Jason Brown | Page 506 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I wonder if part of the mystery is that he is trying out with coaches after worlds. I would think there are some coaches that would be interested but might want to wait till after worlds for a tryout.

Really a coach change is likely a good idea for Jason's long term career plans. I think would be helpful to a coach or even a commentator to have experience with having been coached by more than one... well coach. If he ever wants to start coaching or choreographing I thinking having the experience of having worked with more than one coach is very valuable. It will give him more insight into the different ways people go about working with each other. Likewise, I think learning how a different coach coaches would be provide valuable insight to a commentator. Basically what i am saying is, no matter how goop coach Kori is, she can never not be Kori. That is not a flaw or a fault, just reality. Getting more perspective is not a bad thing.

I'm curious to see how it all unfolds, but I am getting a little impatient... and hoping for some clarity on why he passed on worlds.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hm... so SoCal/Palm Springs is a temporary stop? Interesting theory.

If the plans are coach tryouts post-Worlds there isn't a TON of time. SOI starts on April 6 and goes through May 20. Though shows are generally Thursday - Friday, so it's not like he couldn't fly to coach tryouts on the non SOI show days.

Impromptu

On the Ice
I have no information... however, if this is all part of a 7k reorganization (as some have speculated), or if some of the 7k staff are relocating to other rinks, then radio silence might be more because there are many contracts that need to be signed involving those other people, with other rinks wanting to do their own sets of press releases... there could just be a domino of things that need to be put into place, and Jason is keeping quiet because everything else that is going on relies on other people needing confidentiality.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Welcome, shirleyc89! Post often and post long!

Anyone know which rink that is? :biggrin:

Ross74

Medalist
I'm curious to see how it all unfolds, but I am getting a little impatient... and hoping for some clarity on why he passed on worlds.

Yeah, I'm actually more curious about passing on Worlds than anything else.

I kind of expected some kind of change after the Olympics if he had made the team, so a change following what could be considered a disappointing season doesn't surprise me. There's a part of me, however, that fears he is perhaps still reflecting on his skating career and whether to continue. Maybe he had to get out of the Olympic City to clear his head, and is laying low in a place where he could disappear if he wanted, but continue to train somewhat and stay in shape for SOI. It's not what I want, but it's a nagging thought.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dropping in for a hot second for another installment of "Where in the World is Jason Brown"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgQKC8lAL2u/?taken-by=takaya.skate

I do not read a word of Japanese, except for "Jason Brown", and IG Translation is useless, but this does appear to be a recent photo. (Surprised the Japanese fan clubs haven't reposted this yet:laugh:) I think Takaya is a Japanese junior skater, and he appears to be touring up a storm in California. Much like Jason:biggrin:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I think you're right! So he's still hanging out there, since the photo was from yesterday.

Yup. Interestingly, as I was scrolling through Icetown’s Instagram, I found an old pic of Jason and Karen rehearsing for Stars On Ice there. It’s labeled from May 2017, but if he was in SOI last year, I must have missed it.

https://instagram.com/p/BT7v4dtltGi/

Anyway, I mention it because it occurred to me he might be in Riverside to rehearse for this year’s tour. Or not, who knows.

I have to say, I’m with Rosa74 on this - unless he declined Worlds due to injury, it seems a bit odd that he’s apparently just hanging around the LA / Palm Springs area. That’s especially true because had he placed top 12 at Worlds, he would have been guaranteed 2 spots on the GP next season and now he’s likely only guaranteed one (yeah I know he will probably still get them).

In thinking about it, I realized he’s posted nothing skating related in about a month - his tweets and Instagrams are pretty much all personal stuff, or at most, Team USA-related. The only on ice practice stuff is from random people’s Instagrams. I suppose he could still be processing his Olympic disappointment and pondering his future. Or, as Impromptu said, he could be waiting to make an announcement pending something outside his control.

But it kind of reminds me of two years ago (I think?) when he went to spend that extended period with Frank and basically didn’t post about it for quite awhile.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jason has a top 12 SB placement, so he'll get two spots easily -- also a bunch of folks are retiring so even if he goes down the SB list, he'll still easily get 2.

