Kaetlyn Osmond will not compete during the 2018-19 season | Golden Skate

Kaetlyn Osmond will not compete during the 2018-19 season

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
https://skatecanada.ca/2018/08/kaetlyn-osmond-to-take-off-2018-2019-competitive-season/

“I have had some time to reflect this summer on my future and believe taking this year off to evaluate my next steps is important in making the best personal decision,” said Osmond. “I am excited to be travelling across the country performing for my fans on the Thank You Canada Tour this autumn and look forward to pursing other opportunities during my time away from competition.”
In 2018, Osmond became the first Canadian woman to win the world championship title in 45 years. Osmond also won gold in the team event and bronze in women’s singles at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang. She is a three-time Canadian champion and is coached by Ravi Walia in Edmonton, Alta.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
KO is going to come back fully rejuvenated for Montreal Worlds in 2020 :)

noskates

Record Breaker
I really think taking a year off is "telling!" At this level it's hard to miss a year of competition while the youngsters get more experience and catch up to you. I think Kaetlyn had the skates of her life this year - particularly at Worlds - and maybe she should just rest on those laurels.

Tulipstar

Medalist
I thought she would be back for Nationals and the later half of the season. Would have liked to see her compete at world's especially.

Tanager

On the Ice
KO is going to come back fully rejuvenated for Montreal Worlds in 2020 :)

I personally hope you're right. Her first Worlds was in Canada in 2013 and it would seem wonderfully fitting for a final Worlds in Canada also.

That said, if 2017/18 does prove ultimately to be her final season, then what a final season and what a career!

(But I really do hope she comes back) ;)

andromache

Record Breaker
Posted this in the Canada thread already, but I'll put it here, too:

I understand when young skaters retire after OGM (since a LOT changes in the competitive landscape over 4 years and it's unlikely you'll repeat OGM unless you're a true GOAT), but after WGM? Isn't there something special about trying to defend your title and become a multiple time Worlds winner? Instead of trying to capitalize on her Worlds win by continuing to compete and beat her competition, it's like Kaetlyn is saying "well, I'll never beat Alina and/or Evgenia again so I won't try to win Worlds again." It's just disappointing, like if Mao had retired after 2010 or Michelle after 1998.

Tulipstar

Medalist
I like Kaetlyn a lot and she had a stellar season. Olympic medal and World Champion.

Perhaps she needs rest or just isn't sure if she wants to compete anymore.

Still, she could have won another world medal if she did the later half of the season. Of the incoming former juniors, only Kihira on a good day poses a threat to her. Of the ones who were already there, we know where she stands: she is potentially beatable by only a select few. The year after, a lot more strong competition will enter the senior ranks and the top group will be broader.

At least, if/when she comes back, she will still have a place on the Canadian team, as it's not as hyper-competitive as Russia or Japan.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Well deserved, but I'm going to miss her. It's nicer when many different countries compete for the medals. As I see it, it's going to be Russia vs. Japan this year.

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
I wanted to see new programs from her😓, hopefully she enjoys her year off and decides what she thinks is best.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Well deserved, but I'm going to miss her. It's nicer when many different countries compete for the medals. As I see it, it's going to be Russia vs. Japan this year.

Don't forget Caro is competing, Gabby can be a dark horse, and Gracie is coming back.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Posted this in the Canada thread already, but I'll put it here, too:

I understand when young skaters retire after OGM (since a LOT changes in the competitive landscape over 4 years and it's unlikely you'll repeat OGM unless you're a true GOAT), but after WGM? Isn't there something special about trying to defend your title and become a multiple time Worlds winner? Instead of trying to capitalize on her Worlds win by continuing to compete and beat her competition, it's like Kaetlyn is saying "well, I'll never beat Alina and/or Evgenia again so I won't try to win Worlds again." It's just disappointing, like if Mao had retired after 2010 or Michelle after 1998.

True but she would mainly retire as OBM and that's the deal here. There are some skaters who hang the skates after winning an individual Olympic medal, I can thing of Domina/Shabalin, Duhamel/Radford, Joannie Rochette, and probably some others that I missed. Then there are some skaters who would have probably retired anyway but happened to win a medal, such as Lu Chen. It's true though that most of these skaters were quite old for figure skating and Kaetlyn is still quite young.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I got the vibe that she was iffy for this season when we saw her at a seminar.....she was saying that she was struggling with her training going through a rough patch. Given she was taking Grand Prix off, I didn't think it entirely a stretch that she would take the season off to evaluate.

We saw her walking around at a competition over the weekend but she wasn't competing - I believe she was there for her boyfriend, Trennt Michaud. Maybe she wants to spend more time with him since he trains with his partner in Ontario and she trains out in Edmonton. Who knows though - she just may be physically exhausted.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Don't forget Caro is competing, Gabby can be a dark horse, and Gracie is coming back.

I didn't forget that, but I stand by my Russia vs. Japan prediction. I hope Loena is including a stable 3-3 combo this year, it's all been too predictable for a while. Kaetlyn was always a force to be reckoned with who had chances when others screwed up - and her style was different. But it's her life, and she should do what makes her happy.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I hope she comes back next season, because I love watching her skate, but ultimately more importantly she should do what she feels is best for her.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
:( I was looking forwards to seeing her compete this season. Too bad that she's taking a break just when she was on top.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I will miss Kaetlyn. For me she combined athleticism with artistry (gorgeous jumps, steps and her posture was first rate).

Good luck to her and I do hope she comes back but if not she can be proud of her success. It has been a pleasure
as a fan watching her climb to the top of the ladder after everything she went through to get there.