Keegan Messing | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Keegan Messing

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
KEEGAN!!!!! :yahoo::bsplit::hap10::clap::rock::points::love: :cheer::biggrin: :bow:

Yes, I just used most of the happy/cheering emojis available, intentionally. His FS was just so joyous, and I was honestly not expecting the jumps to go THAT well. Plus, the save on the first 3A was the most Keegan thing ever. His SP was so good but the FS was even better! The crowd was with him for every jump, every step, every spin, each gesture, every smile! The crowd reaction made it 10 times more enjoyable, and it was clear having them behind him meant so much to Keegan! He was having the time of his life, having FUN during a competitive program. It was also so awesome to watch him leave the ice, giving high fives and taking it all in! His smile was as big as it could be; I have never seen him so content leaving the ice. And then, the photos of the kids - how cute and adorable!!! :love2: Keegan is such a proud father, as he should be.

For sheer joy and excitement, this has got to be one of my favorite moments of the entire season!!! :thank:, Keegan, for being you and bringing us skating fans so much fun and happiness. You are one of a kind! Congrats on your well-earned SILVER MEDAL at 4CC! I'm thrilled that he put two such programs together at the same competition. Now, I wonder if he can do it again at Worlds?! But for now, I'm basking in this moment. How incredible it was to watch this!!!

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Keegan Messing pre competition mixed zone: “It feels amazing to be here, I really enjoyed myself this morning to skate in front of the people who came out here this morning. The success at #4ContsFigure showed me what I am capable off. But I will keep my goal which is showing the best possible performance I can every time. Because that‘s what you can controll. Jumps can sometimes be off but you can always give the best performance wise! After 4 Conts I also thought that it‘s maybe not yet time to hang up my skates but I “felt” my age right after. Additionally my priorities changed. My kids changed me! These two events (Worlds and WTT) now are the last time when I will put myself first, after that it’s family first! It feels a bit full circle to end my career in Japan. As my great-grandfather was the first Japanese immigrant to Canada back in the days.” He also revealed that on his mom’s side the family’s maiden name used to be “Uno” and he still want to do some family tree digging to see if he and Shoma might somehow are 4th or 5th cousins!
https://twitter.com/goldenskate/status/1637617602922168322/photo/1

yesterday

Record Breaker
A little fun "present" to celebrate his SP from Worlds :)

giphy.gif

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Good article overall, though they got the year of his wedding wrong. It was Aug 2019 (so pre-COVID, pre-baby) not Aug 2021.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Keegan is a delight! I'm glad he had such a good sendoff at WTT. I'm glad the second half of his season surpassed (my) expectations. I'm glad he'll be doing shows. I hope all his future dreams come true! He has provided us with such joy over the years. Well done! Age-wise, he retired even later than Patrick. His moving on is totally understandable, but I will miss him.

To all the people who will get to see him in shows, please take fancams. :pray: :)

YukiNieve

Rinkside
Japanese TV channel, NHK, showed a clip about the trip Keegan did to visit his ancestor in Southern part of Japan a day after the Worlds was over.

In 1877, Manzo Nagano (Keegan's great-great grandfather on maternal side) moved to Canada from Nagasaki, Japan, as one of the first immigrants. He was an aspiring 22 years old. Manzo became a successful businessman by exporting salted salmons. He built a foundation in Canada for Japanese immigrants that followed him.

Keegan visited a museum in Minami-Shimabara, Nagasaki, which has a section dedicated to hometown hero and is filled with the resources about Manzo.
Keegan: "He wanted to accomplish things. Something that I can personally understand. I always wanted to push the boundaries of myself on what I can do"

Keegan visited the temple where Manzo's grave is located. There his distant relatives - descendants of Manzo's older brother, were waiting for him. Natsumi, 15 years old who happens to be a figure skating fan, was very much looking forward to seeing him, saying "It is unbelievable to see him in person. We'd like to talk about Manzo-san, too."

Natsumi took Keegan and his mother to the grave Manzo rests.
Keegan: I am lost at words. it's so special to see where everything started and to come back and to honor him."

On the last day of the visit, Keegan was invited by Natsumi to her school gym. She had something that she really wanted to show him. Locals gathered there for him, to play a traditional music, Sezume-Daiko with an ansamble of Japanese drums, which depicts Hayasaki-Seto, one of the three great currents in Japan. The intensity of the drum sound represents the roughness of the sea. Manzo traveled this treacherous sea and opened up his life in Canada.
Keegan:"Wow...I have no words. Thank you"
Natsumi: "Taiko (Japanese drums) literally drums in your heart, so I am glad that our drum sound touched his heart.

Keegan: "It's been incredible to finally see Manzo's grave, to learn what he did in Canada, too see his life and his legacy ...it's making me reflect myself and to see who I am as a person, too. I think I am going to lead with my heart throughout every endeavor of my life."

You can watch the clip about Keegan's visit to the hometown of his great-great-grandfather in Japan here (at 00:23:00 mark):

ETA: the museum curator mentioned that there is a mountain in Canada named after Manzo - Mt. Manzo Nagano. I googled and found this clip - Steve Nagano, Manzo's great-grandson, who had climbed that mountain, was talking about that experience.

Mt Manzo Nagano 5 10 15

climbing Mt. Mano Nagano, the mountain named for the first Japanese immigrant to Canada.