Jennifer Kirk---did anyone else notice? | Golden Skate

Jennifer Kirk---did anyone else notice?

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
At Marshall's, I noticed that Jennifer has been taught new technique for entering her lutz, i.e. the forward inside mohawk, step over onto the left back outside edge---reach back with the right free leg---and tap in for the jump.

She did not seem to flutz! Could it be that a former flutzer has learned to correct this after getting a medal at a major competition? (Jenny is a National medalist, right?).

If it is true and verified, then kudos to Frank Carrol for teaching fine lutz technique, and being able to correct the flutz. All bad skating habits are very hard to change, and a great coach and determined student can do it, but it is never assured that all bad habits can be corrected. Jenny must also be a determined competitor, and I will not forget about her chances to make the Olympic team.

Actually, with the way Angela is jumping in her programs, aren't Jenny and Amber Corwin the real front-runners for the third spot? This will be one good competition for 2nd, 3rd and 4th places at US Nationals if Michelle Kwan skates superbly and is placed first. In my opinion, a clean skate by Jenny or Amber are not as lovely as Sasha, but they should be given more credit than a flawed skate by Sasha (or anyone) if they skate clean programs.

Credit simply should not be given for failures on elements or poorly completed elements because the skater is asthetically appealing, has flow, speed and line, etc. For example, I feel a triple lutz performed off the correct edge, with completed rotation and the correct edge on the landing should get more credit than a larger, faster, higher flutz. It should also get more credit than a higher, faster, under-rotated jump. I say this because demonstrating the correct technique should be most important, and the speed, amplitude, etc. are how well the correct technique is done. The other things are deductions.

But I strayed off topic already! Did anyone else notice Jenny's lutz at Marshall's?

ChiSk8Fan said:
At Marshall's, I noticed that Jennifer has been taught new technique for entering her lutz, i.e. the forward inside mohawk, step over onto the left back outside edge---reach back with the right free leg---and tap in for the jump.

She did not seem to flutz! Could it be that a former flutzer has learned to correct this after getting a medal at a major competition? (Jenny is a National medalist, right?).

If it is true and verified, then kudos to Frank Carrol for teaching fine lutz technique, and being able to correct the flutz. All bad skating habits are very hard to change, and a great coach and determined student can do it, but it is never assured that all bad habits can be corrected. Jenny must also be a determined competitor, and I will not forget about her chances to make the Olympic team.

Actually, with the way Angela is jumping in her programs, aren't Jenny and Amber Corwin the real front-runners for the third spot? This will be one good competition for 2nd, 3rd and 4th places at US Nationals if Michelle Kwan skates superbly and is placed first. In my opinion, a clean skate by Jenny or Amber are not as lovely as Sasha, but they should be given more credit than a flawed skate by Sasha (or anyone) if they skate clean programs.

Credit simply should not be given for failures on elements or poorly completed elements because the skater is asthetically appealing, has flow, speed and line, etc. For example, I feel a triple lutz performed off the correct edge, with completed rotation and the correct edge on the landing should get more credit than a larger, faster, higher flutz. It should also get more credit than a higher, faster, under-rotated jump. I say this because demonstrating the correct technique should be most important, and the speed, amplitude, etc. are how well the correct technique is done. The other things are deductions.

But I strayed off topic already! Did anyone else notice Jenny's lutz at Marshall's?
I noticed and I also noticed the height improvement in her jumps. Caroll is good at technique. He had Kwan doing many jumps before she was old enough, and her lutz was never worse than taking off on the flat when she didn't hit her true lutz. Kwan never flipped her lutz.

After watching Marshalls, I have become interested in Jenny again as a contender for podium.

Joe

IDLERACER

Medalist
ChiSk8Fan said:
Actually, with the way Angela is jumping in her programs, aren't Jenny and Amber Corwin the real front-runners for the third spot?
Angela's jumps are always first rate near the beginning of her programs. It's near the end, that she always starts doubling flips and singling axels. It's unfortunate that the girl was blessed with lots of grace and coordination, but obviously also has a horrendous cardiovascular system to go with it. If there were only some sort of herbal remedy she could take that would keep her from petering out near the end of her long programs, she'd have the potential to be another Yuka Sato. :frown: