Kim Yu-Na says Sochi result behind her | Golden Skate

Kim Yu-Na says Sochi result behind her

Taan

On the Ice
Kim Yu-Na says 'absurd' Sochi result behind her:unsure:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...bg?docId=973e09cb-acc9-480f-b717-a74d9c993565
Seoul — South Korea's Kim Yu-Na Tuesday described the judging of the women's figure skating at the Sochi Winter Olympics as "absurd", but said the controversy was behind her following her retirement.

The 2010 Vancouver Olympics champion won silver in Sochi behind Russian skater Adelina Sotnikova despite turning in a characteristically error-free performance.

The result sparked heated debate over whether Kim was robbed of a repeat Olympic gold medal.

"It was all very absurd but I was happy that everything was over," Kim said at an event with fans in Seoul, referring to the judging of her performance in the final competition of her career.

"I have never looked back at the result (since then)," she said.
:unsure:

Ven

Match Penalty
It was absurd. A farce. A joke. A disgrace to the sport and anyone who follows it or doesn't want to follow it anymore.

What else do you want her to say? She was most dignified in the face of conspiracy. Who else could have done the same?

CalebsMom

Rinkside
Incorrect translation again. She said "어이없다" that means "I was baffled (by the results.)"

nguyenghita

On the Ice
Stop release any mistranslated article :sarcasm:

Please, journalists, if you know nothing about korean language, just leave it alone :slink:

EricRohmer

On the Ice
[“It was all very absurd.“] ← While ‘absurd‘ is not the accurate translation, why does the reporter even add ‘all very‘?

parma

On the Ice
[“It was all very absurd.“] ← While ‘absurd‘ is not the accurate translation, why does the reporter even add ‘all very‘?

'Cause they wanna sell some papers, or attract some clicks I guess. Absurd is too strong for what she actually said. "Baffled" would be a closer translation, because her Korean word choice describes more of 'how she felt' rather than of 'how right or wrong the result was'

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
CalebsMom, EricRohmer and parma, thanks for the corrections. 'It was absurd' didn't sound like something Yuna would say at all.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Did she actually say that she was baffled by the result in particular or by the ridiculous kerfuffle that followed? Because I read that the other way, that she was baffled by the rubbish that people carried on with, the petition crap...

seabm7

Final Flight
Did she actually say that she was baffled by the result in particular or by the ridiculous kerfuffle that followed? Because I read that the other way, that she was baffled by the rubbish that people carried on with, the petition crap...

She was baffled "by the result" in particular.

EricRohmer

On the Ice
Absurd is too strong for what she actually said. "Baffled" would be a closer translation, because her Korean word choice describes more of 'how she felt' rather than of 'how right or wrong the result was'

This.

parma

On the Ice
'Cause they wanna sell some papers, or attract some clicks I guess. Absurd is too strong for what she actually said. "Baffled" would be a closer translation, because her Korean word choice describes more of 'how she felt' rather than of 'how right or wrong the result was'

The mistranslation aside, I think she has had a say on this issue all along and rightfully made herself and how she felt heard today. Hope her short but candid comment today isn't wasted by the skating community that has the reforming of the ISU judging system at hand.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
CalebsMom, EricRohmer and parma, thanks for the corrections. 'It was absurd' didn't sound like something Yuna would say at all.

Re: mis-translation, it might be a good idea for the mods to remove "absurd" from the thread title. No sense repeating the inaccuracy, right? Just sayin'....

Edit -- to be clear: no blame to the OP, who was only quoting what he/she read.

jaylee

Medalist

That's a bit better than the AFP article. The problem with the AFP article isn't so much the translation of "absurd" or "baffling", but the headline, which specifically says Yuna says the result was absurd. Headlines are not written by the article author.

In the context of the article, Yuna saying "It was all very absurd" (or baffling, or whatever) is not controversial at all, as it could refer to the scoring controversy or anything else.

Unless she actually said "The result was absurd", her words are totally being taken out of context.

Even in English the word "baffling" has different shades of meaning. "I am baffled by the results" is about me and my state of mind. "The results are baffling" is more like saying, "no one can make sense of the results."

Anyway, Kim's main message is, "I have moved on."

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Oh, noes, a headline/article suggested that a skater might be expressing something other than bland acceptance, even of something fans criticize plenty? How dare she! They're not supposed to have any thoughts or opinions other than, "I'm happy I did my best." Better debate this for 10+ pages like all the other times this sort of abomination has occurred.

cooper

Medalist
Oh, noes, a headline/article suggested that a skater might be expressing something other than bland acceptance, even of something fans criticize plenty? How dare she! They're not supposed to have any thoughts or opinions other than, "I'm happy I did my best." Better debate this for 10+ pages like all the other times this sort of abomination has occurred.

i know. haha...

i was hoping that actually yuna would say this.. though i know she's always been guarded from everything she says from the past years.. i would love to see someone who will fight for her right whether she's correct or not.. i guess that's why figure skating lacks drama and fire.. other than ashley.. and maybe katarina witt and browning.. no one is really standing up from this controversy..

PftJump

On the Ice
Her message today is very clear.
"Anybody need OGM? Keep it. I'm leaving anyway(from all of contradictions)"

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm not a Bread-attached girl."