Kicking heels to back of boot. | Golden Skate

Kicking heels to back of boot.

Vladik

On the Ice
Hello! Prior to this, I have only been on the ice a small handful of times, but have been interested in pursuing figure skating for a long time now.

Two days ago, I made the decision to get fitted professionally for a pair of figure skating boots, to save me the suffering of having to use rentals again. We tried a couple pairs, and I ended up purchasing Risport Electra Light Skates.

The man who fitted me taught me to kick my heels to the back of my boot, before lacing up and tying my skates to ensure a snug fit around my heel.

I was curious as to if it matters which surface you are kicking the back of your blades on? During the fitting process, this was all done on a specific type of mat. I don’t want to do any damage to my blades off-ice. Would any sort of surface be suitable for this?

Sorry if this is a silly question, Thanks!

Vladik

On the Ice
I appreciate your help! I'll have to test out that method next time before I am on the ice.

I was just concerned about potential damage with the kicking method with/without guards. Like you said, I don't think it'd matter if I had guards on anyway. I am yet to purchase a pair of guards, and probably need to before I get back on the ice, then I suppose I'll be able to determine the strength etc.

Thank you!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
You don't need to kick back hard, just a tap and a wriggle to make sure you're right to the back with your heel. The rubber matting should be fine for this. Don't do it on a hard surface!

Vladik

On the Ice
You don't need to kick back hard, just a tap and a wriggle to make sure you're right to the back with your heel. The rubber matting should be fine for this. Don't do it on a hard surface!
Thank you! From what I recall, the flooring at my rink is a hard surface.
I will test out your method!

Edit: I might be mistaken regarding the hard surface comment I made. I don't particularly remember what my rinks flooring is like, but going off what others have said about their own rinks, I'm assuming it would be some sort of rubber matting. Although it is hard flooring.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Matting surface ONLY. Do not try to kick back on other types of flooring: You'll mess up your blades, and hurt your foot potentially.

Vladik

On the Ice
Matting surface ONLY. Do not try to kick back on other types of flooring: You'll mess up your blades, and hurt your foot potentially.
Thank you! What is the typical matting surface? Is it the sort of flooring you get at rinks? I don't want to be kicking back anywhere I shouldn't.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you! What is the typical matting surface? Is it the sort of flooring you get at rinks? I don't want to be kicking back anywhere I shouldn't.
It's the black matted floor surface at rinks. You shouldn't be putting your skates on anywhere else anyway.

Vladik

On the Ice
It's the black matted floor surface at rinks. You shouldn't be putting your skates on anywhere else anyway.
Oh yes! I know what you're referring to. I was just a little cautious, considering I've never seen anybody else kick back their skates. Then again, my fitter mentioned to me that a lot of skaters have never been taught to kick back.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Make sure you have your guards on when you do it. Make that a habit so when you are in some weird locker room that only has carpet in some random rink you've never heard of for a low budget competition, you don't mess up your blades.

Vladik

On the Ice
Make sure you have your guards on when you do it. Make that a habit so when you are in some weird locker room that only has carpet in some random rink you've never heard of for a low budget competition, you don't mess up your blades.
Thank you for your advice! I did end up kicking back with guards on today, and it all felt fine. I'll make that a habit!