Is the Risport Electra Light a good beginner boot? | Golden Skate

Is the Risport Electra Light a good beginner boot?

mooncheese

Spectator
Hello! I'm a beginner skater and am looking into getting new skates. The reason for that is because I got my Jackson Artiste skates second hand and as I later found out, they are a size too small (which has been causing me a lot of pain while skating, especially in the area of my arches). I can skate forwards and backward, do forward inside and outside edges, I can do forward crossovers and am working on my backward crossovers as well as inside three turns and have just been taught the waltz jump.

I was looking into getting the Jackson Freestyles but I contacted a virtual fitter and they suggested I try the Risport Electra Light with Ultima Legacy 8 blades as they have good arch support and are for wide feet. I want to continue skating and my main concern is that I need a skate that will hopefully take me through my single jumps before I have to replace them. I have heard that the Jackson Freestyle breaks down quite quickly, however, I'm not sure about the Risport Electra. I want to start skating around 3 hours per week but another worry that I have is that by the time I get to my single jumps, the skate will lose most of its support. I can't really afford another pair if they break down really quickly and am only getting these skates because I can't keep skating with the pain. So I need something that will take me through my current level as well as single jumps whilst keeping the support. Can anyone with experience tell me how long it takes for the Risport Electra to break down?

I have also read that virtual fittings aren't the best in terms of accuracy but I don't have another choice because there aren't any pro shops near me. There is one but they only sell beginner models of Jackson skates. In my current Artiste pair, the pain starts after about 10 minutes of skating on ice, so if I order skates that have been fitted online, I will have to skate in them first to see if they fit but that goes against the return policy of the shop. I really need advice on what I should do in this situation, especially because the shop has stopped replying to me.

I also asked the virtual fitter that I am assigned to if the Jackson Freestyle would suit my feet (I have flat feet and they are also wide), and they said that the widths R and W are definitely not for my feet and that the Risport toe box is wide but not as wide as the Jackson Freestyles. I am 16 years old, I weigh around 60kgs and am 163cm tall. I really don't know what to do as I haven't been given any detailed information about anything and there is no one I can ask. I really hope someone can help explain this to me, thank you!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello! I'm a beginner skater and am looking into getting new skates. The reason for that is because I got my Jackson Artiste skates second hand and as I later found out, they are a size too small (which has been causing me a lot of pain while skating, especially in the area of my arches). I can skate forwards and backward, do forward inside and outside edges, I can do forward crossovers and am working on my backward crossovers as well as inside three turns and have just been taught the waltz jump.

I was looking into getting the Jackson Freestyles but I contacted a virtual fitter and they suggested I try the Risport Electra Light with Ultima Legacy 8 blades as they have good arch support and are for wide feet. I want to continue skating and my main concern is that I need a skate that will hopefully take me through my single jumps before I have to replace them. I have heard that the Jackson Freestyle breaks down quite quickly, however, I'm not sure about the Risport Electra. I want to start skating around 3 hours per week but another worry that I have is that by the time I get to my single jumps, the skate will lose most of its support. I can't really afford another pair if they break down really quickly and am only getting these skates because I can't keep skating with the pain. So I need something that will take me through my current level as well as single jumps whilst keeping the support. Can anyone with experience tell me how long it takes for the Risport Electra to break down?

I have also read that virtual fittings aren't the best in terms of accuracy but I don't have another choice because there aren't any pro shops near me. There is one but they only sell beginner models of Jackson skates. In my current Artiste pair, the pain starts after about 10 minutes of skating on ice, so if I order skates that have been fitted online, I will have to skate in them first to see if they fit but that goes against the return policy of the shop. I really need advice on what I should do in this situation, especially because the shop has stopped replying to me.

