Jeremy Abbott ‘kind of on the fence’ about retiring | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Jeremy Abbott ‘kind of on the fence’ about retiring

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Yes, Hanyu struggled to the OGM, but let's consider what he DID do (he made errors in the 3F, 4S):

4T (2.14)
3A-3Tx (2.43)
3A+2Tx (0.29
3Lo (.3)
3Z-1Lo (-3)
3Z (1.2)

He still did a quad, and six clean triples.

And Chan (errors on 3A + second 4T):
4T-3T (3.00)
3Z-1L-2S (.5)
3Z (1.2)
3Lo x (0)
3F-2Tx (.6)

Chan did a quad and five clean triples.

Jeremy's FS at Worlds:
4T (0.71)
3A-2T (-0.29)
3F (.9)
2A (.64)
3Ax (.29
3Z-3T<-2T< (-.)
2A-2T

Even in Jeremy's relative clean program, he had a quad and four (five if you include the 3T<) triples.

Again Yuzuru and Patrick were hot messes in Sochi, but the fact he still managed to pull out more triples than Jeremy did in a relatively clean program is pretty telling.

Also, it's not true that Yuzuru and Chan are not standing up half the time, at least this season. Chan has been quite consistent on his quads this season as has Yuzuru on his 4T (not so much on the 4S, obviously). Sochi was actually the messiest I've seen those two. Let's not forget at their absolute best Chan and Yuzuru scored 190+ in the FS, 25 points more than Jeremy.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Chan's skating very much and still feel that he should have had the OGM over Hanyu in Sochi. Despite what the anonymous judges want to score these skaters (esp in Sochi where it's been more than controversial). I'm talking about overall packages. Many don't have the PCS end of things and the skating technique. Great if you can jump. You still bore me to death.

Meoima

Match Penalty
It's not that people think he should continue or not. I think if he tries his best, he could, but what about the results? What if he even get lower? No to mention, at this age, people would just assume he should retire, because another season might not be a good idea for his health.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Although Abbott had a 'good' result at Worlds last month, it was still about 30 points off the podium. He should keep that in mind.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Chan's skating very much and still feel that he should have had the OGM over Hanyu in Sochi. Despite what the anonymous judges want to score these skaters (esp in Sochi where it's been more than controversial). I'm talking about overall packages. Many don't have the PCS end of things and the skating technique. Great if you can jump. You still bore me to death.

Yuzuru has excellent skating technique. Some of the best 3A in the biz. Yes he's quite raw in his skating and has a lot to work on artistically, but he's not just a little jumping bean, IMO. His Parisian Walkways SP is well-choreographed (go Jeff Buttle!) and he really developed it after two seasons.

Jeremy, to be honest has been hot and cold for me. I was not honestly that impressed when I saw him live at Skate America in 2012 -- his spy program seemed a bit juniorish to me and his Bring Him Home FS deflated when he made a whole bunch of errors (that was when he was having back issues). He was definitely much more impressive to me when I saw him at nationals this year, in particular in the SP.

Last edited:
ETA: “Olympic bronze medalist, four-time national champion” preceded his name." Ahem, doesn't seem to mention that the bronze was from a team event that his teammates helped secure.

This year's Stars on Ice cast has seven Olympic medalists. :)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Hmmm interesting. I am not totally shocked, I thought his strong LPs of Olympics and worlds might light a spark. However I hope he is staying for the right reasons if he does. A world medal isnt a bad goal, but his continuing shouldnt be dependent just on that, as he has to be realistic and know that is a real long shot (not impossible but a long shot) at this point.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If he thinks the usfsa will send him to another Worlds, he is even more delusional than I thought.

Why wouldnt they. He gave the U.S their best finish at worlds since Jeremy himself in 2010, and helped them regain 3 spots. Everytime Jeremy has gone to worlds except 2012 they have gotten 3 spots, whether he was the big reason for that or not. If he skates well at Nationals he would as always likely make it to worlds, whether certain fans want to see that or not. It is like the U.S has a horde of great up and coming men, although they do look more promising than they have for awhile.

Panpie

On the Ice
Jeremy would probably do okay at GP events and could win or medal at Nationals. Surely, he will be realistic about his chances at Worlds, at least, I hope so. He came in fifth, which was good, but two of the Olympic medalists and Daisuke were not there. He's never been able to break through at Worlds or Olympics for whatever reasons. Hanyu, Fernandez, Ten, Chan (assuming he returns to compete), Machida, and probably some others I cannot think of have both reputations and program content that exceed what Jeremy has been able to put out there. If Jeremy stays in to compete, I would think it would just be for the joy of skating, not because he thinks he will medal at Worlds. I have no problem with him staying in or going, however.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
You are completely entitled to your opinion as I am with mine. We are all never going to all love the same skaters, it is impossible. It will never happen. But really if we did this forum would be rather dull. As I said I was a huge fan of Abbott at one time.
I find his that his comments make him sound like a petulant child, of course I have never stood center ice in front of millions, that is not the point. He is an elite skater who has been around for a long time, he is a world class athlete, he is going to be talked about. Go to any sports bar anywhere and tell those watching the games that they are not allowed to comment on the players because they've never played the game..let me know what kind of response you get.

It is clear you are fond of Jeremy, that is great, enjoy it but that doesn't mean that I have to be fond of him as well. :)

This is what bothers me about skating/skating fandom. Apparently, we have to treat skaters with kid gloves and be gentle and only criticize if we are elite skaters ourselves. I cannot think of another sport where that's even implied. Richard Sherman and Peyton Manning don't say "if you've never been a player on an NFL team you can't criticize me!" We can rightfully criticize Peyton Manning's football skills just like we can criticize Jeremy's skating. Obviously, name-calling and ad hominem attacks are not acceptable but to say he doesn't have the mental goods to be a champion is okay. Hell, I don't have the mental goods to be a champion. Sasha Cohen didn't either (but she's still my favorite skater!). Paul Wylie didn't, until he did. It's just a thing.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
if he wants to keep skating, why not?! let him do it. he knows better what he want and what he can

I disagree. Sometimes the person doesn't know what best. I won't be so mean but with pro skating not being what it was it may be time to get real - most people can't be pro athletes and have to get real job. Not every person can be a glamour queen.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope that he will just leave very quietly and without fan fare.

Personally, I dislike his off-ice personality, his lack of nerve and confidence in competition, and his competitive programs are all sentimental nonsense (looking like you are going to cry and having angsty looks is not artistry) while flopping all over the ice trying to compete with the good jumpers.

Just please go quietly. Do. Not. Pass. Go. Do. Not. Collect. $200.00.

I just think some skaters have had their moment and the time is to move on; he's had his. If anyone who deserves another world title or olympic title it would be Dai or Chan. Sorry Abbott for whatever reasons just seems like he has been around too long - I can't put my finger on it. he had his chance. It is sad reality that not everyone can make it so to speak and he has in the bigger picture had a wonderful run. But some of these skaters will do well or fairly well as pros but some have to get a life outside of competing - unless they are rich like the Baldwin brothers or something like that. Jeremy is kind of like Cher less the botox and talent - he just won't retire he keeps coming back like a weed or a dandelion kind of pretty but still a weed.

anyanka

Record Breaker
He probably hasn't figured out his next step yet: to stay in the sport in some capacity as a coach or choreographer, or as a performer (even seasonally), or leave it entirely and pursue something else. He's probably going to need to take some time to figure it out if he hasn't done so already. That being said he'd be a great performer, he clearly loves his sport but he just couldn't control his nerves. He would make a great choreographer.

gettinglow

Match Penalty
I just think some skaters have had their moment and the time is to move on; he's had his. If anyone who deserves another world title or olympic title it would be Dai or Chan. Sorry Abbott for whatever reasons just seems like he has been around too long - I can't put my finger on it. he had his chance. It is sad reality that not everyone can make it so to speak and he has in the bigger picture had a wonderful run. But some of these skaters will do well or fairly well as pros but some have to get a life outside of competing - unless they are rich like the Baldwin brothers or something like that. Jeremy is kind of like Cher less the botox and talent - he just won't retire he keeps coming back like a weed or a dandelion kind of pretty but still a weed.

Yes, I would agree with this. Jeremy is sort of like that TV actor that you see from time to time and you're like "oh wow...he's still around." Yes, Jeremy has had some notable success recently, but internationally he just doesn't have the mental strength to stack up against the best in the world. Technique, yes. Attitude, no. Also, to be frank, I never really liked his presentation...he was obviously a better skater than Evan Lysacek, but something about his overall appearance and body type was deeply unattractive.

flutzy13

On the Ice
I find it hilarious how Abbott is citing being introduced as a bronze medalist as inspiration for continuing as if he rallied the US team to bronze. Someone should remind him that he in no way contributed anything to the medal that any one of the top 10 men's finishers at US Nats couldn't have achieved. Everyone else on that team pulled their weight, even Marissa and Simon who didn't place crazy high but did their job admirably. Abbott should send them all flowers every Olympics for the rest of his life. And I'm in no way undermining the team medal- they are just as much medalists as any other. It's just Abbott acting like his participation is part of some great legacy that I find absurd.

Jeremy should retire because he reminds one fan of a dandelion and another doesn't like his overall body type? ;)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Someone should remind him that he in no way contributed anything to the medal that any one of the top 10 men's finishers at US Nats couldn't have achieved.

Jeremy being an Olympic medalist is what makes me really dislike the team event. Kurt Browning isn't an Olympic medalist, but Jeremy is. With that crap SP he skated. :disapp:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I find it hilarious how Abbott is citing being introduced as a bronze medalist as inspiration for continuing as if he rallied the US team to bronze. Someone should remind him that he in no way contributed anything to the medal that any one of the top 10 men's finishers at US Nats couldn't have achieved. Everyone else on that team pulled their weight, even Marissa and Simon who didn't place crazy high but did their job admirably. Abbott should send them all flowers every Olympics for the rest of his life. And I'm in no way undermining the team medal- they are just as much medalists as any other. It's just Abbott acting like his participation is part of some great legacy that I find absurd.

:yes:

amc987

On the Ice
I love Jeremy's skating, but I don't really see the point of staying in. Technically, he gives up way too much ground to his top competitors. His LP in Saitama is probably his best international skate and would have been enough to win in Vancouver- it was eons better than anything Lysacek and Plushenko did in that competition. And, frankly, it's better than any skate I've seen him do other than his 2010 Nationals LP. But the game has changed.

You need 2 quads in the LP to be a real podium contender at major competitions. Denis Ten got the bronze in Sochi because Fernandez and Machida skated mediocre programs and the event was generally a splatfest, but I don't think that's the norm. Jeremy has trouble doing one quad in his long much less two. Plus his triple layout isn't designed to maximize his points (No 3-1/2loop-3 combo; often no 3A-3T; not sufficiently backloaded for 10% bonus; etc.). He got 166 for a clean program with 1 underrotation and was more than 30 points off the podium. That's not exactly a good omen of his chances in the future.

To be fair, I do think his PCS is criminally low. I don't understand how he loses in PCS to Fernandez and Machida or is even in the same stratosphere as Kovtun, but I guess the judges are sending him a message and/or penalizing him for years of inconsistent skating. Either way, I don't see him doing better and finally making the podium next year. So why continue competing?