ISU Congress Updates | Golden Skate

ISU Congress Updates

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
FSU is reporting that the ISU Congress has passed a rule that there will be no more prelimiaries (QRs) at ISU Championships.

That doesn't surprise me much, as the plurality of the ISU federations are small countries that don't have top skaters. It has to rankle them that their skaters rarely make the main body of the competition.

For skating fans and especially judges, it means the SPs will be a nightmare.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
This will further marginalize the sport and reduce interest in figure skating in smaller federation countries.

I'm assuming this won't affect the budget for champers and lobster in the ISU lounge at Worlds though.

MagicFairy

On the Ice
This will probably mean that the ISU will raise the minimum score to compete at Worlds, which is much worse for smaller federations than a preliminary round, i cant believe the federations voted against the preliminary round, what were they thinking? Do they not want to send a skater to Worlds anymore?

Also someone on FSU posted that Canada wants to give back the 2013 Worlds after the proposal for eliminate the preliminaries passed, because it would be financial impossible to held the championships when all skaters do the short programs, which gives the ISU a top argument for raising the minimum score, so many skaters from small federations can be excluded from competing, and the numbers will be reduced. :(

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Also, Sonja Henie's facebook update stated that the ISU congress voted to push the elections back to 2016, which basically means Cinquanta and Dore will be around for another four years...

Only Canada and the US opposed the measure.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Also, Sonja Henie's facebook update stated that the ISU congress voted to push the elections back to 2016, which basically means Cinquanta and Dore will be around for another four years...

Europe certainly has the number of countries to have the political upper hand and to have many Senior B competitions for their skaters to earn points and standings. And the prizes are much bigger for the Euro than the 4CC to which many skaters have to travel half the world.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

wait, Sonja Henie has a facebook?!

seniorita

Record Breaker
wait, Sonja Henie has a facebook?!

Thats what I thought at first, and then I thought I have lost track the last few months of fs updates so I d better no ask.. Maybe she came back.

If the minimum score is not changed then I like that at least the weaker skaters will do their sp. As a fan i dont see it as a nightmare.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thats what I thought at first, and then I thought I have lost track the last few months of fs updates so I d better no ask.. Maybe she came back.

If the minimum score is not changed then I like that at least the weaker skaters will do their sp. As a fan i dont see it as a nightmare.

The problem is that new Senior skaters with lower ISU World Rankings will skate in the earlier groups, and even if they skate well, their scores will tend to be lower than if they did the exact same performance in a later group. That will tend to devaluate scores for skaters like Gracie Gold and Kaetlyn Osmond, and keep them in an earlier group for the FS as well.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I also was like isn't Henie dead? LOL

She was asked to come back by the Norwegian federation. She will at least beat the Canadian lady at worlds =P J/K

And Toni, that's not the only time I got in trouble with names. I'm "Facebook Friends" with both Oksanas (Grischuk and Baiul), and while they have mended the fence and become friends themselves (even visiting one another!), when I accidentally called Oksana Baiul, "Pasha," she kinda went off on me.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
She was asked to come back by the Norwegian federation. She will at least beat the Canadian lady at worlds =P J/K

And Toni, that's not the only time I got in trouble with names. I'm "Facebook Friends" with both Oksanas (Grischuk and Baiul), and while they have mended the fence and become friends themselves (even visiting one another!), when I accidentally called Oksana Baiul, "Pasha," she kinda went off on me.

so you're accident prone online like on real life... you need to live in a padded room without toys so you don't hurt yourself! LOL

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another rule passed: 15 is now the minimum age for all Senior events. So Julia Lipnitskaia will have to go back to the JGP.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Another rule passed: 15 is now the minimum age for all Senior events. So Julia Lipnitskaia will have to go back to the JGP.

Is she the only one who is affected this year? If that is the case, what a strange rule- keeps only one girl off the grand prix. Does she still have time to sign up for junior grand prix?