Joshua Farris | Page 72 | Golden Skate

Joshua Farris

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*whisper* I know that corridor. It connects the two ice surfaces at the World Arena.

The worst part is being too upset at Dolensky to get full enjoyment from the picture

musicfan80

Medalist
Really nice photos. Tim and Josh have been friends for a long time. :) Although it looks like Tim hasn’t really aged. :laugh:

musicfan80

Medalist
Someone yesterday posted these photos of Joshua coaching - in the Kiss & Cry with Damon Allen and on the ice. I don't know if this is a competition this week, though

Also, Damon - please wear some socks! I still don't like this trend on men AT ALL, especially at a professional event and with dark colored shoes and slacks. :palmf:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Someone yesterday posted these photos of Joshua coaching - in the Kiss & Cry with Damon Allen and on the ice. I don't know if this is a competition this week, though

Also, Damon - please wear some socks! I still don't like this trend on men AT ALL, especially at a professional event and with dark colored shoes and slacks. :palmf:

Josh looks great! It’s so nice to see him smiling and happy. The first picture was taken at the Broadmoor Open which is running this week, so chances are these are recent pictures.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

We don't have a sufficient emoji for my wobbly teary smile. He looks so happy, and so content. Those skaters getting lessons from him are so lucky!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
JOSH IS GUEST JUDGING AERIAL CHALLENGE TOMORROW

NOT A DRILL repeat NOT A DRILL

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Josh sighting tonight at Peggy Fleming Trophy! Just caught a quick glimpse but he was smiling and looks happy and healthy - so glad!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Caught many glimpses of him during the Challenge today. Every time I saw him he was smiling or laughing.

musicfan80

Medalist
Caught many glimpses of him during the Challenge today. Every time I saw him he was smiling or laughing.

That was great to see today. I think he gave only two 10s - and gave some silly faces to a couple of judges that appeared to give them out like candy.

It still makes me a little sad that we won’t see him in shows. He probably would have been perfect for one of Scott Hamilton’s fundraisers.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Someone yesterday posted these photos of Joshua coaching - in the Kiss & Cry with Damon Allen and on the ice. …

Tomoki Hiwatashi also had Josh in the Kiss and Cry with him at Broadmoor Open -- along with Christy and Damon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkY7uMzlW67/?tagged=joshuafarris (posted Jun 23, swipe/scroll to second photo)​

Very cool :cool: that Josh has such a direct influence on Senior Men like Tomoki and Vincent, as well as on other skaters.

(The Kiss and Cry photo with Tomoki must have been from Broadmoor Open SP or FS. Tomoki did not compete in Peggy Fleming Trophy.
ETA: Must have been Broadmoor Open SP. Per official results, Tomoki did not compete in the combined event.)​

:agree: :yay:

Same account has photos of Josh and Vincent at Aerial Challenge.

(I hope their side-by-side judging made the experience even more fun for both. :ghug:)

musicfan80

Medalist
HA! HA! I'm very proud that they were the stricter judges here. I sometimes wondered what the other judges were looking at. :laugh:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
So Karne, did you notice Josh’s Wikipedia now lists him as 5’10-1/2”?

He used to be listed as 5’8”, but I recall quite a lot of debate about how tall he actually was.

Of course, Wikipedia, so who knows.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I did not notice that - and I think it unlikely. He was not any taller than I was, IIRC - only a little taller while he stood in skates and me in sneakers.

The mystery of skater height :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
HA! HA! I'm very proud that they were the stricter judges here. I sometimes wondered what the other judges were looking at. :laugh:

I must say that I did not notice any trend that Josh and Vincent were stricter than other judges.

In any case, the only protocols that have been published were for the Championship Round. (My first sentence is based on observation of the live stream.)

Anecdotally (FWIW), the scores for Tomoki were:

J1 8.00

J2 7.00

J3 8.00

J4 9.00

J5 9.00

J6 (Josh) 10.00

J7 (Vincent) 9.00​

I think this video shows the judges holding up their scorecards for Tomoki in the Championship Round:

(I am not complaining, but in hindsight: I do *not* think our upstanding Josh would have shown favoritism for Tomoki, but for the sake of appearances, maybe it would have been a good idea for Josh -- as a member of Tomoki's team -- to recuse himself from judging Tomoki throughout AC? Maybe Josh did offer to recuse himself and was told that it would not be necessary??)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Did Josh choreograph a program for Jimmy Ma?? Is that what Jimmy's post means?

In any case, nice to see another photo of Josh. :ghug:

FWIW:

This video of Jimmy's FS at Broadmoor Open has no sound (AFAIK). :(

Per the Programs thread's OP, Jimmy's SP is " “Sahara Tango” and“Mi Gente;” choreo by Nikolai Morozov." Nothing listed there yet for Jimmy's FS.​

ETA (on Jul 5):

I should have noted that the possible choreo from Josh could have been for an exhibition program from Jimmy, and not a competitive program.

Cool :cool: that they apparently worked on something together for Jimmy, no matter what it turns out to be. :popcorn:

musicfan80

Medalist
Did Josh choreograph a program for Jimmy Ma?? Is that what Jimmy's post means?

In any case, nice to see another photo of Josh. :ghug:

Perhaps Jimmy has a program to something in the My Dear Melancholy album by The Weeknd and Josh choreographed it for him. That’s very exciting if true! :)

I wonder if/when we will get update from Josh on his new career or how his health has recovered. It appears to be good news so far and he’s busy with work.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, that's exciting. I hope it was one of Jimmy's competitive programs. I'd like to be able to see it.

Josh will tell us when he's ready...maybe he's shy of telling us, after the big fanfare around his comeback that then didn't eventuate. Or maybe things are going well, and he's preparing a surprise for us.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It is Jimmy Ma's free skate that Josh choreographed. :cool:

Excerpt from newly published Q & A with Jimmy:

FSO: Tell us how Josh Farris ended up choreographing your free skate and what it was like to work with him.

JM:: My best friend wanted me to stay longer (in Colorado Springs after Broadmoor Open in late June) so I approached Josh to ask him for some basic lessons. You know, just to mess around with ideas of different kinds of music… almost kind of prepping me for the future. Later that day I was like, ‘sh*t, Josh is one of the most beautiful skaters I’ve ever seen.’ The reason why I worked with Jeff Buttle two years ago (classical free skate in 2015-16 season) was because of the program he did for Josh. ... At that point, I decided to stay a bit longer and have Josh choreograph.
It was an absolute pleasure. I remember watching him through the years and he was always an inspiration to me artistically. His Schindler’s List program, especially, made a huge impression on me. I’m like ‘damn, every movement he makes has meaning but it’s never contrived… how the hell does he do it?!” It was an amazing opportunity to pick his brain and see how he creates and how he generates so much energy but make it look so easy. Almost like a wave, natural but powerful. I’m really happy I made that decision and I’ll be debuting the program at Liberty
(Philadelphia Summer International, August 1-5, in Aston, PA). [Editor’s Note: Jimmy says he will share how he and Josh Farris chose the music for his free skate — to be edited into this article — after the Philadelphia competition is over.]

http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2018/07/23/jimmy-ma-speaks-his-mind-to-figure-skaters-online/ (Jul 23)​

yyyskate

Record Breaker
"His Schindler’s List program, especially, made a huge impression on me. I’m like ‘damn, every movement he makes has meaning but it’s never contrived… how the hell does he do it?!"

Joshua, hope to see you in ice shows again! :love::luv17::eek::

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, I'm so excited that my hope came true! I can't wait to see it. Jimmy's fanboying is also super adorable.