Islamic Radical Takes Hostages in Sydney Cafe | Golden Skate

Islamic Radical Takes Hostages in Sydney Cafe

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This is quite frightening. Possibly two gunmen and 13 or more hostages. At least one hostage was shown forced to hold a flag with Arabic writing up to the window.

Social media panic probably not helping. All I can say is STOP TWEETING POLICE MOVEMENTS! These people DO read Twitter!

GF2445

Record Breaker
This is quite frightening. Possibly two gunmen and 13 or more hostages. At least one hostage was shown forced to hold a flag with Arabic writing up to the window.

The flag translates roughly to

"There is no God but Allah"
and
"Mohammad is the messenger of God"

This is what the ISIL wants. They might not necessarily have the means to expand geographically but just to hold these smaller attacks (and this is not small) in order for people to be frightened and scared. I called up ALL my family and friends who I know are working or in the city today. Thank goodness they are all safe.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The Prime Minister has said something we should all remember: not to let these people scare us out of being ourselves.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The Prime Minister has said something we should all remember: not to let these people scare us out of being ourselves.

I live in Manhattan. I know someone who died on 9/11. And not for one minute have I let the possibility of a terror attack change what I do. Because then they win. And frankly, people have a much better chance of dying in their bathrooms than in a terror attack. A little perspective can be a reassuring thing.

My prayers for a peaceful resolution of this.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Title might need to be amended as early news reports say that there is only one hostage taker.

GF2445

Record Breaker
It's been about 11 hours since the hostage situation began.

5 hostages have escaped the cafe- unharmed, yet extremely shaken

There are believed to be 1 gunmen and 15 hostages left.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The lights are now all out in the cafe.

I can't stay awake any longer, but I will sleep with all my thoughts in Sydney, in that cafe where one beautiful sunny day - much like this one - I had the most delicious afternoon tea of my life, in a beautiful cafe, with polite, wonderful staff.

May everyone come through this unharmed, and may our clever, excellent police get hold of this gunman alive...

GF2445

Record Breaker
The lights are now all out in the cafe.

I can't stay awake any longer, but I will sleep with all my thoughts in Sydney, in that cafe where one beautiful sunny day - much like this one - I had the most delicious afternoon tea of my life, in a beautiful cafe, with polite, wonderful staff.

May everyone come through this unharmed, and may our clever, excellent police get hold of this gunman alive...

That lindt cafe is great. I pass by it everyday to get to where i study.
Very good chocolate.

We have no idea whats happening. Its close to 11:30pm in Sydney so i wont be awake for much longer. If anyone reading this from the otherside of the world watches an jpdate on the event, please post here. Thanks

#i'llridewithyou #sydneysiege

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The police raided the cafe. They've been exposing this creep here on American TV and how he was sending letters to families of fallen soldiers from Iraq and Afghanastan. So sad.

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
People in Sydney are not meant to due at the hands of a man who brings and the terrorists got what they wanted. But they will lose the war and peace and the good will always triumph over evil.

There will be a deep investigation. Australia will never be the innocent safe country anymore. Blood has been taken because of the influence of the Islamic State. A place of pain, anarchy and cruelty.

Im going to be blunt. Screw you Islamic Statefor insighting absolute hate and ruining Australia today. Screw you for using the name of Allah to insight a travesty and bring a bad name to our honest people from thr Muslim community. We will beat you

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It sounds like the gunman started to nod off at about 2am-3am, and the hostages saw their chance. One of them managed to escape, and then the gunman woke and opened fire - exactly as I feared would happen. The second the police heard the shots they stormed in. One of the hostages was shot and it appears the other hostage who died had a heart attack. The gunman was also killed. One of the police officers was shot in the face but is apparently quite well and in good spirits. Four of the hostages were injured but everyone else is unharmed.

Now the police are doing their thing all over the cafe, making sure everything is sorted (and no bombs, though they haven't found any yet).

GF2445

Record Breaker
Sydney is in mourning now...but terrorists will never shake the Aussie spirit and will never divide our country. Always remember to tell your loved ones how much you care for them as life is incredibly fragile.

#celebratelife

Mia29

On the Ice
I dare not open another topic but currently in Paris, there are two hostages taking with Islamists.
Like a famous french song says: "the wolfs are in Paris" :no: I have no words
Edit : the last news are 5 hostages, perharps some children

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
There have been vigils for the Paris attacks at the same place where the sydney seige took place.
This has been a sad and fearful time in our time. But fear will never win.

Johar

Medalist
I live in Manhattan. I know someone who died on 9/11. And not for one minute have I let the possibility of a terror attack change what I do. Because then they win. And frankly, people have a much better chance of dying in their bathrooms than in a terror attack. A little perspective can be a reassuring thing.

My prayers for a peaceful resolution of this.

My older friend is convinced ISIS is going to pop up in America and kill thousands. She and her husband are buying guns for protection.