Japan's Artistic Yukina Ota | Golden Skate

Japan's Artistic Yukina Ota

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While many of the Japanese ladies have been inspired by Midori Ito to focus on the technical side of skating, balletic Yukina Ota has focused on the artistry involved in the sport. Her heroine ...

More

And a beautiful skater heroine she picked!!

Yuka Sato is among the very few lyrical skaters in eligible or non eligible figue skating today. Yukina is one of few in eligible, but lyrical skating is not everyone's cup of tea. Many, many fans enjoy the bravura style of in your face skating. I like both but I differentiate.

Joe

brenlynn

On the Ice
Yukina is superb, I cannot wait to see her hone her skills over the upcoming years, and she is such a sweet girl too! :love:

shine

Record Breaker
Thanks for the wonderful interview and article! Nice to know that she's also paying so much attention to her education. She seems to know well what kind of a skater as well as an individual she aspires to be. I really can't wait to see her skate next season!! :love:

Bijoux

Match Penalty
yuka yukina

what a skater that would be! Ota looks like a world champion to be. She scares me! Michele, Sasha, Jenny watch out!

Matt

On the Ice
It's nice to hear from probably the only Japanese ladies skater that doesn't look up to Midori Ito as her idol. Sure, Ito was a phenomenal skater, but Japan has produced other wonderful skaters like Sato that were just as good if not better. I think it a good thing for Ota to have; maybe that regard will add a little more artistry and elegance to Japanese figure skating and encourage her countrywomen to do the same.

Michibanana

Rinkside
I absolutely adore Yukina's skating! If she can land her jumps more consistently than she has been so far this season, I think that she, of all the Japanese ladies, has the best chance of challenging for the top spot on the podium over the next few seasons.

kokekin

Rinkside
I love Yukina's skating:love:

If she can land her jump more cleanly and consistently, she could have a chance of podium in World Championship in the near future. That would not be a dream, but reality.

I heard she will make her new program from next month March.
I can't wait to see her skate next season!

Thanks for the wonderful article on the beautiful Yukina, Paula. Ota has that long swan neck and naturally balletic arms that you have to be born with--no way you can train to get them to move like that. Ballet helps, but in young ballet dancers you can see the ones we would say had the "arms gene." But even among elite ballet dancers, I'd say only about 10% to 20% are born with arms and carriage like that. To see it on a skater is more than a treat, it's simply stunning. Interesting that Yukina looks up to Yuka. Maybe Yukina's mother knew something when she named her;) But yes, what a great role model to have. It's the 10 year anniversary of Yuka's World title, after which she turned pro, and she has consistently been one of the most enchanting, beautiful, strong, and consistent skaters out there.

Speaking of strength, I think Yuka combines many qualities and I would not categorize her as lyrical only, although she does do lyrical skating probably better than anyone. I think the great skaters, like great dancers, are able to express a wide range of qualities. I've seen Yuka be "coma and get me boys" "bravura" sexy if the choreography calls for it and deep inside skating that is totally internally driven. Much like Kristi Yamaguchi she can do "Swan Lake to salsa."

But back to Yukina, she is definitely the very embodiment of the music box skater. Gorgeous lines, good jump technique that I hope she will become consistent with, and that "X" factor quality, that charisma, that "can't take your eyes off her," that other worldly beauty. There's a moment in her LP where she brings the backs of both hands up to her face for a moment. How many skaters can make that stunning and unforgettable? I hope to see her have the long successful career that other skaters with her potential should have had but didn't.
Rgirl

Last edited:

vivitt

Rinkside
She is a very wonderful artist skater. :love: :love: :love:
It is a regrettable thing that she cannot participate in the world championship.

jesslily

Final Flight
Yukina is that one beautiful skater who makes your heart dancing after Sasha came to international stage. Sometimes I can not stop to compare these two skaters. Yukina has great dance ability, but only Sasha has that superb extention from fingertips to toes.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
She's a gorgeous skater--really lovely to watch. However, she really needs work to improve her jumps and her strength, or she will, unfortunately, never reach her true potential.

blurrysarah

On the Ice
I must say my favourite element of Yukina's skating is her spins.
She has the lightest, airiest flying camel I've ever seen.

Last edited:

ICEFAIRY1449

Spectator
YUKINA OTA

Thank you GSK8 for the wonderful article about this young lady. I recently posted about her at another forum as being my favorite breakthrough skater of 2003-2004. I agree with everything that`s been said and I love the softness of her knees and the fact that she skates from the ice rather than on it. Some skaters do that.I love her costumes and I just think her jumps need consistency .Itoo am looking forward to see her develop and how she does at worlds. To me you can`t teach what she has . Give me her type of skating with strength ,quality and artistic expression any day ,it`s a beautiful package.:)

shine

Record Breaker
But she's not going to worlds! :cry: Okay, this is the last time I'm tearing up for it.