Jason Brown | Page 148 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

ice coverage

Record Breaker
And yet another picture of Jason with a bunch of cute girls. :laugh:

jasonbskates
3 hours ago
Love these girls! Was great seeing them last week!! Can't wait to reunite in Shanghai for Worlds! #tbt #4CCSeoul #ClosingBanquet @lizijunn @happy_soyoun @polinaedmunds 🇰🇷🇨🇳🇺🇸

(I assume those are hearts or something! They don't show up in the instagram web browswer): https://instagram.com/p/zTvCmPTXGQ/

(Also, I didn't realize that Zijun is 18 already! Ah got to love the eternal youth of being Asian. So Youn is the next oldest at 17 though Polina is only a few years younger).

Jason attached the flags of Korea, China, and the U.S. when he tweeted the same photo. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow that is some cake! Can I get her to make cakes for all my baby showers? :laugh:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you, sabinfire. :) I will have to watch later cause I'm out of of town and the hotel internet is terrible. Something look forward to when I get home.

Thanks Sabinfire, didn't watch or tape today (how antediluvian we are, taping).

But holy cow, did Tara, Johnny and Terry spend the whole Free Skate talking about the quad.:bang: At least with Kazakh TV, I don't know what they're saying....

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
For Mrs. P:

4CC Jason Brown FS NBC (1080p60 HD)

Guess NBC didn't completely leave out Adam Rippon... you can see him for a few seconds around the 4:52 mark.

Holy moly. Quad quad quad, blah blah blah, Johnny deliberately points out that Jason's 3A in the SP was UR but then when Jason does a perfectly clean one a moment later doesn't acknowledge it, then later in the program Johnny takes shots at Jason's artistry again - did Jason step on his designer boots at Nationals or something?

TMC

Record Breaker
Thanks for the recap guys - I wanted to know what they were saying (like if they'd acknowledged the PB at all and so on) but now I don't have to listen and get furious again :D

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The screen said SB, but no, they didn't mention it. And Johnny did at least say it was brave of Jason to put the quad in the SP with such a short time between Nats and 4cc's, and how hard it was to make a change like that in so short a time.

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
After suffering through their coverage at the Olympics, I don't watch skating on NBC because of Johnny and Tara. I only catch their drivel when a video of one of my favorites is uploaded. Last year so many articles/videos about Jason mentioned his musicality/artistry and how he brought people back to the sport. (I am one.) Now, according to J/T, his artistry is choreographed and he is too trained. When did having good choreography that showcases your strengths become a negative? And, when did mastering your programs so you are able to perform them full out in competition become a negative? :confused:

Thanks to the Russian fans on VK who posted the video, here is Jason's Free Skate from 4CC with Japanese commentary:

Jason Brown 4CC Free Skate

Based on tone, the commentators seemed to like Jason's performance just fine. Can someone translate?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
After suffering through their coverage at the Olympics, I don't watch skating on NBC because of Johnny and Tara. I only catch their drivel when a video of one of my favorites is uploaded. Last year so many articles/videos about Jason mentioned his musicality/artistry and how he brought people back to the sport. (I am one.) Now, according to J/T, his artistry is choreographed and he is too trained. When did having good choreography that showcases your strengths become a negative? And, when did mastering your programs so you are able to perform them full out in competition become a negative? :confused:

Thanks to the Russian fans on VK who posted the video, here is Jason's Free Skate from 4CC with Japanese commentary:

Jason Brown 4CC Free Skate

Based on tone, the commentators seemed to like Jason's performance just fine. Can someone translate?

Sure. Here is a quick translation. If you see discrepancies, please do point them out. Japanese commentary is pretty basic though.

