Kim to skate at 2011 Worlds: Press release | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Kim to skate at 2011 Worlds: Press release

janetfan

Match Penalty
You absolutely should add "many thought" to your bag of debating tricks. By using this language you can say anything you want and blame it on Mr. Many. :clap: :clap: :clap:

But Nancy Kerrigan was not a princess/diva type of lady at all. Far from wealthy, her father worked out a deal where he would drive the Zamboni in exchange for skating lessons for his daughter. Throughout her life Nancy provided care for her mother, who suffers from a visual handicap. (Nancy is a spokesperson for a national organization that helps blind people, and has been involved in many charitable endeavors.) As a child Nancy was more interested in playing hockey with her brothers than in dressing up as an ice princess.

The times that she was criticized for being ungracious -- like when she said that posing with Mickey Mouse at Disneyland was "the corniest thing I ever did," -- well, she was just bluntly telling the truth.

"Many thought" Nancy's ungracious remark about Oksana "crying" was uncalled for and unsporting. Her image took a real hit for that and she quickly lost the "American sweetheart" status after it was played and replayed so many times.

"Many thought" Plushenko showed poor form and a lack of sportmanship with his whining in Vancouver.

"Many thought" he won and "many helped" make a "platinum medal'' for him.

"Many thought" the platinum medal was cheesey but I disagreed and see nothing wrong with "many" wanting to support him.

"Many think" Yuna is the greatest Lady skater in history. "Many fans" disagree.

"Many think" semantics are more important than the point being discussed. "Many here" are not good English speakers but it is frowned upon "by many" to ever bring this up.

Don't mess with Mr Many or Sir Winston Churchill....

" Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
My point, though, was that at the time, Michelle was not more deserving of attending the Olympics than Nancy on any grounds.
Ah Olympia when I said Michelle should have gone instead, it was just an impulse based on personal taste, i dont know the circumstances or what happened then, it was nothing actually to cause controversy! I dont know much about this era except for youtube, i just saw ALL lillehammer in one day, it was the heavy snowstorm day and I was in a mood for new skating!Next opportunity I ll watch Albertville!

You absolutely should add "many thought" to your bag of debating tricks. By using this language you can say anything you want and blame it on Mr. Many.

Yes but many people choose the many's opinion without thinking why , just because it is said by many. Voila, I did it.:biggrin: But what about the precious moments Mr many is proved wrong and I am right?:cool: I m practical, when someone says many, I want names.:laugh:

But Nancy Kerrigan was not a princess/diva type of lady at all. Far from wealthy, her father worked out a deal....
I didnt mean that at all!! First of all I like diva skaters on ice ;), from ladies Michelle and Sasha and Witt were the biggest ones. I connect divaness with intimidation and the it factor, so maybe I use wrong vocabulary, but diva in my vocabulary is good!
By princess skating I meant the one that delicate, flexible , gracious girls dressed like Cinderella, all perfect nothing to ruin the image, like a glam illustarted book. About Nancy I really REALLY have seen only her 1994 Olympic programs so I commented I got bored on her style of skating, nothing about her character would I comment or criticize, I dont usually do this for skaters, do i?:) I just had this impression from the way she approached the competition with her programs and outfits, dont take it the wrong way! That princess style many ladies want to adapt, and I m glad Mirai and Mao are escaping it successfully by the way. Maybe if I watch 1992 OLys I ll see another aspect of her skating.

sson4won

Spectator
Yuna will skate to Giselle and Homage to Korea, which is the start.
Now you guys talk about old Olympic games.

How far will this thread go?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I would have liked to have seen Usova & Zhulin win Oly Gold in Lillehammer but unfortunately their free dance was their worst one ever! Their off ice problems clearly spilled over into their skating which was sad, especialy in such an important year for them. Gritschuk & Platov had improved a whole lot from 92-93 but still had alot of polishing to do compared to future years. They were overrated at that point, and pretty much in all the years to come in fact, although they deserved some of their major titles I guess. :laugh: I thought Torvill & Dean were the clear winners. In compulsories they were rightfully placed 3rd, but in the OD and FD they far outperformed the two Russian teams with only Usova & Zhulin in the OD portion being anywhere close I thought. JMO though.

BTW this is how I would have marked the ladies event in Lillehammer:

Gold- Kerrigan 1st short, 3rd long
Silver- Chen 4th short, 2nd long
Bronze- Sato 7th short, 1st long
4th- Baiul 3rd short, 4th long
5th- Bonaly 2nd short, 5th long

Last edited:
Ah Olympia when I said Michelle should have gone instead, it was just an impulse based on personal taste, i dont know the circumstances or what happened then, it was nothing actually to cause controversy! I dont know much about this era except for youtube, i just saw ALL lillehammer in one day, it was the heavy snowstorm day and I was in a mood for new skating!Next opportunity I ll watch Albertville!
I

You didn't cause controversy (at least, not in my view). Believe me, Kwan was always more to my taste than Kerrigan, even at that young age. There was always something about Michelle.

I was glad you'd brought it up, actually. I found it fascinating to consider Lillehammer's skating from the vantage point of a fresh mind unburdened by the background story. I should try rewatching it myself, now that so much time has passed, and see what I see differently.

How neat to watch all of Lillehammer in one day, by the way! That's really studying it intensively. What did you think of Josee Chouinard of Canada? She was a wonderful skater who tended to let her nerves get to her, and she really got shafted by Tonya because Tonya asked for a time-out to fix her broken lace or whatever. The rules were that the next person had to get on the ice right away or forfeit. Poor Josee was probably anxious enough as it was, and she had to make that now-or-never choice.

