Junior vs. Senior: Rules ? | Golden Skate

Junior vs. Senior: Rules ?

berthes ghost

Final Flight
What are the rules that govern Junior/Senior classification?

I know that one must be 15 the July prior to worlds, but is that it? Also, does that same age apply to everyone, or just ladies?

Last year I was surprised to see Carolina Kostner show up to every event imaginable. She was in the JPF, Junior worlds, but also Senior Euros and Senior worlds. Why is one allowed to compete in both S & J worlds in the same year? In terms of skill level, shouldn't a skater be either one or the other?

This year, I am surprised to see that Belgium is sending Wim to senior Euros. He is their junior nat champ. I can understand how they may want him to gain the experience, afterall, Kevin won't skate forever, but aren't there rules? If a skater has passed the gold test, or whatever the requirement for Euros is, shouldn't a skater with that advanced a level be required to compete at senior nats?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ISU rules for Junior / Senior are based strictly on age:
Junior: On 7/1 the year before Junior Worlds:
Must be at least 13 and no older than 21

Senior: Must be 15 on 7/1 the year before Senior Worlds

A skater who meets the age requirements may compete in both types of events EXCEPT the Grand Prix series. Only Pairs may compete in both GP and JGP. All others must choose one or the other.

Carolina Kostner could compete in all the events she did last season because she met the age requirements.

National federations have their own rules for determining who is Junior or Senior, and these are independent of ISU rules. In the US, skill tests determine eligibility for competitive events.

An interesting problem exists for the new US Junior Pairs champions Jordan and Barrett. She is 11 and he is 19. By the time she is eligible for Junior ISU competitions, he will be too old. So they can't compete internationally for 4 years!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Our new Canadian ladies champ is only fifteen. However, she will represent us in the Jr. worlds - for experience. Jennifer will skate for Canada in the Sr. ranks.

It is based on age, but also on skating ability. Eventually though a skater has to move up the ranks to Sr.

Tove

On the Ice
it must be exhausting to switch back and forth between junior and senior, as I believe the junior programs are shorter than the senior programs, so they have to adjust...