What is the current equivalent of these Risport skates? | Golden Skate

What is the current equivalent of these Risport skates?

EvangelineRain

Rinkside
ETA: Found the answer -- they're the old version of Risport RF4s. Thanks all!

My old skates are Risport Lasers from the early 1990s with "1457" and "33" printed inside (and "457" and "33" on the box), with blades marked with "MK" and "Sheffield Steel". What would be the closest boot and blade to this available today?

(These boots worked well for me when I was younger, so I want to make sure I pick a place to get fitted that has a similar shape, though more supportive, boot in stock that I can try if the fitter feels it would be appropriate for me.)

These are the skates:

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My old skates are Risport Lasers from the early 1990s with "1457" and "33" printed inside (and "457" and "33" on the box), with blades marked with "MK" and "Sheffield Steel". What would be the closest boot and blade to this available today?

(These boots worked well for me when I was younger, so I want to make sure I pick a place to get fitted that has a similar shape, though more supportive, boot in stock that I can try if the fitter feels it would be appropriate for me.)

These are the skates:

Those don't have a real equivalent now. TBH they're just a stock boot/blade pair, and not great at that.

Also, be aware that your feet have more than likely changed since you were younger and you may not even fit a Risport at this point.

EvangelineRain

Rinkside
Those don't have a real equivalent now. TBH they're just a stock boot/blade pair, and not great at that.

Also, be aware that your feet have more than likely changed since you were younger and you may not even fit a Risport at this point.
I just particularly like the shape of these. The Jacksons are too wide for me. But at the other extreme, Riedells I've seen appear narrow throughout and don't have the tapered toe that this boot has. I also measure as wide (the widest) in Riedells, which makes me concerned that it's not the right shape for me, because I have relatively narrow feet. (At least for a ballerina, but I doubt figure skaters as a group have that much narrower feet than ballerinas as a group). I just need some direction. The last time I got fitted without direction didn't go well.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I just particularly like the shape of these. The Jacksons are too wide for me. But at the other extreme, Riedells I've seen appear narrow throughout and don't have the tapered toe that this boot has. I also measure as I wide in Riedells, which is a concern that it's not the right shape for me, because I have relatively narrow feet.
I never told you to go to riedell or Jackson, so IDK where that's coming from. You aren't going to find a boot shaped just like that one tbh.
Your best bet is going to be looking at a Graf figure skate. That sounds the best from your description of your feet.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

These are the skates:

Did I miss something here? It sounds as if you want to buy skate boots the same way you'd buy shoes, as much (or more) for the look as for the fit. For skate boots, or any athletic/dance footwear the fit is the #1 Supreme Factor. How they feel unlaced, laced, standing up in them and walking around, and eventually on the ice. If you happen to try on two brands or models that feel equally supportive and comfortable, *then* it would be all right to take a look at them side by side and buy the one that looks prettier to you. But otherwise, if the skate shop has a mirror for people trying on dresses, stay away from it while being fitted for your boots.

Grafs might be a good choice for your foot shape.

Add a basic tried-and-true MK Pro blade (OK, that's the blade I've used forever, in competition and for recreational skating post-retirement, so I tend to push it) and you'll be ready to skate again.

EvangelineRain

Rinkside
I never told you to go to riedell or Jackson, so IDK where that's coming from. You aren't going to find a boot shaped just like that one tbh.
Your best bet is going to be looking at a Graf figure skate. That sounds the best from your description of your feet.
Thanks for the suggestion of Grafs! I'll look into them. I just mentioned Jacksons and Riedell because those are the ones I've researched the most (Jacksons I've owned and hate because they're wide; Riedells are a narrower option at a similar price point).

I'm just a recreational skater (in terms of my objective, not skill level), so a lot of brands just aren't at a reasonable price point to consider.

And I wasn't going to consider Risport for that reason, but I know that the shape of these worked so well for me (my feet are bigger but still the same shape), and there may be differences in their current styles, but they still have the same basic shape. I also know I won't know if I like any boot until I've worn them on the ice a couple times, so it's a very expensive gamble.

I also wanted to know what the stiffness was that I used to have, because I know I'll want stiffer than that (just because of my weight). So my old boots it turns out are the old version of Risport RF4s (stiffness 40), which for my current body, probably means I need a stiffness of at least 60, which would mean an RF3 Pro for the same skill level. Which seems like a reasonable option. And the RF3s indeed have a more similar shape to the Lasers than other brands I've researched (but I'll look at Grafs).

I'm not sure why you're saying these aren't great boots, but to clarify, this is just for my own occasional (no more than once a week) recreation and cross-training. I'm not likely to ever attempt an axel (but everything easier is fair game). So I'm not in the market for a "great" boot, just one that will allow me to do what I want to do, and that I feel fits me well.

