha, Shen/Zao and Zgenya who deserves it, but they insted used it on Yags

And you call other's decisions "stupid"?

Like him or not, the man is one of the greats of skating and you would rather ignore his announcement of retirement just to show fluff pieces on three competitors who need more fluff peices like they need holes in the head. At this point, I'm wondering if there is anything I don't know about Sasha!

Sorry, but that would be really bad journalism. Talk about letting your personal feelings ruin your judgment.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, tell you what, I am Plushy fan, and when I watch his programs I just don't want to hear Yags name. Is anything wrong with that?
Bestskate8, I am happy for you that you are a Plushenko fan but this is going to happen when other skaters are compared to Evgeni. So how are we supposed to handle that then??? Just curious as to what your answer will be.

Dee

anya_angie

Final Flight
I always thought whatever is possible in dance, is possible in skating. Sasha Abt and Yagudin proved that even Riverdance is possible (I haven't seen D'Artagnan in a long time, but I do have the tape of the CBS highlights where they show him disco dancing to "Stayin Alive" in his D'Artagnan costume cause they got the wrong music LOL).

I do know how it can work both ways. During Li's performances a lot last year they compared him to Plushenko. It didn't really get on my nerves though, because in many cases Plushenko had just skated or was still to come. Well, everyone can be compared to Plushenko and Yagudin, because these two are the best. No one comes close. Tim has 3 quads, but jump, jump, jump and a hydroblade or two do not an artist make. No one really in the field now has the art that Zhenya has. I can't wait to see his tribute to Nijinsky in competition. And was it my imagination or at the 98 Olympics did they compare Yagudin to Kulik? LOL I LOVE Kulik.

You know, sometimes I watch things without commentary, muting all sound, and it helps me to enjoy the skating even more. You lose the music, but in the case of GPF 01-02, I didn't miss the commentary at all. I watched it with my aunt, showed her Plushenko's and Yagudin's programs, with muted sound on both, and guess whose program she thought should have won. NOT Lyosha. lol. I also watched 99 GPF with her, Sasha Abt's program. Well I wasn't paying attention because I was writing, as usual, but I heard Dick say "You know considering the depth in dance that these people have, I'm appalled at his use of choreography" and my aunt couldn't believe he had the nerve to say that. She turned to me and asked, "Can they (the skaters) HEAR that?" I said, "Thankfully no, unless they watch the broadcast later."

windspirit

On the Ice
anya_angie said:
During Li's performances a lot last year they compared him to Plushenko. It didn't really get on my nerves though, because in many cases Plushenko had just skated or was still to come. Well, everyone can be compared to Plushenko and Yagudin, because these two are the best. No one comes close. Tim has 3 quads, but jump, jump, jump and a hydroblade or two do not an artist make. No one really in the field now has the art that Zhenya has. I can't wait to see his tribute to Nijinsky in competition. And was it my imagination or at the 98 Olympics did they compare Yagudin to Kulik? LOL I LOVE Kulik.

You know, sometimes I watch things without commentary, muting all sound, and it helps me to enjoy the skating even more. You lose the music, but in the case of GPF 01-02, I didn't miss the commentary at all. I watched it with my aunt, showed her Plushenko's and Yagudin's programs, with muted sound on both, and guess whose program she thought should have won. NOT Lyosha. lol.
So it's just the old "everyone but Yagudin (or whoever)", after all. http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/windspirit6/sm/boring.gif