Mao Asada

Team Blue
Yuzuru Hanyu
Satoko Miyahara
Taichi Honda
Akiko Suzuki
Miki Ando
Daisuke Takahashi

What I found (on twitter) are Asada's 3F-3L and Hanyu's 3A~3A.
Despite lopsided lineups, looks like Team Red has won.

Broadcast on January 15th 16:05-17:20 (FujiTV)

mary01

Final Flight
I just saw Asada's 3f-3lo and it looked beautiful! glad that she is doing 3-3 in her programs again, which means that she will soon put in use in her compatitive programs!

periperi

On the Ice
Baw, I was skimming through the names and when I came across Taichi Honda I read it as Takeshi Honda and got all excited for half a second... I miss his skating...

I saw Mao's 3F-3Lo and I thought it looked good. I'm excited to see if she fits it into her competitive programs (short maybe?), it's just that it is such a difficult combo to get ratified.

Becki

Medalist
Baw, I was skimming through the names and when I came across Taichi Honda I read it as Takeshi Honda and got all excited for half a second... I miss his skating...

I saw Mao's 3F-3Lo and I thought it looked good. I'm excited to see if she fits it into her competitive programs (short maybe?), it's just that it is such a difficult combo to get ratified.

I thought Miki has already performed a 3F-3Lo in competition already..

FTnoona

Final Flight
I thought Miki has already performed a 3F-3Lo in competition already..

Mao has before too. That used to be the combo she would always do in her SP until the 2010 season when she put the 3A-2T into the SP. I think the previous poster meant that tech callers are getting more strict about under rotation calls so she may not get full credit for it.

I read off Mao's fansite that Dai fell three times in his program :(

Last edited:

Gee

Rinkside
Can somebody compare how Mao does her 3Lo combo and how Adelina does her?
Adelina gets absolutely no distance and looks really...uh...mustered through, but it gets really good height.
While Mao's combo is really easy to watch and is beautiful.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I just watched Mao's 3F/3R via the clip posted up above, and during slo-mo you can see that she UR her 3R by 1/2 (aka 180 degrees). Same thing happened to Adelina Sotnikova at Russian Nationals. And the same thing used to happen to Irina Slutskaya when she did the 3R as the second half of her combo., not to mention so many other women.

My question is has there been any one woman that could do a 3R (as the back half of a 3/3 combo.) without UR? If so, please post the link to it during competition. Thanks! :)

Final note: they should all take a page out of Yuna Kim, whom only did 3/3s that she could fully rotate. Though I concede if one can fully rotate her 3/3R at least 50% of the time during competition, then go for it, but if one has never been able to do so, or only once, then I would say "take it out". Jmho.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks, jenaj, it's obvious from the link you posted that Tara Lipinski is the 3R Queen, which I totally forgot because I was out of the country and serving in the Peace Corps when she rose to stardom. That link shows she had at least a 75% success rate, including the 1998 Olympics, therefore I'm not surprised that she had it in her programs. It served her well. :)

But other than Tara, I cannot think of any singles female skater now being able to do it without UR it on the second half of the 3/3R combo., including Miki. Btw, Gee, yes of course loop jumps are allowed to have 1/2 pre-rotation, that's a given, my beef is the UR, which COP is supposed to dock accordingly.

I say no lady skater skating today should put a 3R as the second half of their 3/3 combo., none of them can do it fully rotated, replace it with a 3T, just as Yuna Kim used to do. As long as they can fully rotate all their triple jumps, including their 3/3 combos., there should be no problem. But that's easier said than done, unless one has truly mastered all their triples, which COP is supposed to reward, and rightfully so imho.

ps: and I would loooooove to see Mao bring back her 3A, which she had a 70% success rate, give or take a few percentages, of fully rotating. :cool:

FTnoona

Final Flight
Come on! Mao has a history of landing 3-3l fully rotated, just look here 2008 WC Sp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz-AktwtDfs&feature=player_detailpage#t=37s
Nothing wrong with it at all, Tara and Miki arent the only ones:unsure:,
and from the one she just did in the challenge I think it was a nice attempt might be Ur but not downgrade, dont know if she's gonna attempt it these season but its a good step showing it again:thumbsup:

Totally. It's not like Mao never had a nice 3F-3L. When she was younger they looked really good. What amazed me most was that she actually got some distance on the second end of the jump instead of just going up. I would love to see her put the 3T as the backend of her 3F combo especially since it's looked so much better as the backend of her 2A combo. Before when she did 2A-3T or 3F-3T, I thought the 3Ts looked kinda strange like the takeoff looked weird but not exactly toe axel weird.

I can't wait for videos to pop up on youtube :D

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
As if Mao wouldn't probably have reasons why she adds the 3R rather than a 3T... not everyone has to be a Yuna Kim. As long as we don't know how her practice is going, that one attempt won't be enough to judge anyway. I'm just glad she used that event to try it again in front of a crowd, hope she'll manage to get it clean again.
And at the GPF she practiced the 3A again, I actually thought she'd try that again earlier than the 3-3, but I'm happy anyways :)

Sorry for Daisuke though... somewhere I read he fell two times, and another source said three times... but it probably doesn't matter that much, it's too many falls definitly :no:

And I was so excited about Hanyu doing that 3A~3A again, I just love watching that over and over~

Last edited:

daphna

On the Ice
good 3-3 for Mao. i hope she takes out the double axel-3 toe combo out of her free, it always looks nasty and she never really makes it.

mary01

Final Flight
good 3-3 for Mao. i hope she takes out the double axel-3 toe combo out of her free, it always looks nasty and she never really makes it.
what the hell? her 2A-3T is beautiful when she does the combination it has great height and ice coverage!
and if Mao is going to put her 3f-3l in the fs it's going to be instead the 3f-2l cause that way she wouldn't need to change her other jump content!

Bartek

On the Ice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO0W5A5IKug Here's a video with Mao's triple-triples. She started to get downgrades in 2007-2008 but still had some ratified combos that season. Then in 2008-2009 she really lost her consistency on her triple-triples. On the other hand, her 3F+3Lo's from 2006-2007 were in most cases wonderful.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxFjlJpi5MY Slutskaya landed several fully rotated ones with 3Lo as the second half.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUcZWY_uB6w Here Miki Ando landed a lot of ratified ones but at the beginning of 2008-2009 she started to get them downgraded and this discouraged her from trying them.

Lipinski was already mentioned. Most of her triple-triples were fully rotated which for me is unbelievable considering her poor height.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
What really burns my butt, besides a fire three ft high, is that after I am dead, you all will be able to tune your TVs to Japanese TV and actually watch this great competition....all I got to see was Sarah Hughes.

Gee

Rinkside
Out of all of those 3-3s Irina did,

I'd say only 2 of them are clean.