9th in the Short, Jason Brown, 20 years old.
His first jump, which he gained over the last 2 ½ years. Triple axel
Triple axel, double toe loop combination
Change foot Camel spin.
Triple lutz cleanly landed.
Flying change-foot combination spin. In speed, it is a high quality spin.
Only two jumping passes so far.
Triple loop.
He made a lasting impression on Japanese fans in Sochi.
Triple axel.
Triple flip, triple toeloop.
And after this jump…triple lutz single loop triple salchow . Three jumps in a row
Double axel, double axel.
Changefoot combination spin.
American Champion Jason Brown. 3rd group. He’s done a clean program.
He didn’t put in a quad jump but he succeeded in all his jumps.
Honda, what is your impression?
It was a very calm performance. And a variety of transitions, which is his specialty, was there.
The third group starts with a good performance.
4 Continents Championships. Nam Nguyen leading at the moment.
Honda-san, you were saying there was something you noticed?
Yes, in the three jump combination, the triple lutz was double footed. It looked as if it was under-rotated. So points may be lost there…
Oh he got a high score! 167.35! A new personal best. Jason Brown, 241.21 and in the 5 components he was scored over 8. High in the components.
Honda: and in the spins, he got high GOE’s too.
241.21 Of course, he goes to the top.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Katmari, I totally agree. I'm sure I'm repeating about 97,000,000 of my prior posts, but I find it head-scratching how many people have gone "off" Jason in such a major way. It's as if they're saying, last year Jason hoodwinked us into thinking he was musical and artistic, but now that Josh has reemerged into the spotlight, we realize that we were just delusional - Jason's "artistry" and "musicality" isn't innate, but rather, something Rohene has choreographed into the program; he's actually just a "showman" or a "performer" with "pizzaz."

I do think that Jason's tendency to say stuff like "Rohene told me I was going to skate to this" or "Kori told me I was going to add the quad at 4CC" makes him sound a bit passive, but as with his supposed lack of competitive fire because he smiles in the K&C after a "bad" skate, it's probably more perception than reality.

I find it telling that both TSL and NBC were so intent on shaping their various narratives (eg that Josh is more talented than Jason and has more upside, and that Jason needs to repackage himself to give the judges a reason to "reconsider" him) that they neglected to acknowledge his new personal bests, which were achieved after his "disastrous" quad unveiling in the SP.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think they will, as they always have done.

As Johnny himself once said, they're just cool. :laugh:

Anyway, the other thing they failed to note that Jason got the 4th highest PCS in both segments ( and was basically tied for third in the FS, due to a very slim margin,.02, with Yan Han.) So if his program components, including artistry, is that flawed, the judged don't seem to agree.

FWIW, Johnny himself didn't start skating until 12 and basically mastered the 3A within months. Doesn't necessarily justify his comments, but to me does explain why he may have some impatience with Jason's various 3A struggles.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Katmari, I totally agree. I'm sure I'm repeating about 97,000,000 of my prior posts, but I find it head-scratching how many people have gone "off" Jason in such a major way. It's as if they're saying, last year Jason hoodwinked us into thinking he was musical and artistic, but now that Josh has reemerged into the spotlight, we realize that we were just delusional - Jason's "artistry" and "musicality" isn't innate, but rather, something Rohene has choreographed into the program; he's actually just a "showman" or a "performer" with "pizzaz."

I do think that Jason's tendency to say stuff like "Rohene told me I was going to skate to this" or "Kori told me I was going to add the quad at 4CC" makes him sound a bit passive, but as with his supposed lack of competitive fire because he smiles in the K&C after a "bad" skate, it's probably more perception than reality.

I find it telling that both TSL and NBC were so intent on shaping their various narratives (eg that Josh is more talented than Jason and has more upside, and that Jason needs to repackage himself to give the judges a reason to "reconsider" him) that they neglected to acknowledge his new personal bests, which were achieved after his "disastrous" quad unveiling in the SP.

You're right that TSL was all over Kori for putting that quad in the short.

However, NBC, particularly Johnny, was very supportive of the attempt. Even if it was a poor attempt, Johnny spoke of it as being a great thing for Jason.

I have some mixed feelings, but tend to agree with Johnny. For once.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Now, according to J/T, his artistry is choreographed and he is too trained. ....

... However, NBC, particularly Johnny, was very supportive of the attempt. Even if it was a poor attempt, Johnny spoke of it as being a great thing for Jason. ....

Did W/L really say that Jason is "too trained"?? :confused2:
I thought I heard them say -- as a compliment -- that he is "well trained."

And I obviously am in the minority, but I am puzzled by the overreaction (IMO) to W/L's mentions of Jason's pizzazz and Josh's purity and elegance.
To my ears, they were not making a value judgment that Josh therefore is superior.
They were saying only that each man has his own strengths to offer. The subtext to me was along the lines of: Jason already is so beloved, and his pizzazz is one of reasons. Josh is a fellow American of the same age, but not as well known; his lovable qualities are of a different sort, such as purity and elegance.
(I feel like Mathman. ;))

I don't think any of us would want Jason and Josh to be carbon copies of each other.
And many of us here at GS are capable of appreciating both men, although they have different strengths and weaknesses.
Why can't W/L comment on their differences without being accused of bias against one of them?