I also asked the virtual fitter that I am assigned to if the Jackson Freestyle would suit my feet (I have flat feet and they are also wide), and they said that the widths R and W are definitely not for my feet and that the Risport toe box is wide but not as wide as the Jackson Freestyles. I am 16 years old, I weigh around 60kgs and am 163cm tall. I really don't know what to do as I haven't been given any detailed information about anything and there is no one I can ask. I really hope someone can help explain this to me, thank you!
Hi and welcome! Where are you located as we could possibly suggest a fitter close to you. With the way your feet are (flat and wide) I wouldn't honestly put you in a Risport. Jackson all the way. There's a chance your foot could fit some Graf brand boots too.

mooncheese

Spectator
Hi and welcome! Where are you located as we could possibly suggest a fitter close to you. With the way your feet are (flat and wide) I wouldn't honestly put you in a Risport. Jackson all the way. There's a chance your foot could fit some Graf brand boots too.
I live in Canterbury, New Zealand and my local fitter put me in skates a size too small for me. I’ve also been told by others that Risport is for wide feet and has better arch support, unlike Jackson.

Elija

On the Ice
I live in Canterbury, New Zealand and my local fitter put me in skates a size too small for me. I’ve also been told by others that Risport is for wide feet and has better arch support, unlike Jackson.
I’m fairly sure who both the fitters you’re talking about are (and have been incorrectly fitted by both in the past), although I know that’s not much help! Sounds like your best bet would be to try the boots before you buy. I think when skaters edge do virtual fittings they do send you boots to try, so perhaps you could try and send them back if they’re not right. If it’s any help, I think they will also be at nationals in Dunedin shortly if you can make it down there, and maybe have a chat and get your feat measured in person.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If you don't have higher or mid arches, then Risport isn't going to be so great for you, I know b/c I wear them and have for years as a competitor/pro. I have very high arches and a wider toebox than heel. I've worn just about every boot and blade over years either throughout my career or being asked to test them. Also, different Risport styles fit different: RF3 Pro and Royal Pro are around the same stiffness/level but they fit very differently due to materials and design.

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
If you don't have higher or mid arches, then Risport isn't going to be so great for you, I know b/c I wear them and have for years as a competitor/pro. I have very high arches and a wider toebox than heel. I've worn just about every boot and blade over years either throughout my career or being asked to test them. Also, different Risport styles fit different: RF3 Pro and Royal Pro are around the same stiffness/level but they fit very differently due to materials and design.
When I bought new boots this year, I tried on both the Risport RF1 Elite and the RF3 Pro and bought the Elite because the fit at the top had a more comfortable feel for my ankle/leg shape. I had to wait while the shop ordered in the narrowest width (AAA? AA? I forget which they are now) since I have thin feet with very narrow heels, but yes, Risports are made for high arches and a foot that tapers a lot to the heel. Jacksons used to be like that, but I found they'd changed the design so I had to find a new brand after wearing Jacksons for so long.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
When I bought new boots this year, I tried on both the Risport RF1 Elite and the RF3 Pro and bought the Elite because the fit at the top had a more comfortable feel for my ankle/leg shape. I had to wait while the shop ordered in the narrowest width (AAA? AA? I forget which they are now) since I have thin feet with very narrow heels, but yes, Risports are made for high arches and a foot that tapers a lot to the heel. Jacksons used to be like that, but I found they'd changed the design so I had to find a new brand after wearing Jacksons for so long.
I find it interesting you were comparing RF1 and RF3 since they are different stiffness levels and usually the comparison is between RF3 and Royal Pro. I am glad that you found a great pair for you though! :)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I find it interesting you were comparing RF1 and RF3 since they are different stiffness levels and usually the comparison is between RF3 and Royal Pro. I am glad that you found a great pair for you though! :)
I've always worn boots stiffer than my technical level needed and am used to dealing with that. Originally it was because I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome that gives me overly loose joints and I needed the support in the ankles for landings. Then as a young adult I managed to smash up one ankle falling down some stairs in street shoes, away from the ice, and found I could skate normally a year sooner than I could walk normally because my stiff boots were like a plaster cast protecting the damaged ankle. I'm so used to that, I don't notice much difference when trying on new ones. I thought I could go a bit softer this time since I was supposedly moving into dance with an old friend who's an ex-pairs skater like me. However, the lure is too strong for both of us and if our dance coach is not there to rein us in, we're sneaking in the occasional throw Axel or a single twist lift or.....well, anything pairs-y that we should be old enough to know better than to do ;). The RF1s are working well for that, letting me land double jumps (low ones) without major mishap. Maybe it's just habit, or psychological support by now, and I don't really need that stiffness.

If my family find out I'm still doing pairs lifts and throws, though, I'm in for a intervention session! :slink: