Joshua Farris Withdraws from 2014 Cup of China | Golden Skate

Joshua Farris Withdraws from 2014 Cup of China

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Press Release

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (Oct. 28, 2014) – Joshua Farris, the 2013 World Junior champion, has withdrawn from 2014 Cup of China due to injury. Cup of China is set for Nov. 7-9 in Shanghai.

Due to a recurring right ankle injury, Farris was advised to continue recovery in preparation for the remainder of the season. He is scheduled to compete at 2014 NHK Trophy, Nov. 28-30 in Osaka, Japan.

mrrice

Record Breaker
This is exactly why I have so much respect for Kori and Jason. I have always said that health is the most important thing in any physical activity. I love Joshua's skating and if this is a recurring problem, I say, take the season off and truly heal yourself. These skaters are so young and if they continue to push their bodies while their bodies are still developing, this will become a huge problem.

You can't push a young developing body that's not ready to be pushed. This happens in Gymnastics all the time and it's up to the Coaches to recognize when a skater has hit their limit. We all know that most young competitors will push themselves until they break.

I wish Joshua all the best in his recovery process and hope he takes all the time he needs to come back strong and fit. Win or lose.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Joooooooooooosh! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I hope he is able to make NHK; he wanted that assignment really badly. He was back doing 3As just before EWC, so I hope that this is just a "give it another couple of weeks" and not a new injury.

AprilS

On the Ice
This makes me sad... The men's field at CoC is the event I am looking forward to most in the GPs, and Joshua was a large part of that :cry: Hope to still see him at NHK! Hopefully he will have time to heal before the last GP.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is distressing news. I was (still am, I suppose) really looking forward to his skating this year.

Much as I like Jason, I think Josh is ready to bring a mature understated elegance to the ice, and I am ready for that.

I thought his Schindler program was wonderful, even if I didn't see it skated flawlessly, and I hope to see more of the same this year.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Such sad news. Let's wish him a quick recovery and hope to see him at NHK

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know who to feel worse for. Karne or Josh :confused2:

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm so sorry to hear that. But I agree with mrrice (which is getting to be a habit - heh! heh!) that hearing things like this makes me appreciate the approach Kori takes with Jason. Not to say he couldn't have an injury, but maybe pushing jumps too hard takes its toll.

I hope Josh recovers quickly. I do like to watch him skate and I think the US needs competitors like him.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I thought his Schindler program was wonderful, even if I didn't see it skated flawlessly, and I hope to see more of the same this year.

We're going to - he kept Schindler's this season but they worked on it with the goal of "making them bawl".

I don't know who to feel worse for. Karne or Josh :confused2:

Josh. :cry:

I'm so sorry to hear that. But I agree with mrrice (which is getting to be a habit - heh! heh!) that hearing things like this makes me appreciate the approach Kori takes with Jason. Not to say he couldn't have an injury, but maybe pushing jumps too hard takes its toll.

I hope Josh recovers quickly. I do like to watch him skate and I think the US needs competitors like him.

I am now wondering if that break in 2011 made his ankle more vulnerable to sprains. I'm not certain, I'm not really a medical type person.

What I am hoping is that this is just a "give it another couple of weeks" on the sprain he had over summer, rather than a new sprain.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wishing Josh a complete recovery! May he take the time to heal, and hopefully be fine in time for US Nationals!

iceberg

On the Ice
Sad to hear about it. I agree with Tontok. I can sense something special and great about Joshua, which I don't and will never see in Jason, or Adam or Max. And let me just say that Jason is overhyped. American team should focus on Joshua. I wish him the best recovery!

noskates

Record Breaker
Oh iceberg - we'll have to go to the mat on this one. I think Jason has earned every bit of hype he's had. What remains to be seen is if he'll sustain it. But last year was magical and it brought a lot of focus to figure skating that has been missing in the past years. For that alone you have to appreciate him. The American team should and will focus on who is winning!!!

Meoima

Match Penalty
Sad to hear about it. I agree with Tontok. I can sense something special and great about Joshua, which I don't and will never see in Jason, or Adam or Max. And let me just say that Jason is overhyped. American team should focus on Joshua. I wish him the best recovery!
Jason have done so well why he's overhyped? He hasn't won any senior A competition but people love him. Why is it overhyped? His fans are realistic than most. I think Josh has talents but with his series of unlucky events I hope he will have time to heal and find his luck.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Just to clarify my original post you referred to above: I'm a big fan of Jason's, too. I appreciate his skating style... but I like more than one flavor of ice cream, and I like more than one style of skating. I also like Max quite a lot, because his skating suits him... when the choreographers will let it. I'm more lukewarm on Adam, but maybe he'll deliver something that will turn me into a huge fan; I remain hopeful.

All that said, I think Joshua brings something special, and I want to see more of it.

Karne: thanks for reminding me that we'll all to see more of Schindler. I really want to see that program done to Josh's full potential.

iceberg

On the Ice
Jason have done so well why he's overhyped? He hasn't won any senior A competition but people love him. Why is it overhyped? His fans are realistic than most. I think Josh has talents but with his series of unlucky events I hope he will have time to heal and find his luck.

Machida finished a staggering 35 points ahead of Jason in SA. And yet he has gotten silver and feels like a hero. Yes he;s good but is he really good enough. I appreciate his amazing skating skills and dancing but if he could'nt do a quad, might as well do a clean program. It's sad that he still falls on his 3A sometimes. I guess what I'm saying is, he should live up to the hype he's getting and push his own envelope.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Machida finished a staggering 35 points ahead of Jason in SA. And yet he has gotten silver and feels like a hero. Yes he;s good but is he really good enough. I appreciate his amazing skating skills and dancing but if he could'nt do a quad, might as well do a clean program. It's sad that he still falls on his 3A sometimes. I guess what I'm saying is, he should live up to the hype he's getting and push his own envelope.
The hype about Jason is that he is an enjoyable skater. That he is joyful on ice and people feel great watching his performance. Until now I see nothing wrong with that.
I can't say that about Tatsuki. He's great right now but I can't enjoy his performance as Jason.
Ans it's not about the medals. Because if it is no one will ever care about 99% of skaters out there.

jace93

On the Ice
And let me just say that Jason is overhyped. American team should focus on Joshua. I wish him the best recovery!

Farris has yet to score over 230 internationally... His successor as Junior World Champion (a Skater more than 3 year younger) has already obtained much better result as a senior both as medal and scores... he has been plagued by injuries and inconsistency since he became a senior and even before he had many hurdle to overcome.. so why should the American team focus on him when they have skater with a greater fan base and/or better results?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ahhh! There is arguing? :cry:

For me, this year, the US has the potential to send the most exciting men's team to Worlds in years. Maybe a decade or even more. The Athlete, The Artist, The Performer. A triad who perfectly sit at different parts of the spectrum. The fastest skater in the world, with the biggest jumps in the US and a thrilling, exciting energy. The soulful, quiet artist, with the perfect run of the blade, divine air position and extension to every movement. And the exciting performer, the one who can light up a crowd and bring them to their feet, even if he doesn't quite have everything. The scoring potential is massive, the marketing potential even more so.

And better yet, no bitter rivalries, no spitting insults, no cutting catty remarks about gender or beards or all of those pathetic, petty things that characterised the last "rivalry" the US men had. No hatred, no anguish, no bitterness or fighting. Just three friends, out to conquer the world.