I'd be honestly surprised if he decides to move on. I think he is easily capable of a lot more -- despite this "if you don't have multiple type of quads, don't bother" mantra that seems to prevail among some fans. And disappointment or not, I think he still enjoys skating and competing, as we saw at 4CC.

I think he probably decided to end his season with 4CC at some point, especially if there was a coaching change involved.

But who knows, LOL. I don't. :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yup. Interestingly, as I was scrolling through Icetown’s Instagram, I found an old pic of Jason and Karen rehearsing for Stars On Ice there. It’s labeled from May 2017, but if he was in SOI last year, I must have missed it.

Anyway, I mention it because it occurred to me he might be in Riverside to rehearse for this year’s tour. Or not, who knows. ...

Off topic, but IIRC/AFAIK, Jason and Karen back then were wearing the 2017 edition of t-shirts for USFS S.T.A.R.S. combine testing?

If(?) the Icetown social media person had been trying to make reference to the shirts, perhaps(?) s/he just misunderstood what the shirts were for??

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Anyway, I mention it because it occurred to me he might be in Riverside to rehearse for this year’s tour. Or not, who knows.

I have to say, I’m with Rosa74 on this - unless he declined Worlds due to injury, it seems a bit odd that he’s apparently just hanging around the LA / Palm Springs area. That’s especially true because had he placed top 12 at Worlds, he would have been guaranteed 2 spots on the GP next season and now he’s likely only guaranteed one (yeah I know he will probably still get them).

In thinking about it, I realized he’s posted nothing skating related in about a month - his tweets and Instagrams are pretty much all personal stuff, or at most, Team USA-related. The only on ice practice stuff is from random people’s Instagrams. I suppose he could still be processing his Olympic disappointment and pondering his future. Or, as Impromptu said, he could be waiting to make an announcement pending something outside his control.

But it kind of reminds me of two years ago (I think?) when he went to spend that extended period with Frank and basically didn’t post about it for quite awhile.

That's a different stars on ice(a local seminar/show in Cal), not the national tour you are thinking of. Jason wasn't on the SOI National tour since his guest appearances in 2014 and the pre tour rehearsals were in Florida last year.

If he's hanging out there alot I have a feeling he may be trying out or working on things with Tammy Gambill's group.

Either way, all the best to Jason.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's another photo for the "has he cut his hair" installment. But, at least we know he isn't starving. :laugh:

https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/974058594948866048

:laugh:

I took this as proof positive he *had* cut his hair, but you’re right, we really can’t see.;)

And I do hope some Japanese speaker can translate the post from Tsujimora Takaya that I quoted earler. I surely hope neither he nor Jason are “downward unconscious” as IG translate says:biggrin:

shirleyc89

Rinkside
:laugh:

I took this as proof positive he *had* cut his hair, but you’re right, we really can’t see.;)

And I do hope some Japanese speaker can translate the post from Tsujimora Takaya that I quoted earler. I surely hope neither he nor Jason are “downward unconscious” as IG translate says:biggrin:

I don't speak Japanese either, but google translate tells me that it says that he's "unconsciously/subconsciously pointing downwards" which sounds better than being "downward unconscious" :laugh: And the hashtags say "Jason Brown" and "thank you very much"

Tavi...

Record Breaker
That's a different stars on ice(a local seminar/show in Cal), not the national tour you are thinking of. Jason wasn't on the SOI National tour since his guest appearances in 2014 and the pre tour rehearsals were in Florida last year.

If he's hanging out there alot I have a feeling he may be trying out or working on things with Tammy Gambill's group.

Either way, all the best to Jason.

Thanks for clarification on the different SOI!

It will definitely be interesting to see what happens with his coaching situation. I know he really likes Karen and I’m sure he’d enjoy training with her, but I wonder if Tammy would be able to help him with his jumps.

sheetz

Record Breaker

He says he wanted to make the "peace" sign like Jason, but unconsciously pointed his hand downward. (Presumably due to being nervous/star struck.)