EvangelineRain

Rinkside
Did I miss something here? It sounds as if you want to buy skate boots the same way you'd buy shoes, as much (or more) for the look as for the fit. For skate boots, or any athletic/dance footwear the fit is the #1 Supreme Factor. How they feel unlaced, laced, standing up in them and walking around, and eventually on the ice. If you happen to try on two brands or models that feel equally supportive and comfortable, *then* it would be all right to take a look at them side by side and buy the one that looks prettier to you. But otherwise, if the skate shop has a mirror for people trying on dresses, stay away from it while being fitted for your boots.

Grafs might be a good choice for your foot shape.

Add a basic tried-and-true MK Pro blade (OK, that's the blade I've used forever, in competition and for recreational skating post-retirement, so I tend to push it) and you'll be ready to skate again.
I'll look into Grafs! Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't considered those. And also thanks for the recommendation of MK Pros! I've read a lot of good things about them and I think I'm sold.

I am indeed approaching these the same way I buy shoes (both street shoes and dance shoes), but not in the way you're suggesting -- once I find a shoe brand and style that fits me well and remains comfortable long term, I'll stick with that brand/style. So I agree, fit is the top priority. These (which I learned elsewhere are equivalent to Risport RF4s) fit me great back in the day, so it just makes sense to me to try on the "adult" version (RF3 Pro). And no one has actually articulated for me how the RF3 Pro shape is different from the RF4 boot shape.

The other factor that's been mentioned is that my feet may have changed, but it's not like I spent the last 30 years paying no attention to my feet. I switched to gymnastics and then dance, where your feet are critical to balance and your shoes have to fit perfectly. And I mean this in the most non-creepy way possible -- I've spent literally hours a week, every week, for most of the last 30 years staring at my feet. 🤣 All of gymnastics and half of dance is done barefoot. And I'm verrrrrrrrry picky about the fit of my dance shoes (which I haven't changed over the years, only when my old shoe brand was bought out and I switched to something very similar). So I'm confident when I say the shape of my foot hasn't changed.

Last edited:

EvangelineRain

Rinkside
The Grafs look like they have a lot of potential! Their website suggested that the Ruby Victory skate would be good for me based on my height/weight/skill level. I put "Intermediate" because I'm not beginner, but I've never been able to do an axel, so it seemed like the only option that fit. Does that recommendation sound right to you?

ETA: Just changed my weight to my current weight (which has recently been higher than normal) and then it recommended Ruby Champion instead. I'm assuming that's going to be the better recommendation even if I lose weight because of the ballet training.

Richmond Special is the skate that's recommended if I increase my skill level (the options are Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and Competitive... I don’t understand the difference between advanced and competitive, but I don’t see how I’d be any higher than intermediate).

Would appreciate your thoughts on these recommendations!

I'm also struggling to figure out who sells them. They're available in the US, right? I'm in Canada at the moment so it's hard to focus searches on US retailers (and the Graf website is being glitchy), but I'll look more when I get home.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum!

If you can let us know where you are in the US, then somebody will be able to recommend the perfect place for you to go to be fitted. I'm glad you want to be fitted properly and take so much care over your feet - we see so many people who really don't understand how important it is, even if they only skate "recreationally".

I know that you feel that Jacksons are too wide and that Riedells might be too narrow, but please try on everything that the fitter gives you to try. I came back to skating 6 years ago after having to stop in the 90s and the amount of change in every brand of equipment - not to mention me and my feet! - is mind-blowing. I feel that you are looking at the right level of equipment for what you want to achieve and how often you skate, but don't feel that MK Professional blades are the best and only option. If you can get Coronation Ace, they would be absolutely right, too. And if you can't get either of them, then go with Legacy 7s. Don't be tempted by the MK Pro or Coro Ace Lites, as they aren't nearly as good at the traditional versions and can make things a lot more tricky. There are definite supply issues with both MK Pros and Coronation Ace at the moment, so it's best you're aware of this.

As I said above, let us know where you are and we'll get you to the right fitter. And then it's happy skating!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The Grafs look like they have a lot of potential! Their website suggested that the Ruby Victory skate would be good for me based on my height/weight/skill level. I put "Intermediate" because I'm not beginner, but I've never been able to do an axel, so it seemed like the only option that fit. Does that recommendation sound right to you?

ETA: Just changed my weight to my current weight (which has recently been higher than normal) and then it recommended Ruby Champion instead. I'm assuming that's going to be the better recommendation even if I lose weight because of the ballet training.

Richmond Special is the skate that's recommended if I increase my skill level (the options are Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and Competitive... I don’t understand the difference between advanced and competitive, but I don’t see how I’d be any higher than intermediate).

Would appreciate your thoughts on these recommendations!

I'm also struggling to figure out who sells them. They're available in the US, right? I'm in Canada at the moment so it's hard to focus searches on US retailers (and the Graf website is being glitchy), but I'll look more when I get home.

Thanks again!
If the fitter tells you Graf is right for your feet, the Richmond Special. You don't need a beginner set skate with crap blades and composition of the boot overall unless you're 10 and only skate in circles.

