Javier Fernandez | Page 113 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I wonder if CoR counts as one of the "major international competitions" this paragraph refers to, but if it does, then it might have to be moved to another place outside Russia... I have no idea where that might be, but I hope it could be somewhere in Europe, as otherwise the traveling and jet-lag would be more of a problem from this event to TEB.
It should be held in Spain.;) Barcelona-a-a-a!:rock:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Glad to hear that your move went well! You've done the most difficult part!:agree: Unpacking could be a lot of work, too, but at least it's something you can do at your own pace... Hope you are settling down comfortably!

News article with a video about Javi's visit to the camp for children with rheumatic diseases: http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/2016/07/17/actualidad/1468780466_676883.html
I'm happy that the children seemed to have enjoyed his visit:clap:

Javi looks adorable in the video, as usual. It seems that he mentioned his programs but I am not sure if he said anything in addition to what we already know about the music. Hopefully those who know Spanish can help us;)I also wonder whether they mean he'll be heading to Canada soon or just the general "he will go to Canada to prepare for the new season."

He is still being very secretive about it :laugh: he said that the choreography for neither of his programs is ready yet. I guess it will still be a while for him to go back to Toronto: he has to see Antonio Najarro for Malagueña, and he has his summer camp and ice show. But since he has his own coach in Spain I guess he keeps doing some sort of training :yes:

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I agree Spain would be good alternative for CoR, and Javi would be able to compete in his home again :hap10:

honghe

On the Ice
He is still being very secretive about it :laugh: he said that the choreography for neither of his programs is ready yet. I guess it will still be a while for him to go back to Toronto: he has to see Antonio Najarro for Malagueña, and he has his summer camp and ice show. But since he has his own coach in Spain I guess he keeps doing some sort of training :yes:

Thank you very much, xibsuarz! I guess we will probably have to wait for a while before we hear any more news about programs.

It should be held in Spain.;) Barcelona-a-a-a!:rock:
I agree Spain would be good alternative for CoR, and Javi would be able to compete in his home again :hap10:

Barcelona did great with the past two GPFs, and I would love for Javi to have another chance to compete at an international event in his home country, but if no one from figure skating has been involved in doping--and I for sure hope no one has--I would feel really bad for Russian figure skaters and fans if CoR is taken away from them. :(

ISU released this statement: http://www.isu.org/en/news-and-even...atement-on-the-wada-independent-person-report
CoR is not mentioned, and the ISU Council will meet on September 9 to 11, which is less than 2 months before the dates CoR is scheduled to take place. So maybe CoR will not be moved, after all?

I like the idea of Cup of Barcelona very much:hap10: I will be on cloud nine if ISU moves the venue of 2018' Euros to Spain:hap93:

Euros in Spain before Javi retires would be sweet, but seems very unlikely to happen. IOC statement says that "these provisional measures apply until 31 December 2016. They will be reviewed by the IOC EB at its meeting in December 2016." If figure skating is as clean as we hope it is, Euros 2018 will likely not be affected at all.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Barcelona did great with the past two GPFs, and I would love for Javi to have another chance to compete at an international event in his home country, but if no one from figure skating has been involved in doping--and I for sure hope no one has--I would feel really bad for Russian figure skaters and fans if CoR is taken away from them. :(
Of course, I hope no figure skaters were involved in doping. And I don't want to take anything from Russia, the sport need Russians (especially Pairs, my favourite discpline, which would be ruined without them, as 1/3 good Pairs are from Russia)and Russian fans, it was only speculating :) But if it came to the worst, I think Spain should be taken into consideration.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I was gonna go to Rostelecom, sooo looking forward to it. To see my favs in Moscow would mean the world. Of course, Barcelona is fantastic, no doubt about it, and I would see everyone I wanted to there as well. But it is easy for me to go to Barcelona on the drop of a hat, Moscow is still that little bit more special in terms of travelling. Well, there is always next year...

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
It'll be interesting to see what they will do with Rostelecom. It might be difficult to find a replacement location at this short notice!

Honghe, when I saw how the guys packed all my stuff (for overseas moves, they tend to want to do it themselves), I realized that I have to let them also unpack and - most importantly - to take away all the trash (the amount of cardboard and paper used was INCREDIBLE).

I'm not sure whether Javi in a crossword puzzle means that a) he is now so famous in Spain that most people will easily get the clues or b) that they expect it to be a tough call: https://www.instagram.com/p/BIF5RKYAfc-/ :laugh:

E

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
It's a little difficult to read, but a questionnaire to Javi by La Luna de Metrópoli: https://twitter.com/Ayto_Valdemoro/status/756419480406757377

A rough translation (I'm obviously a little bored and it's far too hot to go out...):

