Jeremy Abbott ‘kind of on the fence’ about retiring | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Jeremy Abbott ‘kind of on the fence’ about retiring

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well, by mind games I was referring to the games his mind plays on him and the inability to overcome it. I also believe he is past his prime and can't really compete with the top men. But I just think he may need to compete for a year with new wisdom just to show himself and others that he can put together 2 clean performances internationally. If he succeeds then he really could be a wonderful coach able to help other skaters with performance issues.

Then yes, we're on the same page re: the mind games. And you're absoutely right: he could be an excellent coach if he conquers those demons!

centerpt1

On the Ice
I really do think he'll retire. Yuka will help him come to that decision. His injuries are adding up. He has no $ , and I don't see him getting a big sponsor.

It probably means he hasn't been offered big shows in Japan or anything that looks better than continuing on.

BlackPack

Medalist
Well, by mind games I was referring to the games his mind plays on him and the inability to overcome it. I also believe he is past his prime and can't really compete with the top men. But I just think he may need to compete for a year with new wisdom just to show himself and others that he can put together 2 clean performances internationally. If he succeeds then he really could be a wonderful coach able to help other skaters with performance issues.

In theory, it would be poetic if Jeremy can help another choker in the future overcome his demons, but unfortunately he doesn't seem to have the ability to distance himself and be objective about his shortcomings. The ability to examine the game and one's strengths and weaknesses objectively is a must for coaching. Kori Abe seems to have that ability in spades. Then there are delusional coaches who think their students are fantastic and overestimate their abilities.

OrdinaryDreamer

Rinkside
As someone who has trouble performing in front of crowds when by myself, I can say that sometimes, the sheer number of people present at a performance can be intimidating. With large crowds of more than a hundred people or so, I wouldn't be surprised if more skaters actually dealt with panic attacks and such. I know musicians (both instrumental and vocal) struggle with similar issues, and from my experiences, the physical manifestations of anxiety wouldn't be conducive to an activity like skating. I suspect, in part, that has something to do with why Jeremy has fallen in performances. Having trouble standing when anxious is not at all an uncommon symptom.

That said, I hope he continues skating and conquers whatever is holding him back, because he is engaging to watch when he's skating, and (*insert music taste bias here*) has chosen more contemporary music for his competition programs than many of the skaters I've seen performing, and that may actually help make him more appealing to non-traditional folks who might not otherwise become figure skating fans.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
It was frustrating to watch, but I also felt so sorry for him. You just knew he was getting all up in his head and after that begins, it's got to be hard to reverse. I know some athletes work with mental coaches and sports psychologists, and I don't know what Jeremy did, but whatever it was didn't seem to be enough.

kefelsted

Rinkside
I find it hilarious how Abbott is citing being introduced as a bronze medalist as inspiration for continuing as if he rallied the US team to bronze. Someone should remind him that he in no way contributed anything to the medal that any one of the top 10 men's finishers at US Nats couldn't have achieved. Everyone else on that team pulled their weight, even Marissa and Simon who didn't place crazy high but did their job admirably. Abbott should send them all flowers every Olympics for the rest of his life. And I'm in no way undermining the team medal- they are just as much medalists as any other. It's just Abbott acting like his participation is part of some great legacy that I find absurd.

He was part of the team so he gets the medal; those are the rules. But personally, I think I'd be embarrassed to include that on my resume. I don't think he has the necessary mental toughness but felt really bad for him regarding his SP skate in the team event.

BlackPack

Medalist
To be fair, I think some of the more recent skaters' severity of their Fumie Syndrome has surpassed even Fumie herself. At least Fumie did medal at Worlds 3 times, was a top 5 skater for a long time, and skated relatively cleanly and well many times internationally. Abbott on the other hand...

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
He was part of the team so he gets the medal; those are the rules. But personally, I think I'd be embarrassed to include that on my resume. I don't think he has the necessary mental toughness but felt really bad for him regarding his SP skate in the team event.

It's not as if he's the only one though - in fairness to Jeremy, many of the figure skaters who 'won' medals at the Olympics in the Team Event are putting it on their résumés, Twitter profiles, etc.

Has there been any discussion of eliminating the Team Event from the next Olympics? That would put a stop to this medal controversy for next time.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
To be fair, I think some of the more recent skaters' severity of their Fumie Syndrome has surpassed even Fumie herself. At least Fumie did medal at Worlds 3 times, was a top 5 skater for a long time, and skated relatively cleanly and well many times internationally. Abbott on the other hand...

Actually that is all the more reason Fumie is by far the worst offender of the Fumie syndrome. She doesnt have the teeniest tiniest prayer of getting close to those heights again, hasnt for 8 years in fact, and now she cant even qualify to nationals. Abbott just matched his best ever finish at worlds, so is still skating his best and can atleast dream of new goals for the time being.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Like who? Who got Fumigated??? Oh I guess maybe Jenna McCorkell she just faded out if she ever faded in. Verner? I don't think we can say Plushy got Fumigated ; he did skate well for russia in the team event - much better than we anticipated. Rachell Flatt? I just hope Abbott knows it can be painful sitting on the fence :)

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Well, Jenna McCorkell had to pull out of Worlds last month because of injury, so unfortunately her body may be getting the message that it's taking a toll.

BlackPack

Medalist
"Fumigated":laugh:

We need to define what Fumigated means - staying way past one's peak? Never winning anything or medal of choice and still trying? constant splatting with no hope of 2 clean programs? headcasing? Hoping they'll win the judges favor when there's no indication that would happen?

Personally, I think Fumie at least had favorable results in the earlier part of her career, while Abbott never even came close to a World medal. And no, in this field, skating a poor SP but a good LP isn't enough.

Duality

On the Ice
Like who? Who got Fumigated??? Oh I guess maybe Jenna McCorkell she just faded out if she ever faded in. Verner? I don't think we can say Plushy got Fumigated ; he did skate well for russia in the team event - much better than we anticipated. Rachell Flatt? I just hope Abbott knows it can be painful sitting on the fence :)

Plushenko is the worst case ever. He shouldn't have participated in Olympic Games at all. He went to Sochi because he wanted a team gold medal so much but he didn't want to participate in individual competition so he faked his injury. So he just robbed Kovtun or Voronov of opportunity to participate in OG. I guess it was the first time that no one presented Russia in men singles in OG. It was a shame really.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Plushenko is the worst case ever. He shouldn't have participated in Olympic Games at all. He went to Sochi because he wanted a team gold medal so much but he didn't want to participate in individual competition so he faked his injury. So he just robbed Kovtun or Voronov of opportunity to participate in OG. I guess it was the first time that no one presented Russia in men singles in OG. It was a shame really.
It's not Plushenko's fault that Russia only got one slot to Olympic this year, if you know what I mean.

Duality

On the Ice
It's not Plushenko's fault that Russia only got one slot to Olympic this year, if you know what I mean.

I know that it isn't his fault. But he wasn't the one who deserved to use this spot and to participate in OG.

We can't know that he didn't want to participate in individual competition. In fact, I'm pretty sure he did want to participate. He always wants to skate, and he always wants to perform--at least, that's the impression I get of his personality. What he couldn't control was his body, but he pretended for as long as possible that he could. Yes, he was in unrealistic denial, but he almost made it--look at how well he did in the team competition.

Duality

On the Ice
We can't know that he didn't want to participate in individual competition. In fact, I'm pretty sure he did want to participate. He always wants to skate, and he always wants to perform--at least, that's the impression I get of his personality. What he couldn't control was his body, but he pretended for as long as possible that he could. Yes, he was in unrealistic denial, but he almost made it--look at how well he did in the team competition.

I'm pretty sure that he didn't want to participate in individual competition. He even gave an interview some time before Olympics that the team gold would be enough for him and after it he would retire to let Kovtun or someone else to participate in individual event. And he did well in fs team competition because judges gave him enormous components he didn't deserve.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm pretty sure that he didn't want to participate in individual competition. He even gave an interview some time before Olympics that the team gold would be enough for him and after it he would retire to let Kovtun or someone else to participate in individual event. And he did well in fs team competition because judges gave him enormous components he didn't deserve.

Incorrect.

He was asked directly by a journalist which event he would choose. He answered the team event and let Kovtun do the individual because HE THOUGHT THAT WAS AN OPTION. When he was informed of the actual rules, he was very definite that he would do both.

And so he did, until that awful moment when the screw snapped in his back.

Plushenko is not the villain here no matter how much you try to make him into one: he told the Russian Fed to call Kovtun the day after the team event, when there was still the possibility of withdrawing. The Russian Fed lied to his face and told them they couldn't find Kovtun. Kovtun meanwhile was awaiting a call that would never come. Plushy then said that he could do it, and maybe he thought that with enough painkillers he could.

As to Plushenko's PCS: well, perhaps he ought to earn some points for actually trying, which was something Abbott could not say about the team event.

phaeljones

On the Ice
^Agree.

Regarding Abbott, it is not his skating per se that bothers me, not even when he has a bad skate. I am sorry (not sorry) though that his pre and post skate antics are of such a proportion that I cannot any longer separate them from him and, irregardless of his skating, he comes across as a pompous self-indulgent immature child not able to escape Neverland. And it is as if he won't let anyone forget it. Visualize this: If Jeremy were to walk across a farmer's field and you were to map his path on a piece of paper with a drawn line, the line would be a bunch of continuous zig-zags. Why? Because he would have to go out of his way to step in every pile of cow plop ever dropped.

Yes, Jeremy should continue skating if he feels he needs to do it for the love of skating and if that is where he will find the most personal fulfillment in life. No one should ever be denied that. He might just learn to understand though that the people who watch the sport might have their own ideas of fulfillment and watching him skate and act out are not among them.