Please do try every brand the fitter suggests though.

Coronation Ace traditional blades, if you cannot get those then MK Pro is good.

Good luck! And let us know where you are in Canada, I can suggest a fitter. You should be able to get any of these brands in US/Canada.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for the suggestion of Grafs! I'll look into them. I just mentioned Jacksons and Riedell because those are the ones I've researched the most (Jacksons I've owned and hate because they're wide; Riedells are a narrower option at a similar price point).

I'm just a recreational skater (in terms of my objective, not skill level), so a lot of brands just aren't at a reasonable price point to consider.

And I wasn't going to consider Risport for that reason, but I know that the shape of these worked so well for me (my feet are bigger but still the same shape), and there may be differences in their current styles, but they still have the same basic shape. I also know I won't know if I like any boot until I've worn them on the ice a couple times, so it's a very expensive gamble.

I also wanted to know what the stiffness was that I used to have, because I know I'll want stiffer than that (just because of my weight). So my old boots it turns out are the old version of Risport RF4s (stiffness 40), which for my current body, probably means I need a stiffness of at least 60, which would mean an RF3 Pro for the same skill level. Which seems like a reasonable option. And the RF3s indeed have a more similar shape to the Lasers than other brands I've researched (but I'll look at Grafs).

I'm not sure why you're saying these aren't great boots, but to clarify, this is just for my own occasional (no more than once a week) recreation and cross-training. I'm not likely to ever attempt an axel (but everything easier is fair game). So I'm not in the market for a "great" boot, just one that will allow me to do what I want to do, and that I feel fits me well.
Bolded part especially: I'm telling you this b/c they aren't great boots (the ones you showed us). Yes, you may not ever attempt an axel but with your ballet experience you're going to need at least a RF3Pro or Royal Pro if your fitter says Risport. I am also saying this b/c I'm a former elite, now professional who has tested many a boot and blade (all brands over my career and beyond) and can tell you pretty well what is going to work and not and know many fitters etc.

And IDK if I misinterpreted what you wrote above but I don't want to have a misunderstanding if you think I'm talking smack about Risport. B/c I'm definitely not b/c it's one of the brands I wore as an elite singles and Ice dancer and now pro. (the other were Jackson and then Klingbeil which no longer exist. I'm one of the first to suggest Risport in the lutz corner if I feel a skater is potentially right for them and they weren't really discussed before I got here 6 years ago.

So to sum that up: If the fitter we eventually suggest says that a Risport is right for your feet, then definitely go for them.

Good luck!

EvangelineRain

Rinkside
Bolded part especially: I'm telling you this b/c they aren't great boots (the ones you showed us). Yes, you may not ever attempt an axel but with your ballet experience you're going to need at least a RF3Pro or Royal Pro if your fitter says Risport. I am also saying this b/c I'm a former elite, now professional who has tested many a boot and blade (all brands over my career and beyond) and can tell you pretty well what is going to work and not and know many fitters etc.

And IDK if I misinterpreted what you wrote above but I don't want to have a misunderstanding if you think I'm talking smack about Risport. B/c I'm definitely not b/c it's one of the brands I wore as an elite singles and Ice dancer and now pro. (the other were Jackson and then Klingbeil which no longer exist. I'm one of the first to suggest Risport in the lutz corner if I feel a skater is potentially right for them and they weren't really discussed before I got here 6 years ago.

So to sum that up: If the fitter we eventually suggest says that a Risport is right for your feet, then definitely go for them.

Good luck!
Thanks! RF3 Pro is where I'm leaning (subject to vetting them with a fitter and trying them on). It's possible I'll end up going months in between skating, so I need something safe, but don't want to risk going too stiff and getting something I'll never break in (blowing my budget in the process).

Last edited:

EvangelineRain

Rinkside
If the fitter tells you Graf is right for your feet, the Richmond Special. You don't need a beginner set skate with crap blades and composition of the boot overall unless you're 10 and only skate in circles.

Please do try every brand the fitter suggests though.

Coronation Ace traditional blades, if you cannot get those then MK Pro is good.

Good luck! And let us know where you are in Canada, I can suggest a fitter. You should be able to get any of these brands in US/Canada.
I live in Los Angeles. Someone on another forum mentioned a place in Canoga Park?

I think Cyclone Taylor in Vancouver is where I got fitted a few years ago (I spend a lot of time in Vancouver since it's where I'm from), but that didn't work out well so I'm not inclined to make the effort to go back there.

Thanks!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I live in Los Angeles. Someone on another forum mentioned a place in Canoga Park?

I think Cyclone Taylor in Vancouver is where I got fitted a few years ago (I spend a lot of time in Vancouver since it's where I'm from), but that didn't work out well so I'm not inclined to make the effort to go back there.

Thanks!
Sent you a PM! Good luck!