Japanese Nationals! Anyone with Results? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals! Anyone with Results?

Tak said:
Yukina withdrew from Japan Nationals due to slow recovery from injury.
Then Japan Skating Federation announced after the NAtionals that Miki Ando and Shizuka Arakawa will go to the Senior Worlds with the third slot to be determined after 4CC. The real surprise was the competitors for 4CC.
Fumie Suguri, Yoshie Onda and YUKINA OTA!!!
Alternates for 4CC: Aki Sawada?, Yukari Nakano, Mai Asada
Takeshi Honda was also confirmed to attend Sr Worlds, with the second slot to be determined after 4CC.
Geez, if that doesn't pudt pressure on for those named and unnamed going into the 4CC. Can you imagine being told: You're not going unless you place first in the 4CC. and the Japanese Men not even knowing which one they are considering. I say again, the Americans are going to be in the same boat.

While I'm always for the oldest competitors (vis-a-vis Fumie), I still have that beating heart for Yukina. I hope Yukina goes and without injury.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
Thanks, Vash. I didn't realize that she was so young.
Mao Asada is 13-14. Her sister Mai Asada is 16.

Tak said:
Takeshi Honda was also confirmed to attend Sr Worlds, with the second slot to be determined after 4CC..
Two Japanese Men competed at Worlds last year:

11th: Takahashi
22nd: Tamura

Neither placed in the top 10; their total placement was 33. How is it possible that 4C's could determine a second Men's slot?

EDITED TO ADD: Duh, the least a skater can score is 16 if s/he makes the LP cut, so as long as the top skater is 12th or higher, the team qualifies two. (Only the top two are considered. So there's still hope for Takahashi (fingers crossed) or a skater who hasn't yet competed at Worlds.

http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/faq/rules.shtml#Q10

doubleaxelcm said:
Will the one Japanese pair team go to Worlds?
Yuko Kawaguchi and Devin Patrick, coached by Moskvina, are the Japanese Pair. The last time I see a reference to him in competition was 2003 Senior Nationals, with Emma Phibbs. Jennifer Don thanked Patrick in her online journal in January 2004, because he worked with her on off-ice throws and lifts while Hunt had abdominal surgery and recovered, but he didn't skate at 2004 US Nationals. I tried to verify whether Phibbs/Patrick represented the US in any international competitions, but couldn't find the 2003 US team international assignment list. Of the ISU past events with links, I didn't see them listed, so he may be eligible to compete this year.

She's got a lot of international experience, having competed at Worlds and the 2002 Olympics. If Moskvina feels that they're presentable, and he's eligible, it seems that the JF should send them.

Last edited:
Joesitz said:
Mai placed 8th and Chika Suguri placed 9th. So much for kid sisters.
Except that Mao is the "kid sister," now outshining the older and more experienced Mai. (Think Michelle and Karen Kwan.)

Mai was fourth at World Juniors last year, behind Ando, Meissner and Taylor. I assume Mao will be going to World juniors this year(?) Mao won the Junior GP Finals last month, ahead of Meissner and Kahle.

It almost makes me want to rush 2006 out of the way so we can concentrate on 2010!

Mathman

rtureck

Final Flight
From watching the videos available on the net, Miki has improved tremendously in all phases of her skating. Watch out for Mao Asada, she is fearless. Love the triple axel, the headless biellman (shades of NNN). I think Biellman only look good on 14 year olds.

Olympics 2010, possible a Japanese sweep if skate gods hear my prayers. If Miki will be still competing, I want her to make the podium. I hope Mai (elder sister) :love: wins gold, she is the most beautiful skater in the world, and Mao wins silver. She is young enough to go for 2014.

Last edited:

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
rtureck said:
From watching the videos available on the net, Miki has improved tremendously in all phases of her skating. Watch out for Mao Asada, she is fearless. Love the triple axel, the headless biellman (shades of NNN). I think Biellman only look good on 14 year olds.

Olympics 2010, possible a Japanese sweep if skate gods hear my prayers. If Miki will be still competing, I want her to make the podium. I hope Mai (elder sister) :love: wins gold, she is the most beautiful skater in the world, and Mao wins silver. She is young enough to go for 2014.

Where did you find those videos?

Vash01

Medalist
Somehow Mao reminded me of NNN- great big smile, great Biellman and personality on the ice. I hope she stays injury-free in the years to come.

Hi, Doubleaxel. You have been asking about web sites where you can download skating videos. I have been holding off replying in the hope that some of our Internet experts would say something. You can always ask questions about videos in the "Tape Trading" folder of GS (but mostly these are compilation tapes that people are offering for sale).

Two really good free sites are

http://www.cruelladekwan.com/

http://www.icechampions.com/

Also, you can go to fan sites of particular skaters. Here's Heather's Michelle site:

http://heatherw.com/mk/video.htm

And our very own Red Dog has a new skating video site (free, but you have to register):

http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/index.php?mforum=hangout

There are lots of others. Maybe other GS members will contribute their favorites here.

Mathman:)