Kim to skate at 2011 Worlds: Press release | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Kim to skate at 2011 Worlds: Press release

dlgpffps

Final Flight
I love Giselle, I m trying to think who has skated this music and I think Arakawa did a thousand years ago and recently Nakano?

There's Nicole Bobek, Angela Nikodinov, Steigler & Steigler, Miki, Yukari and Ekaterina Gordeeva. I'm looking up Giselle pieces at the moment. Never loved Giselle as skating music, but I expect Yu-na to bring something different.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
That is good news, the rest of ladies might wake up a little, it has been a bad season so far! I love Giselle, I m trying to think who has skated this music and I think Arakawa did a thousand years ago and recently Nakano? I think it is something different for Yuna and I m looking forward to it.
As for her not competing this season, if she managed to stay calm during Olys with all the spotlights and crazyness on her and the pressure to win, i think Worlds would be a piece of cake in comparisson.

Angelia Nikodinov also skated to Giselle

YunaBliss

On the Ice
So looking forward to the Return of the Queen!

As clearly demonstrated during this season, the sport is not the same without its shining star.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
So looking forward to the Return of the Queen!

As clearly demonstrated during this season, the sport is not the same without its shining star.

I guess count me in the minority, but I hardly notice she's missing. Too each their own, I suppose, but considering there are four disiplines and ladies has always been my least favorite it doesn't bother me as much. Mens, Dance, and [even] Pairs are so much more exciting.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
I guess count me in the minority, but I hardly notice she's missing. Too each their own, I suppose, but considering there are four disiplines and ladies has always been my least favorite it doesn't bother me as much. Mens, Dance, and [even] Pairs are so much more exciting.

Yes, I confirm you are definitely in the minority, as far as general public is concerned :p Ladies FS has always been THE attraction for the general mass, as I am sure you know.

As for the impact of Yuna's absence in this year's GP circuit, even if you are not a fan of Yuna, wouldn't a fan of figure skating want to see its best athletes compete for championships? Would you say that watching Wimbledon without Federer / Nadal participating is still the same?

Anyway, with Mao probably gearing up to perform her very best in Tokyo and Yuna returning, this WC will likely more than make up for the lackluster competitions in the ladies' field so far, and that is great for figure skating, no matter where your allegiance lies.

berrycute

On the Ice
Does this mean she scrapped her planned SP with Shae-Lynn Bourne? I thought when I first heard the SP would be Giselle that it was quite a departure for Shae-Lynn to use music that highbrow (no offense, SLB), but now it seems Yu-Na is going double-David Wilson again? Not that I'd be sad about that, he's the classiest choreographer out there IMO. Love his Kiira/Evita number!

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
1. Doesn't this thread belong in Yu Na News?
2. Glad she's skating to Giselle. However, she doesn't need turnout to be convincing. Anna Pavlova, considered one of the finest dancers, had horrid turnout.
3. Her skating to Arirang is reminiscent of Katarina Witt skating to Sag Mir Wo Die Blumen Sind in Lillehammer. It wasn't really for her, but more for the people.

ETA-- While I am glad to see her skating to Giselle, I see Alissa Czisny as more the Giselle type.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker

sigh..i was hoping she would return to men so Chan can have competition:laugh:
I kid:cool: Dai and Kozuka can stop her as well.

Layfan

Record Breaker
:):)Layfan..you're so right.All yuna really needs is a bit of turnout. Her carriage is just fine, her arms are very graceful..just the turnout of the free leg would complete the picture.

I thought I did notice a bit of improvement in the last year or two, but I've sometimes wondered if working on it at this late stage of development would create other slight problems. I don't mean anything that couldn't be overcome, but she might have had some resistance to really focus on it ( what with all the pressure on her to excel ) , if it caused her to change say, anything in her jump entrances or exits. This year "off " would have been a perfect time, if she was going to do it.

Looking forward to her return.

"Complete the picture" - that's a good way of putting it. :yes:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Does this mean she scrapped her planned SP with Shae-Lynn Bourne?

that was my first reaction, but considering Shae Lynn sort of leaked info to Brian that caused some of the media uproar over teh summer, maybe Shae got the boot?

As for the impact of Yuna's absence in this year's GP circuit, even if you are not a fan of Yuna, wouldn't a fan of figure skating want to see its best athletes compete for championships?

Sure, but Boitano, Browning, Yamaguchi, Ito, etc all retired years ago. :rolleye:

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Looking forward to seeing YuNa's 2 new programs at Worlds, great choice of music for her. I am prepared to be dazzled!!

janetfan

Match Penalty
LOL!
feeling like little snarky today?;)

Heck, even I would admit Plushy is in forced retirement at the moment....along with voluntary retirements from Evan and Johnny.

I see no way the three of them could not have qualified for the GPF "pageant" if they were still competing.

But I am starting to like this Kozuka. What a talented skater he is.......:rock:

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Heck, even I would admit Plushy is in forced retirement at the moment....along with voluntary retirements from Evan and Johnny.

I see no way the three of them could not have qualified for the GPF "pageant" if they were still competiting.

But I am starting to like this Kozuka. What a talented skater he is.......:rock:

Oh, why? I don't believe in any way that Johnny could be a lock in GPF in this year's field. Any way ... How did Plushy, Evan, and Johnny manage to get into the Queen's thread?:think::biggrin:

I'm very happy that Yu Na is going to the Worlds. Cross my fingers for her.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
just a tad, but my feelings stand. MY Golden Era are starting to enter their 40s... and I've yet to be as dazzled... it's been over 20 years!

Toni you could have been dazzled by the Kween but no matter how hard us Kwan fans tried, you refused to see her greatness. ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Toni you could have been dazzled by the Kween but no matter how hard us Kwan fans tried, you refused to see her greatness. ;)

You know I tried, several times... 2005 I was expecting to come away changed... seeing her live, that's what you all told me would do it... if anything she was even more lackluster than on TV :laugh:

seniorita

Record Breaker
You know I tried, several times... 2005 I was expecting to come away changed... seeing her live, that's what you all told me would do it... if anything she was even more lackluster than on TV :laugh:
from aaaaall the Kween seasons, you decided to look and change at 2005??? YOU jinxed her Worlds?:unsure:

just a tad, but my feelings stand. MY Golden Era are starting to enter their 40s... and I've yet to be as dazzled... it's been over 20 years!
Usually our golden era is the first things we saw and loved in fs when we were young and innocent. But there is always room for the newbies :)

God I sound like my mum....:rolleye:

Last edited:

Aw, you missed her! 2005 Nationals was her one lackluster performance out of 13 times at U.S. senior Nationals. (She won anyway. :) )