Favourite movie Ed Zwick's The Last Samurai.
Likes to see movies dubbed in Spanish.
Is in favour of popcorn (I think? xibsuarz?!)
Would like to be James Bond.
Has not cried at movies, but been close when watching The Vow (I think) and The Notebook.
Would dress his favourite actor Jason Statham to a Real Madrid shirt.
Unforgettable record by El Barrio.
Concert of his life by Juan Magan.
Favourite song Pablo Alboran Solamente tu.
Has never seen a play (I think).
Does not like when people take out and write on cellsphones in movies (I think).
Book for a lonely trip would be Dan Millman's Way of the Peaceful Warrior.
Fave place in Madrid El Templo de Debod.
Fave place in the rest of the world the onsen or hot spring in Japan.
An amzing monument the Great Wall of China.
Recommended shop Massimo Dutti.
Fave museum Prado in Madrid.
Fave restaurant La Alegria at Villavede Alto.
The fave dishes I could not quite get...
Fave tapas bar La Tienta
Fave drink tomato juice.
Fave breakfast fresh orange juice, coffee and a croissant.
The person to share dinner and breakfast with - Miki.
Secret place Almeria.
An unforgettable trip to the Maledives and the Galapagos Islands (This could also be a wish?).
Quiet but fun leisure time.
Nr 27 did not get at all... xibsuarz?
Ideal weekend with sports and friends.
No favourite clothes designer.
Fave shoes Scalpers.
Prefers sandals to stiletto heals.
Bermudas always.
Tie rather than beard.

E

honghe

On the Ice
A rough translation (I'm obviously a little bored and it's far too hot to go out...):

Thank you so much, eppen! It's really fun to read his answers!

Has not cried at movies, but been close when watching The Vow (I think) and The Notebook.
I think he has mentioned The Notebook before, so I guess it really left a strong impression.:agree:

I read somewhere that Jason Statham sometimes goes to Chelsea games but is not really a crazy fan of any team in particular, so maybe he wouldn't mind wearing a Real Madrid shirt:laugh2:
(And I'd like to dress my favorite skater in a Barca shirt... which I am pretty sure will never happen:laugh:)

I used to suspect that his favorite song might be something by Bruno Mars;) but I was wrong. Solamente tu is a beautiful song, though.

Now I like him even more;)

Tie rather than beard.
I feel like I'm a broken record when it comes to his facial hair...so I'll just say I like this answer.;)

(Oh and eppen, smart decision to let them unpack your things! I hope everything is going well for you!)

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
It's a little difficult to read, but a questionnaire to Javi by La Luna de Metrópoli: https://twitter.com/Ayto_Valdemoro/status/756419480406757377

Favourite movie Ed Zwick's The Last Samurai.
Likes to see movies dubbed in Spanish.
Is in favour of popcorn (I think? xibsuarz?!)
Would like to be James Bond.
Unforgettable record by El Barrio.
Concert of his life by Juan Magan.
Has never seen a play (I think).
Does not like when people take out and write on cellsphones in movies (I think).
Book for a lonely trip would be Dan Millman's Way of the Peaceful Warrior.
Fave place in Madrid El Templo de Debod.
Fave place in the rest of the world the onsen or hot spring in Japan.
An amzing monument the Great Wall of China.
Recommended shop Massimo Dutti.
Fave museum Prado in Madrid.
Fave restaurant La Alegria at Villavede Alto.
The fave dishes I could not quite get...
Fave tapas bar La Tienta
Fave drink tomato juice.
Fave breakfast fresh orange juice, coffee and a croissant.
The person to share dinner and breakfast with - Miki.
Secret place Almeria.
An unforgettable trip to the Maledives and the Galapagos Islands (This could also be a wish?).
Quiet but fun leisure time.
Nr 27 did not get at all... xibsuarz?
Ideal weekend with sports and friends.
No favourite clothes designer.
Fave shoes Scalpers.
Bermudas always.
Tie rather than beard.

E

:clap:
Great translation, eppen!
Yeah, they asked him if his was in favor or against popcorn and he's definitely in favor of them.
The movies in which he almost cried were indeed the Vow and the Notebook.
He's never been to a play :laugh:
He said that the light of the cellphones when they text on the movies, plays, concerts, etc is annoying.
His favorite dishes are all Spanish, of course. Las Migas is a dish based on 'old bread' and can have different ingredients: olive oil, spinach, chorizo, bacon, etc. La Torta del Casar is a special cheese with a creamy center. And chuletón is a sort of beef.
The question about the Maldives and Galapagos said that he could have done it already or he could want to go there. So I'm not sure if he's actually been there or just wants to.
Question 27 is "something I want (to have or do) but can't (have or do)" and he didn't answer anything. I'm glad that his positive and more determined attitude is showing even in these small things.

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Thanks, xibsuarz - I had some help from Google translate ;) A search for las migas produced links to an all girl pop group which was a bit odd :biggrin: And now that I think of it, I might have tried La Torta del Casar a couple years ago in Merida...

I was surprised that he chose the tie over the beard, because it certainly has been the other way the past year!

And I agree on nr. 27: keep it positive and believe in yourself!

E

Sol

Rinkside
I used to suspect that his favorite song might be something by Bruno Mars;) but I was wrong. Solamente tu is a beautiful song, though.

Actually the question is not what song do you love the most, its with what song do you fell in love with someone, so makes sense choosing Solamente tu because is a romantic song, so its still possible that his favourite one is something from Bruno Mars haha

Last edited:

honghe

On the Ice
Actually the question is not what song do you love the most, its with what song do you fell in love with someone, so makes sense choosing Solamente tu because is a romantic song, so its still possible that his favourite one is something from Bruno Mars haha

Many thanks for the explanation, Sol!

And I agree on nr. 27: keep it positive and believe in yourself!
Question 27 is "something I want (to have or do) but can't (have or do)" and he didn't answer anything. I'm glad that his positive and more determined attitude is showing even in these small things.

I think it was Valentina who said that Miki has the most positive attitude. Maybe that's part of the reason why she and Javi are a happy couple:biggrin:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Ummm, is Elvis going to be this season's POTO/Feeling Good in men?? Nicholas Nadeau in Skate Detroit became the first to present an actual program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-UgwQKDx8k (Though he might compete mostly still junior?)

Well, IMHO his music cut was asolutely terrible with the Elvis vocals mashed up with a rhythm section from something else. :noshake: Really am hoping that our guys will come up with something better than this...

E

Oh, and Miki will be back in Spain for the August 13th gala: https://twitter.com/M1K1_ANDO/status/757260482436747264

Last edited:

honghe

On the Ice
Ummm, is Elvis going to be this season's POTO/Feeling Good in men??

Well... Hopefully Elvis songs won't be as overused as POTO...
And fortunately so far this year no one has chosen any Elvis song that I really want Javi to skate to;) so at least I still can dream, for now.

The music editing of Nadeau's program is indeed a little bizarre. From what I understand he's still going to compete as a junior, so maybe that explains the music editing to some extent. The program can be charming and he can be fun to watch, so hopefully the music editing will make more sense in a junior program.

Really am hoping that our guys will come up with something better than this...

I am also hoping that they come up with a program that is coherent, not a handful of songs that seem like they could have been selected randomly by draw, as some medley programs tend to sound like.
But I have also persuaded myself to be reasonably optimistic, as the programs David Wilson has done usually have good music editing (in many cases, much better than a lot of others, I'd say). Hopefully both the music and the choreography for Javi's new program will be great.

Oh, and Miki will be back in Spain for the August 13th gala

Maybe they can do Malaguena back to back lol.
Seriously, though, I wonder whether Javi will have any of his programs for the new season ready by then. It seems like he hasn't started to work on any of them yet.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Ummm, is Elvis going to be this season's POTO/Feeling Good in men?? Nicholas Nadeau in Skate Detroit became the first to present an actual program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-UgwQKDx8k (Though he might compete mostly still junior?)

Well, IMHO his music cut was asolutely terrible with the Elvis vocals mashed up with a rhythm section from something else. :noshake: Really am hoping that our guys will come up with something better than this...

E

Oh, and Miki will be back in Spain for the August 13th gala: https://twitter.com/M1K1_ANDO/status/757260482436747264

Elvis has no chance to become Feeling Good. There already prgorams to that music again this year... And yeah, it seems like Nicolas is made to compete in juniors again :( Anyway, I just noticed that there will be Russian skaters in the Gala! With Miki & Javi it might be a really good show :thumbsup: I wonder if Sara Hurtado & Kiril Khaliavin will skate.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

I'm also a fan of Nicholas, but not sure why his FS program is criticized here? :sarcasm: You can dislike and criticize all you want, but the thread for Skate Detroit is a better place than here. I think the music edit with Elvis' vocal is refreshing and unique, so I kind of like it. I hope that Elvis music medley is not as overused as POTO and Javi have a great program based on the music though.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
I'm also a fan of Nicholas, but not sure why his FS program is criticized here? :sarcasm: You can dislike and criticize all you want, but the thread for Skate Detroit is a better place than here. I think the music edit with Elvis' vocal is refreshing and unique, so I kind of like it. I hope that Elvis music medley is not as overused as POTO and Javi have a great program based on the music though.

Sorry, Crossover, got carried away last night. Although sort of :eek:topic: the Elvis theme does make it relevant - there will be inevitably be comparisons when all the Elvises are in the building.

Javi has a good record for choosing unique music and themes and this could be the first time when there is a possibility for comparison...

IIRC there was a skating camp with Russian coaches and skaters in Spain before the August 13th show which probably explains the Russians in it?

E

honghe

On the Ice
Javi has a good record for choosing unique music and themes and this could be the first time when there is a possibility for comparison

I think Brian, David et al have a good record packaging Javi.

I do believe an American skater skated to Black Betty, but right now I can't recallwho and when... Some of the music choices for Javi's programs are quite quirky but have been used before by others. Sometimes I suspect that they are deliberately playing with allusions, which is fun. For example, Satan Takes a Holiday was used by Robin Cousins. And Brian himself had a show program to Harlem Nocturne.

Although they didn't use the same music, Javi and Michal Brezina both had Figaro programs in the same season (Javi's to Rossini's music and Michal's to Mozart's music), and some people compared those two programs.

But I agree that Javi often has unique programs. David said that he didn't know why people didn't do Guys and Dolls. Well I didn't know either, but I'm happy that the one David did for Javi ended up being really great:)