Did you watch the other disciplines? If so, what did you think of Kurt's long program? As I recall, it was splendid, but he'd dug such a deep hole in the short program that he couldn't medal. Speaking of "consolation medals" made by fans, Kurt was given one by Canadians. Fans and supporters sent in gold jewelry, and the whole thing was melted down into a good-sized maple leaf medal (the symbol of Canada) to present to Kurt as a surprise. It was a gorgeous act, to honor a true sportsman and gentleman.

By all means, watch Albertville. As I recall, Kerrigan was in great position to win the silver medal after the short, and then she botched her long program a bit but still came up with bronze, thus giving American ladies two medals. Also see if you can find her exhibition skate, a pairs number with her training partner Paul Wylie to music from Miss Saigon. And while you're at it, watch Wylie's amazing long program, and Petrenko's. Those two guys were electrifying. Let us know (or PM me) what you think!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
How neat to watch all of Lillehammer in one day, by the way! That's really studying it intensively. What did you think of Josee Chouinard of Canada? She was a wonderful skater who tended to let her nerves get to her, and she really got shafted by Tonya because Tonya asked for a time-out to fix her broken lace or whatever. The rules were that the next person had to get on the ice right away or forfeit. Poor Josee was probably anxious enough as it was, and she had to make that now-or-never choice.

boy you want to read an opinion on THAT Olympic Drama - read Scott Hamilton's book. WOW he was none too kind to Harding :laugh:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Caroline was very very cute...at that time.
Thank you. Anybody else ?
In that age...I believe Sasha at her Junior Nationals, Michelle in East of Eden program and Mao's 2005 programs were also very impressive in adition to Yuna's.;)
Olympia said:
How neat to watch all of Lillehammer in one day, by the way! That's really studying it intensively.

Actually I m not that good fs student, I just slipped on snow in previous days and sprained my ankle, I had to stay home doing nothing for couple of days, it was a good opportunity to watch past Olys, I had plenty of time:biggrin: Yes I watched all, and the Hamilton commentary was very informative for a chage. Was puzzled though when he said Boitano can bounce up to Gold, with help of Petrenko and Kurt. And so much talk about the quads,lol! I enjoyed pais a lot, from Ice Dance I l liked the two russian couples and then I read the soap opera behind them! I didnt know Navka and Sale had different partners and Bereznaya was baby!
I dont remember the girl you asked me, by her name, the Tonia shoe thing reminded me of Oda. I dont like Harding at all as a skater but the whole incident must have been hard for her also, media were unbearable.
From men , I learnt scott davis, great spins, Steven Cousins,I hadnt seen Stojko before except for SLC, I will probably never like him but realized he had a unique style, that was not introduced before. Sp in men was disastrous, to see all the men burried in KnC but I kept thinking Browning would have won under CoP, his Casablanca was a beauty, I went after and looked all his world winning programs! Urmanov as skater I didnt like much but he was too handsome:p I hardly recognised Moskvina and Mishin! Petrenko in LP was nice, reminded me of young Plushenko, i should state this probaply the opposite way! Candeloro..I was speechless, i dont know if i liked this or not but he is memorable for sure! By the way was it allowed to knee on the ice? I saw it in many step sequences!My conclusion was that from commentators and skaters almost all had much more hair than now!And that the studio commentary is always in front of a fireplace:)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Re: Casablanca - it was used by the ISU when teaching CoP to judges in what was a complete program... so, yeah, he probably would have at the very least been on the podium...

then again with his disaster of an SP he wouldn't have been held up as much as he was either.

I didn't know that, Tonichelle, but I'm not surprised. Browning has been a phenomenal skater, both as an amateur and as a pro. That was a Sandra Bezic program, I think.

Seniorita, thanks for your views. I had forgotten that Scott Davis was there at that Olympics. He was a tremendous spinner, though not always consistent with jumps. Urmanov was never my favorite skater either, but he was gracious in victory and later (when hampered by injuries) in defeat, and I came to like him and enjoy his work. Candeloro was such fun, a showman to his fingertips.

I see why you thought of Plushy when you watched Petrenko. Both had the most meticulous jumps. But Petrenko was never the commanding presence that Plushenko is on the ice. Plushenko is born to be in the spotlight. By contrast, Viktor was a modest, almost shy man, and when he tried to be "out there" and a bit sexy, it always came across as forced. He is a gentleman and a hero in real life, though, which colors the way I feel about his skating. The year he won his gold, 1992, I was rooting for Wylie because I was a longtime Wylie fan, but now looking back, I realize that it was indeed Petrenko who deserved to win that year, and Wylie did just fine with his silver anyway.

Yeah, apparently there was quite a bit of drama backstage with the ice dancers. Zhulin was quite the man about town, though a brilliant skater and choreographer. Of the two pairs, I always preferred Usova/Zhulin's fluid, lyrical style, while I found Grishuk/Platov a bit hectic. Talk of who had the better technique I will leave to experts like Doris--I am not well enough versed in that. Clearly both couples are wonderful, though.

When you get to 1992, you will get to see two couples who really tore the house down, the Duchesnays and Klimova/Ponomarenko. I think Usova/Zhulin were the third couple that year, and they were also splendid. That is one year that I truly felt that the Olympic medals could have gone to any of them, in any order. See if you agree.

By the way, I know that this is off topic, but I don't think it's out of place here. After all, they're all in the pantheon of Champs Now and Forever, which is where Kim is as well. We can talk about her as well! Has everyone seen her ad? It's adorable, and it's on YouTube. I've forgotten: I think it's a Samsung ad, and she is just so at home in front of the camera. She's turning into quite a Renaissance woman!

Last edited: