Kat Witt | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kat Witt

swannanoa54

On the Ice
I enjoyed Kat Witt immensely. What a refreshing change. Although I did like Peggy's remark regarding Onda's outfit "I don't care for the outfit". Made me go :clap: . It is so nice to hear viewpoints that just don't go straight along the line of being nice. I mean, Peggy has her moments like the "Sasha folds like a card table" and other times, but they have become too few and too far between. It's time to call it like it is. I realize you can't say things like "Elena can jump but boy, her spirals and spins suck." :rofl:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Missed the lady's broadcasting. I'll have to wait it rebroadcasting to hear her comments....in general I liked her skating. And from a few times they interviewed her in 2004 or 2005 worlds, I like her comments.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
I love the 'Kat and Kurt' additions!!!! Bravo, ABC! Nobody can replace Uncle Dick for his special sauciness but it's nice to see that ABC/ESPN are thinking about eventual replacements to Dick & Peggy.

Kat tells-it-like-it-is and is not beholden to USFSA/US Figure Skating old-guard, like Peggy. Kurt is a DELIGHT to hear during the programs - not a cauldron of emotions like Scott Hamilton but, rather, brief, cool, to-the-point. I would not mind making Kurt & Kat the permanent ABC/ESPN commentators, eventually.

I VOTE FOR KAT AND KURT!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

p.s. - Susi is fine for the dance events & Terry is good as the 'non-skating sidekick guy.' THANK GOODNESS that Peter C. is relegated to backstage interviews. Can't stand him & his prejudices. THANK GOODNESS that that uncomfortable Brunhilde, Christine Brennan, is gone. :clap:

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
Kat and other ESPN/ABC new commentators

Katarina Witt is a generous commentator, trying to find the positive aspects in even the most "flawed" performance or music. She praised both Elena Sokolova's and Yoshie Onda's LP's and their athleticism but she pointed out Elena's weak spins and weaker choreo. and said she could not care less about Yoshie's costume (or was that Peggy?)
Kurt Browning is a rapid talker and sometimes his comments does not match (or is not in sync, time-wise, or is just plain inaccurate) the slowed-down footage/clip. With him and Terry talking they seem to shut Dick Button up.:laugh:

Serena

Rinkside
I think she's a welcome replacement for Christine BrenMan- er, Brennan. I do think that there's a high possibility that Dick and/or Peggy will be leaving, and that ABC is trying out possible replacements.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Agree. I really like her, although I've had zero opportunity so far to actually hear her commentary, I just like her style and admire her champion personality.

Talked to her in the basement of the arena which I opened by saying, 'Finally - a true celebrity has entered the building!' and we both laughed. But truly, she does have that 'star' charisma, even now at 40, and she looks more fabulous than ever.

tripleflutz

On the Ice
Kati was in the US to receive an award, so she was available. I think the next time she's due to be here is for ICE WARS in december. Maybe they'll have someone in Paris, or Moscow etc.from that country. But my guess is that the next time they have a special reporter will be Winter Marshall's, and I think it'll be Nancy Kerrigan who has worked for the network before on Lifetime, for the Junior Worlds Broadcasts.

Last edited:

mememe

On the Ice
tripleflutz said:
Kati was in the US to receive an award, so she was available. I think the next time she's due to be here is for ICE WARS in december. Maybe they'll have someone in Paris, or Moscow etc.from that country. But my guess is that the next time they have a special reporter will be Winter Marshall's, and I think it'll be Nancy Kerrigan who has worked for the network before on Lifetime, for the Junior Worlds Broadcasts.

Ice Wars is actually on Nov. 17, so Kat will be in the U.S. at that time -- and Nancy is scheduled for Ice Wars, too, so she should be busy at the same time. For that matter, Kurt's scheduled for it, too, so that would mean he couldn't be "on hand" for any other event that may be starting that particular day. (Kurt's also scheduled for the World Ice Challenge in Canada sometime in early December).

Don't know if that will have an impact on commentary or not.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
overall, people liked kat

I did too, and was pleased she's honest. I wonder if she reads GS posts?

Intersting the speculation about Peggy retiring. I wish she would so a female version of Dick could be found! Now who would thaat be? HMMMMMMMMMM

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I liked Katarina's commentary, but I feel she needs more practice with it before it really flows. I like that she generally finds positives in every skater and performance, though. These athletes would not be at the top of their game if they didn't do something very well, and sometimes I get sick of hearing them get torn apart for 4 minutes by Dick. Yet, I will admit, I have a love and hate relationship with Dick Button. I would sincerely miss him if he quit commentating. He is very honest and often says what I am thinking (but would never say out loud, lol). I also like Peggy. She can be somewhat of an uber-cheese at times, but over the years I think she has become a solid commentater.

soogar

Record Breaker
Kat's book

I just got back from reading Kat's book (Passion on Ice or something like that) with EM Swift and it sucked royally. It was a rip off of Nadia's fantastic book, "Letter to a young gymnast". Basically Kat is dispelling advice to a young German skater named Jasmine. I'm not sure whether this is a fictional skater or not (she has a background and all) but it seemed so contrived that I think she's fake. Maybe someone can look up German nats and see if a skater named Jasmine finished 4rth in any group.

Some of the more interesting tidbits:
Kat felt Michelle got what was coming to her when she lost to Sarah Hughes in 2002 because of the way she fired Frank Carroll that year. Kat is very loyal to her coach Jutta.

Kat felt the judges were fooled by the emotion of the moment in giving the 1994 gold to Oksana and that Nancy should have won.

Kat admired Tara's youthful exuberance and felt that Michelle looked tired in comparison.

In 1988, while Kat was watching Debbie's LP, she was trying to appear normal while deep inside she was wishing for her to "Fall, fall, fall!" and when Debbie did fall she kept her hands underneath her so she wouldn't applaud. :laugh:

For all the skaters: wear Jumpsole sneakers and practice jumping in them 20 minutes a day to build your calves so you can jump higher on the ice.

Kat didn't skate well in 1994 LP because she got caught in the moment and stopped being an artist and was trying for a medal.

I didn't buy the book b/c it sucked. I think the author could have gotten more mileage out of Kat's life if he wrote a straight bio on her , like he did with Katia Gordeeva.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mathman said:
I thought she was great. :love: I hope she becomes a permanent addition to the commentary team.
MM :)
Math, are you talking about her commentary or something else???? :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

treeskater

Rinkside
I am reading Kat's book right now and am finding it wonderful. The 'skater' she is advising is fictional/composite of several teenage skaters. Kat makes that very clear in the beginning of the book.

It also gives some insight into the country she grew up in and their system for atheletes. I think a lot of her advice about what it takes to make a champion is right on. If you want it you do have to put in the time, no compromises, no distractions.

The section on her personal feelings about never marrying and having children, being an independant, smart, self-sufficient woman, and the difference between European women and American women (especially how men react) is also very refreshing. While I am a tad older than Kat, I have found the same pitfalls. She made me feel better about my choices.

She is entitled to her opinions as I am mine. I still would recommend the book, but not to young teenagers.....certainly no one under 16, they just wouldn't understand.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I think the last thing needed is another commentator. I have long believed that figure skating commentary became nearly unbearable when they added that second expert. Not only do they each have to earn their pay by talking, they have to chitchat back and forth too. I don't want to hear that! Honestly, how many people does it take to say "Nice triple salchow!" or "A bit of a rounded back on that sitspin" ? I don't care who the expert is as long as he or she remains silent most of the time!

R.D.

Record Breaker
How does one balance commentating? While serious skating fans may want to watch the performance talk-free, a more casual viewer may not know what the heck is going on and may need explanation as to what the skater just did. IMO, THAT's the commentator's job.

Does one just allow the performance to be broadcasted live, talk free, then go over the performance later on and identify the elements? Do you just put a scroller on the bottom that tells you what the skater is doing (with no commentary)? Or do you just maintain the status quo?

Linny

Final Flight
call the jumps and shut up

Kurt at several points in SA said "the next three jumps are x,y,z, now enjoy the program". And I liked that a whole lot.

Rilly, rilly glad she's gone: Christine Brennan.

Rilly, rilly glad they're on a different network: Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic.

Can't remember his name, hope we never hear from him again: the man who filled in for Terry Gannon at one or two of the GPs last year. He was the WORST.

Linny